Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 = awful?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 = awful?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: TT5 = awful? Reply with quote

I got a Medion PPC about 6 weeks ago and loaded it up with TT5 in the belief it was the best software option. I have now used it twice and can't emphasise how dreadful I find it - it's has had me literally driving in circles on both occasions and has given me such pearls of wisdom as;

- keep to right (on 2 lane road) then turn left
Erm, that's a foot path Rolling Eyes

- Turn left ahead
Ehm, I can't, there's no right turn there, it's "ahead only"
*hits recalculate*

- Turn right ahead
Grrr, it's ahead only!

- Take 3rd exit at roundabout
I did so, it turns out it should have been the 4th right. Ensue more driving round in circles.

- Turn left ahead
THERE'S NOT EVEN A FREAKING ROAD THERE! Clap

I'm seriously considering getting rid of it and buying a map. Is there any updates that would help or is the technology just not all it's cracked up to be? I would have thought by 5th generation the software would be functional but after it making me 45 minutes late today I'm really at my wit's end with it!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest if in 6 weeks you've only tried it twice then you probably don't need it!

I have driven 120,000 miles with tomtom over the past 4 years - including through france into spain once or twice a year (over 2500 miles each time with no paper map) - don't think I've ever had a collection of errors so close together - are you using the screen as well - or just relying on the voice - you need to use both together.

It does have map errors but overall it works and works well for most people - version 6 and new maps are imminent as well.
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works great for me too. Used it in Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Untied States and Puerto Rico. I still rely heavily on paper maps and what I see out the window. The three inputs seem to get me there everytime.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi goof
Wow! You have had an immense portion of Bad Luck. I use my TT5 regularly both here and on the continent and have had less problems in many months than you have had in a few minutes.
I don’t know really what to suggest.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. You had a bad day!!
It is not perfect. There is one main motorway junction near me where TT5 says keep right, when the maps shows that you need to take the left exit. In this case the map is correct. I agree with the previous post, you need to use a combination of voice directions and looking at the map.
I very rarely use the voice directions, but use the silent voice so I just get speed camera alerts.
I drive approx 3000 miles per month and bet I would not have all the problems you had in a few minutes, in a whole month of driving.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep to right (on 2 lane road) then turn left
Erm, that's a foot path

Usually get this instruction if there is a left fork, so keep right, past the fork and take the next left.

- Turn left ahead
Ehm, I can't, there's no right turn there, it's "ahead only"
*hits recalculate*

Turn left ahead means you are getting an advanced warning, usually on faster roads. Don't worry about a right turn if you have been told left turn ahead.

- Turn right ahead
Grrr, it's ahead only!

Mapping will not be 100% accurate and maybe the no right turn has been put in after the maps were prepared. Just keep driving and it will re-calculate your route automatically.

- Take 3rd exit at roundabout
I did so, it turns out it should have been the 4th right. Ensue more driving round in circles.

I've found similar things happen if you lose a satellite or two and it 'gets lost' for a short time. It can happen if for example a new Superstore has opened and the road has been redesigned.

- Turn left ahead
THERE'S NOT EVEN A FREAKING ROAD THERE!

Again, it's an advanced warning. If you are travelling along a 50mph road it's telling you a left turn is coming up.

You should get something like.

Left turn ahead
In x' yards turn left.
Turn left.

You also have to be aware that there will be some new roundabouts since the mapping and some have been removed.

If you are told 'Take the third exit' and there is no roundabout, a quick check with the screen will probably show you have to turn right.

Same if you are told to 'turn right' but there is now a roundabout, go round it and take the appropriate exit.

I don't know if you are aware of the 'unusaul' roundabout near Pitsea in Essex, but my trust TTN5 'does the right thing' no problem.

Finally, and this is for everybody. Be aware that at some time in the near future there is to be extensive road works around the Chatahm, Kent area. The one-way system around the town is being put back to two-way. Poor 'Jane' will have a fit when I ignore her instructions.

You'll soon get used to the occasional 'odd' behaviour. Sit back and enjoy.
goof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I use the on-screen in conjunction with the audio directions as much as is possible. The reason I've only used it a couple of times is due to the fact it was so dreadful the first time.

Lost_property, regarding all your replies, I know that "turn left ahead" etc is an advanced warning - these problems were present at the turning points. There was also no forks in the road etc - it was just plain giving me the wrong directions to inaccssible/non-existant roads! Regarding the roundabout exit, this was not a new roundabout, it's been there for at least 60 years. Also, quite often in recalculating it will want to take me round in a large circle to get back to the same point that will add 10 minutes onto my journey (and that may not even be accessible in the first place!).

So, as I've said, this isn't the odd quirk, the software just isn't even basically functional (in my experience) and I'm disappointed as some areas obviously have no problems. I'm wondering if the Medion Nav might be any better.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of the problems you've described seem to be errors with the maps, rather than the software itself. Since most software packages are based around map data from just 2 suppliers, both of whom in the UK get their data from the same source, you'll likely encounter similar issues with other sat nav packages.

Unfortunately sat nav is not yet a 'mature' product, despite what they tell you, and while it is an outstanding tool you have to be aware of its shortcomings.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I've had the incorrect exit on several roundabouts.

For example, there are 2 roundabouts half a mile apart - just normal 4-way roundabouts.

At each one, I go straight on; ie the 2nd exit.

At the first roundabout it says take the 3rd exit, and at the second roundabout it says take the 1st exit. Both instructions are wrong, and yet the map shows that they are both bog-standard 4-way roundabouts.

So why the instruction is wrong is anyones guess.

Any ideas ?

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I've ever encountered that problem. Aside from when there are additional property accesses off the roundabout which may not be depicted on the sign.

If you can give a specific location I (we) can try it out and see if it can be reproduced.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used some of the competition, I've been with TomTom since v2, and I think TT5 is the best GPS option for the PPC out there. Had a quick go of a friends Navigon 5 and although routing and directions seemed clear, it was extremely slow on his hx4700, and found it a chore to just put an address in and go. Had a look at a customers Destinator PN and it just seemed cluttered and poorly thought out to me. TT5 takes me a matter of seconds to enter an address/postcode and go.

I do about 40,000 miles a year, and especially with the new map update which you can buy on their site, it very rarely tries to take me the wrong way, but on the rare times when it does, it isn't a proplem to just ignore it and read the road it doesnt take long for it to reroute and get you back on track.

Its saved me a lot of hassle, and made my journeys safer, instead of having to drive with a map on my lap and taking my eyes off the road.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At the first roundabout it says take the 3rd exit, and at the second roundabout it says take the 1st exit.

What happens if you take the third exit and follow instructions?

Quote:
If you can give a specific location I (we) can try it out and see if it can be reproduced

That's a good idea. If ours route correctly maybe there was a 'glitch' when your maps were installed.

I have noticed on a few occasions where 'Jane' appears to have given me a wrong instruction but a quick check on the screen shows I've lmomentarily lost some satellites. When I get them back I've moved on but sometimes noticed the blue arrow floundering anywhere but where I actually am. I then get an instruction from where 'it's' at, rather than where I'm at.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, try this.

In 'Advance Planning'

Select Depart from Address

City = Liverpool

Road = Riverside Drive

Number = 14

Destination (Select Address)

City = Liverpool

Road = Sefton Street L8

Number = 75

Run this as a demo and see what happens at the 2 roundabouts.

Regards

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 200 yards, cross the roundabout 3rd exit.

Cross the roundabout, 3rd exit.

After 300 yards cross the roundabout, you have then reached your destination.

After 200 yards you have reached your destination.

You have reached your destination.

The first roundabout is clearly the 2nd exit. Could the mappers have got confused because it could appear there are two roads on the left.

I'd say the second roundabout is correct, first exit. If you look closely the map shows as not open to traffic.

I entered from your departure to 'point on map' and chose Brunswick Way end of Tower Street. This time, at the second roundabout 'You have reached your destination'.

Using the same points I set as Bicycle route, low and behold at the second roundabout it told me to take the first exit and then turn left.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same on the latest v632 map too

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: