Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - [i3] Change in custom points / POI behaviour?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

[i3] Change in custom points / POI behaviour?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: [i3] Change in custom points / POI behaviour? Reply with quote

I've created a separate thread from the beta firmware one, because I'm not entirely sure whether it's definitely a result of the new beta firmware (although I suspect it is...).

I've just used the Garmin GPX convertor, and upgraded my version of poi-loader to the current one, so I can't be absolutely scientfic about it.

Having said all that, I've not noticed any other comments, so I suspect it may be beta related - now when I select where to, and custom points, I don't get a list of categories named after the CSV / GPX files loaded - I just get a list of custom points and their names, that are relevant to the current / set location.

If it does prove to be a beta firmware related thing, if somebody else can confirm, then at least Garmin can be informed about it.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellaMaris wrote:
Mine did the same so before doing anyting about it I was going to reload the POI's. It seems to have taken away the categories only. All the POI's are there but not under their respective names. Reloading them may sort it out, will try tonight. Everything else seems OK so far. Backed up favourites first anyway as I had to reload 2.7 before and took a bit of puitting back together.

I reloaded POIs a couple of times - using just traditional CSVs, and also using the GPX stuff (making use of the convertor and custom proximity warnings).

So I'm guessing this is something introduced with the beta - if so, was it by design or is it a bug?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not tried the beta yet (transflash card in the post at the moment!) but if this is going to stay then i think it's bad... definately needs mentioning to garmin that not having categories based on the poi file name is a backwards move...

MaFt
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
not tried the beta yet (transflash card in the post at the moment!) but if this is going to stay then i think it's bad... definately needs mentioning to garmin that not having categories based on the poi file name is a backwards move...

MaFt

I guess it just needs some more users to confirm it's definitely a result of the beta F/W.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just uploaded the Beta 2.82 firmware and have found the same thing.
That is the Custom Points in the poi's are now just one category. It means when you look for a custom POI you mostly get safety cameras and fish and chip shops. This is a real problem for me because I have a seperate categorey for sites I visit with work and I can no longer access them easily. I will email Garmin to tell them to try again.

I am going to take it for a little drive to see what the voice differences are that it talks about and then change it back to 2.7

Nick.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:
I have just uploaded the Beta 2.82 firmware and have found the same thing.
That is the Custom Points in the poi's are now just one category. It means when you look for a custom POI you mostly get safety cameras and fish and chip shops. This is a real problem for me because I have a seperate categorey for sites I visit with work and I can no longer access them easily. I will email Garmin to tell them to try again.

I am going to take it for a little drive to see what the voice differences are that it talks about and then change it back to 2.7

Nick.

I may be stating the obvious, here - but just as a warning, if you go back to 2.7 after upgrading to the beta, the i3 will apparently lose your favourites and recent finds (not sure about custom POIs).

You can back them up, first, with easygps - but when you restore them back, it forces the names / labels to uppercase, and in some cases, truncates them. Plus if you're doing this, delete the in-built ones (in easygps before you save to a file), else you get duplicates on your i3 when you restore.
daroca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had this problem with 2.82, so reverted back to 2.70, I noticed it reset the i3 after the downgrade of f/w, and as expected lost all the custom config.

I then reloaded my custom POI's.

I have reported this issue back to garmin and included some screen shots.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's reported in another thread that Garmin have stated this behaviour is unintentional.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester, I was aware. I have all my work sites etc. stored as custom POI's so it is very easy for me to reinstall them.

I too have had a reply from Garmin stating that this is not intenetional so I assume we won't see it in the "proper" firmware upgrade.

I have been from Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton in the car this evening (to see the worst football match ever BTW) and have tested the alterations to the voice commands. It seems a lot more predictable approaching roundabouts and seems to tell you further out which exit off the roundabout you want.

I also noticed it does not have its usual dicky fit of "turn left, turn right, turn left then turn right" which I normally get when I pull away from my house.

I will run around tomorrow now with the beta software on and see what else I spot.

Nick.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick

I've noticed the improvement in the voice prompts, too - quite a difference.
dicko-1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: pois Reply with quote

just brought a 3i and installed some poi's and cannot find some of them has any one any sujestions
2carkev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

I guess it just needs some more users to confirm it's definitely a result of the beta F/W.

Mine has done exactly the same, still if the voice prompt is so much better (will know tomorrow) I will persevere with it

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: