Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie questions about USA maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions about USA maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaypr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions about USA maps Reply with quote

Hi,

Planning a trip to Florida in May and thought about getting the USA/Canada maps for my Tom Tom One.

I read somewhere(here i think) that the US maps don't use Zip codes to find destinations so how exactly do you navigate to your destination?

My other question is, is it worth buying the maps sooner rather than later. What i mean is can i actually put in points of interests and directions here in the UK before i travel to the US.

Cheers, Jason
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use ZIP codes too (they are part of the US map data), it's just not that common. People over here are more navigating by street name and city name.

yes on the second question.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions about USA maps Reply with quote

jaypr wrote:
Hi,

Planning a trip to Florida in May and thought about getting the USA/Canada maps for my Tom Tom One.

I read somewhere(here i think) that the US maps don't use Zip codes to find destinations so how exactly do you navigate to your destination?

My other question is, is it worth buying the maps sooner rather than later. What i mean is can i actually put in points of interests and directions here in the UK before i travel to the US.

Cheers, Jason

TT do a SE US which is all you'd need for Florida.

Tw
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

yes you can navigate to zip codes in america but usa zip codes dont work the same as postcodes, in the uk the first part of the postcode is the area (ie tw4) and the second is the street or collection of houses (ie -6bn). in the usa the 5 digit zip code relates only to the area (ie 34747 is kissimmee) and there is another 4 digits that the americans rarely use (ie 0104). in tomtom you can only navigate to the 5 digit code

it is worth buying the maps when you find the deal that is right for you. by this i mean there is 3 ways to buy the maps. 1, sd card 2, download and 3, cd rom

1 sd card. this will have the whole of the 48 continental states on 1 card and you can navigate from miami to las vegas without switching maps or cards (about 120 quid)

2 download. you can download only the areas you want (ie southeast region, midwest ect) but you cant navigate from one to the other, you have to navigate the the edge of one then switch maps then navigate to your destination(60 euros per region)

3 cd rom. this is much the same as downloading the maps but you can put only florida on your sd card if that is all you want on the card. i have great britian and florida on 1 card as its easier for me (if you can find them about 80 quid)

for option 2 or 3 you will need to get an sd card that can hold all the info.

the choice is yours, i hope this info helped

and finally it is possible to look at your route (using plan route or browse map) when in england but it wont let you "navigate to" until it gets a valid gps signal in the usa, it will also allow you to add pois and favorites before you go

when i get off the plane it seems to take a hell of a long time to find a signal so switch it on when you are stuck in the queue for your rental car

linrew
jaypr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys Smile

Ordered the complete maps on SD card from Amazon in the end for £106.76 delivered but its not in stock at the moment so i'll have to wait a week or so.

Went for the whole lost on SD as we have traveled to different parts of the US in the past and will probably do so in the future.

Cheers, Jason
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi TIREDEYES

i dont think you can order the se region on sd card i think its download only and you purchase your own card

when you have downloaded it you run the set up and it loads it to your card then you just put it in the tomtom, turn it on then type in your activation code and off you go

tomtom email you with where to go to download the files and where to go to get your product code then you goto www.ttcode.com enter your product code and your device code, it will then give you your activation code which you type in when asked by your tomtom

linrew :D

hi JAYPR

dont forget to make a backup copy of your sd card when you get it, just in case

it will fit easily onto a dvd

if you require any pois then send me a PM with your email address and i will send you some. most of what i have is campgrounds but i do have walmart, cosco, hard rock cafe, cracker barrel and dunkin donuts(MA only)

linrew :D :D
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tiredeyes

yes i have the origonal go (classic) and two other members of my family have 300s

the southeast region is being used by my mother this week in florida and she hasnt had any problems that i know of.

i downloaded it along with the other regions she purchased (poor old dear still only has dial up and se region is 221mb)and put them on a dvd and sent them to her and she loaded them onto a 1gb card. if my mum can do it anybody can. if all you have on the card is the se region you will have to download the tomtom 5.420 update and install that on the card as well because the regions just come as maps and not the operating software

i used the 1gb sd card version for traveling from orlando to tennessee last year and i also have a 512 card with great britian,france and florida on it (florida came from the cd version)

i dont know what the largest card you can use is, i believe a 2gb card works fine(other readers will let us know if not) but the largest card i own is a 1gb card, this holds all of the usa if purchased on sd card...if you purchase the region versions or cd rom version and want all of them on a card the total is about 1.4gb

if you have a 1gb card you will easily get great britian and southeast region on it with loads of room (at least 600mb) for other things. there is still plenty of room if all you have is 512mb card but if you are going to get a new card for both then i would get a 1gb card as the cost difference isnt that much(i paid 30quid for my kingston 1gb card) and it give plenty of room for any future maps you may get

hope this helps

linrew :D :D
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

yes you can just copy accross to the new card from your old one but to install se region you will have to unzip it run the setup, this will install it on your card

as far as i know there is no speed camera database for the usa

the pois in the usa maps are extremly good. if you want to find disney mgm just navigate to "poi" then choose "attraction" and select disney mgm

the catagories have loads of pois in them. if you want food choose "resturant" and it will bring hundreds up to choose from, anything from mcdonalds,burger king to outback steakhouse and cracker barrel. the difficult part is choosing which one to go to.. the down side is that it seems to only bring up the nearest 100 resturants so if you want a certain resturant lets say cracker barrel you will have to type in cracker and it will bring up all resturants begining with cracker

linrew Laughing Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: