Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Interesting Email From Garmin......
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Email From Garmin......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marbar2k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Interesting Email From Garmin...... Reply with quote

i emailed tech support to ask in the new firmware if they would consider adding you current speed in navigation mode rather than arrival time and this was their reply

"Thank you for your email. I am not sure if this feature will be implemented
in the future however I would like to pass this suggestion to our software
engineers.

I can not guarantee this will be introduced however Garmin will consider
your suggestion.

Thank you"
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's their standard reply. I got exactly the same when I made a suggestion about the proximity alerts not taking precedence over the directions.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting Email From Garmin...... Reply with quote

marbar2k wrote:
i emailed tech support to ask in the new firmware if they would consider adding you current speed in navigation mode rather than arrival time

Well I wouldn't vote for it.

I quite like having an estimate for ETA, as for speed, I can get that from my speedo.

Having the option to alter between the two is acceptable, but I wouldn't vote to give up ETA in favour of speed.
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting Email From Garmin...... Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
marbar2k wrote:
i emailed tech support to ask in the new firmware if they would consider adding you current speed in navigation mode rather than arrival time

Well I wouldn't vote for it.

I quite like having an estimate for ETA, as for speed, I can get that from my speedo.

Having the option to alter between the two is acceptable, but I wouldn't vote to give up ETA in favour of speed.

Agreed. Eta is much more useful than speed. After all, no one asks you what speed your doing - only what time you will arrive.
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys really find that the ETA has any resemblance to fact? 8O
mattred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Like the ETA. If i want to know my speed i look at my speedo. Nothing else tells you when you will arive so why double up on speed!!

Matt
mattred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjbsec wrote:
You guys really find that the ETA has any resemblance to fact? 8O

To a certain extent yes.

It doesnt know if you will get stuck in trafic a mile down the road but when you do it adds time. Its useful to know roughly how far away from your destination you are.

I accept its not perfect but how could it be. Better than knowing what speed your doing when you have a speedo
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I already have a big analogue speedo and wouldn't find a tiny digital one any use. I don't need it to be that accurate as most of the time i judge my speed against the other road traffic.

I also find the ETA is accurate. I use my i3 to find my way to clients. I can rely on the ETA to tell me how long it'll take to get there. Obviously if you drive well above the Speed Limit or during heavy traffic it's use is limited as it can't calculate delays etc.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 30 mile trip today the ETA fluctuated by a maximum of 5 minutes so I would say it's precise enough. Admittedly this was a rural route with light traffic but you can't expect a GPS to predict traffic.

I don't thing speed in nav mode is necessary, the speedo is accurate enough and easier to read.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpkin wrote:
On a 30 mile trip today the ETA fluctuated by a maximum of 5 minutes so I would say it's precise enough. Admittedly this was a rural route with light traffic but you can't expect a GPS to predict traffic.

I don't thing speed in nav mode is necessary, the speedo is accurate enough and easier to read.

Second that, you have my vote too.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think telling you the road distance to destination would be a useful feature - perhaps toggling every 10 seconds or so with ETA.

I also use my speedo for telling me my speed but I am a bluff old traditionalist (to quote Blackadder).

Nick.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ETA was pretty naff to begin with but it seems to get more accurate the more you use it. i presume it 'remembers' your average speeds on certain road types. and uses these in it's calculations?

MaFt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
the ETA was pretty naff to begin with but it seems to get more accurate the more you use it. i presume it 'remembers' your average speeds on certain road types. and uses these in it's calculations?

Yes, it adapts according to the progress you are making. Also, if you are 10 minutes away from your destination and you hit a traffic jam, it will still show the ETA as 10 minutes away since it has no way of knowing when you will get moving again.

If you get on the motorway at 100 MPH then you can see the ETA counting down (so I am told by a police person who uses a Garmin and tried it on an emergency call or something Wink Rolling Eyes )
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
MaFt wrote:

Yes, it adapts according to the progress you are making. Also, if you are 10 minutes away from your destination and you hit a traffic jam, it will still show the ETA as 10 minutes away since it has no way of knowing when you will get moving again.

If you get on the motorway at 100 MPH then you can see the ETA counting down (so I am told by a police person who uses a Garmin and tried it on an emergency call or something Wink Rolling Eyes )

That's why I don't think it's that adaptive - as in historic data, used in future.

I have it calculate a route, and drive on it. Say a reasonable length motorway journey. Now let's say I happend to drive a little quicker, than it thinks I might ;-) - true enough the ETA can decrease a little. Then lets say weather or weight of traffic means my speed reduces to perhaps the speed it likely expects, my ETA doesn't increase again, until my speed drops below what it probably assumes is likely on the motorway.

And if I calculate the same route the next day, the ETA doesn't seem affected by my having done the route quicker than it would likely expect, the day before...

Having said all that, I think the ETA thing works reasonably well and as good as can be expected for a unit that can't take into account things like TMC input. In good, unhampered conditions, the ETA can be reasonably on the money. And as a feature, I think it's very useful to have a good idea of how long a journey is likely to take, delays or stops notwithstanding.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:

Having said all that, I think the ETA thing works reasonably well and as good as can be expected for a unit that can't take into account things like TMC input. In good, unhampered conditions, the ETA can be reasonably on the money. And as a feature, I think it's very useful to have a good idea of how long a journey is likely to take, delays or stops notwithstanding.

i've been pretty impressed withthe ETA actually - the only downside is when i tell a firend/family member that i will be there at 11.07 and they say "why not just say 'just after 11'??!" Laughing Out Loud

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: