Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A new PPC needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A new PPC needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
alan_sh wrote:

The 4700 has by far the best screen resolution. Don't worry about using WM2003 instead of WM5 - it is not a problem and it runs faster than WM5 (don't ask how I know - I work for HP!!).
This is the exact reason why I said earlier in this thread I will be "sitting on the fence" with respect to the 4700 WM2005 "upgrade" - as the device was built to run 2003SE, it is probably better to leave the OS alone. The other reason is the relatively limitted memory avail that is "persistant" as WM2005 will only load programs into this area, it will soon get consumed, the plus side of cource being that there will allways be loads of RAM avail for programs to run in.
I do agree with the screen comments its a great bit of equipment, yes it runs hot but doesn't seem to suffer from this, the only real down side to the 4700 is the speaker and audio volume, you need an amplified car mount for it to be of much use with a sat nav application - Mike

The X51v has 256mb of ROM which takes care of the persistent memory usage of WM5 and its speaker is more than adequate for satnav use in my 2000W Audi A6 at legal speeds and beyond. And before you ask, the reason my sig. shows an amplified mount is that it was bought as insurance in case the Axim's speaker was not up to the job. I do not use the mount's amplification and the mount will be retired soon. I have not seen a 4700 so cannot compare its screen to the X51v's 640x480 which I find excellent, and I'm picky about screens/monitors generally.
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. In the end I have plumped for the Dell Axim X51V. The price is superb at £215 all in. The offer ends this week as well.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boblister wrote:
Thank's, I appreciate that Alan. Can the 4700 go to WM5. I am going from a 3970 that originally had WM2003 on but was installed with WM5 when it was returned repaired from HP. The 3970 is a lot older iPaq as well.

Bob.

As far as I know, the 3970 cannot run WM5 - so I am unsure how you got that to work (the 3970 has no "Ipaqstore")

The 4700 can run WM5 (when it arrives next month), but there is no need to do so - it is fine with WM2003.

The comment (regarding WM5) about "all programs are stored in persistant store" isn't quite true - you can still store programs on the SD or CF card. And, since in WM2003, I install to SD or the IPAQ File store, it makes WM5 no better (and no worse) than what I have today.

Incidently, I run my 4700 in the car with no amplification and it is fine. I have a Ford Mondeo - what are you guys running that you cannot hear it?

Alan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, My experience with the 4700 is based on three units used by different people, the audio when pushed to full volume tends to break the speaker (two out of three in a twelve month period), I on the otherhand use an amplified mount and have suffered no problems with the device, it is a great bit of kit, but these days I prefer the XDA units for there combined functionality.
By the way car is not noisy, it’s a Volvo 740 Turbo but I did find the 4700 lacking in the audio department without the amplified mount, will wait and see what the new ROM upgrade has to offer before I switch across, the 4700 gets very little use these days apart from the Digital Multimeter and Data Acquisition cards that I mess around with - Mike
robbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had an issue with sound not being loud enough on my 4700. Volume is usually set about half way. My car is not the quietest either.

Robbie
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an audio ROM update to cure speaker problems - been out for quite a while now.
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, the HX2790 has both CF and SDIO.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: