Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can CP6 be used purely as a camera warning device?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can CP6 be used purely as a camera warning device?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Can CP6 be used purely as a camera warning device? Reply with quote

Now I've read enough of the threads in this section, I have regular warnings about cameras from CP6 when on planned routes.

However, on my previous PDA (iPAQ with CP3) I also used to use Trafcam, which was a standalone GPS camera warning system.

Is there any way I can use either CP6 or the camera database to give me JUST camera warnings. Its a bit of a PITA to have to plot a route purely so I can be told of cameras.

I found the "where am I" facility in CP6 (just plots progress on the map). It shows the camera POI symbol, but no voice message, or even a beep.

Any ideas?
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting lonely in here..... Rolling Eyes

OK - lets put it another way - is there any way I can use the PGPS camera database in any kind of standalone way to give me camera warnings ONLY? (like Trafcam)
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NigelO writes:

Quote:
getting lonely in here.....

Sorry, Nigel.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm no computer man - and I'm prone to having to withdraw the occasional conclusion that I have drawn in haste. However, I believe that you won't get any warnings under any circumstances unless you set a route first.

It is a pity, I agree.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I agree it would be good to have the function to have POI warnings in what I will call roaming mode i.e. no "trip" running.

I wonder if they will update CP to have such a facility?

Smile
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that they will ever enable camera warnings without a route, since cameras are detected according to their proximity to the road that you intend to travel on. If you're coming up to a junction, it wouldn't know which alternate road to check. Warnings are not much good unless they are announced in advance of you getting to the cameras.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iankb writes:

Quote:
… cameras are detected according to their proximity to the road that you intend to travel on. If you're coming up to a junction, it wouldn't know which alternate road to check.

That seems to make sense, although I must admit that I am not really sure about it. A couple of points spring to mind:

Arrow I have found that Copilot already warns of cameras that are off route – ones that are within the catchment limit set in the preferences (e.g. 0.5 miles).
Arrow I have no experience of standalone camera warning devices. Do they have to have a route set? If not, how do they work unless they too potentially warn of every camera off every exit from the next roundabout?
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Northernbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP5 certainly couldn't do what your asking m8 and I didn't see any mention of it on the CP6 blurb when i was thinking of upgrading a few months back, or since.

TT5 does do it though, no route planned, drive round and any POI's you've told it to notify you of get flagged up same as they would if you were driving a planned route.
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
I doubt that they will ever enable camera warnings without a route, since cameras are detected according to their proximity to the road that you intend to travel on. If you're coming up to a junction, it wouldn't know which alternate road to check. Warnings are not much good unless they are announced in advance of you getting to the cameras.

Not so sure that is the 'correct' way of looking at it!

CP POI's are (AFAIK) waypoints, CP is not detecting anything it is simply announcing what, by your preselection, lies ahead but having said that if a camera is within the notification distance of say 0.2 miles and it is on a "trip" that has a right/left turn ahead, it should/does announce that.

But I would have thought announcements based on roaming i.e. not trip should be possible by adding such a setting in the POI and map preferences.

Smile
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what Northernbloke says, it seems that the distances specified in the setup must be what prevent a navigator or speed camera checker from warning of every POI/camera whether on the route or not.

I was going to suggest that this would be a nice selling point for Copilot if it were to take the trouble to introduce it - however much any of us doubt that they will. Northernbloke has knocked that one on the head, though, by pointing out that TomTom can do it anyway.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

searcher22 writes:

Quote:
...CP is not detecting anything
(my bold & italics)

That's why, although I hadn't noticed that iankb used that term, I was careful not to use it myself.

It's an interesting point in the context of standalone devices. I could almost swear that I have seen advertisements for "speed camera detectors", which is surely misleading. I wonder if vendors have had to give refunds on that basis.

By the way, I don't believe that there are any preference settings that will enable CP 6 to check for POIs without a route set.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that standalone devices must 'look' a certain distance to each side of their current heading, with an increase in width as they 'look' further away, to allow for bends. In that case, they could give a late warning if the camera is around a tight corner.

I think that CoPilot 'looks' at a certain distance to each side of the route, so it can handle bends much better. I think that because one configures 'detection' of POI's by distance from road, and not by the angle from heading that standalone devices would have to use, and because it doesn't report cameras on roads that turn off from my route.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb writes:

Quote:
I believe that standalone devices must 'look' a certain distance to each side of their current heading...

Possibly, but are you sure that isn’t what CP 6 does?

As we know, and as you more or less say, CP 6 has settings for how far ahead it will check for cameras, and for "On" or "Near" the route. What these terms mean has not been defined for users despite, I believe, efforts by others to get some definitions from ALK. It seems to me that we need these definitions, among other information, before any of us can be sure exactly what happens.

While we don’t have complete information, matter-of-fact statements sometimes appear to be based on nothing more than speculation and, therefore, can be misleading. The use of superlatives when saying how one believes CP works can also be difficult to interpret; e.g. "… much better…". Finally, I am not sure whether iankb is still asserting that Copilot checks for POIs on the basis of the intended route or, alternatively, on the basis of present location and heading.

I have no reason to doubt, iankb, that you have not seen CP 6:

Quote:
…report cameras on roads that turn off from [your]route

Nevertheless, as I said before, it does so on some of my routes. As yet, we don’t know why there is this difference; maybe it’s in the settings. Either way, it is a case not of CP 6 doesn’t report cameras that are around a corner, but of considering why, and under what circumstances, it does so.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for 'on route' I think it is fair to say that so far as POIs (of which saftey cameras are simply a group) are concerned, CoPilot is pretty dumb - they are simply held as co-ordinates.

So far as I know (based on my experiences) CoPilot does not seem to hold any data to tell it which road the camera applies to - it simply makes its decision based on those co-ordinates. For example, I regularly 'pass over' a 30mph camera which is for the road below, yet I am warned about it when driving on the motorway above. Hopefully, it also thinks that it applies to the road below when you are travelling on that.

I attach the exact wording of the reply I received from ALK :

...the NEAR ROUTE option will alert you to POI's that are within 0.5 miles of your present location (off the current road you are driving on). e.g. if you are travelling North, then you will receive a notification of any petrol stations that are within 0.5 miles East or West of your location within the distance you have specified for the alert (north).

With ON ROUTE, the POI has to be physically on the road you are driving and not positioned off on a side road like some supermarket garages are. Ultimately it depends on how the data has been recorded by NAVTEQ and where the actual physical address lies for the garage or POI.

I hope this explains a little better how our POI Notification system works...

However, my own experience would sugest that with 'on route' this is not quite the case - there may be a small margin; and with the inherrent inacuracy of GPS I would have thought that it would be rather difficult to be that accurrate - certainly with the Pocket GPS database which in theory would not be reported even if only a few feet out. The cameras would have to be recorded with an accurracy much higher than the equipment used to record them (ie us with our pocket GPS) is capable of.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I wrote that I had experienced CP 6 warning of cameras occurring around a corner, I should have explained that I had CP 6 set to report them "On" the route and at 0.2 miles.

Perhaps Neil01 has put his finger on it. Inaccurately recorded POI co-ordinates sound quite likely.
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

When I rang UK support about various questions I chased this one.

I had a difficult time getting the support desk guy to understand the question but when he did grasp the concept of having the POIs announced even if one was not driving a "trip" he seemed genuinely surprised that they did not already do so!

He said he would escalate the question to get an answer as to whether it will be possible.

I wonder if such a change is part of the upcoming patch, which by the way he mentioned was due for release later next week. Apparently it had to be amended.......hence the delay?

Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: