Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which speedometer is most accurate?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which speedometer is most accurate?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonetheteach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Which speedometer is most accurate? Reply with quote

Greetings-
I have recently bought a TomTom One and when my wife and I went out for a drive today I noticed that at the bottom of the TomTom screen it showed the speed at which we were travelling. However, when comparing this with the speedometer of our Ford Focus it was noticeable that the car registered a speed of three or 4 mph greater than that shown on the TomTom screen.

Which, if either, is likely to be the most accurate? I hope someone can help with this as it will put a stop to a little bit of disagreement!

Best wishes --tonetheteach.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS unit will always display the most accurate speed.

There are several threads on the subject, on the Website. If you care to read them, use the Search icon at the top of the page. Try 'speedo' as input. ;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tonetheteach,

My employment involves driving vehicles fitted with calibrated speedometers and other speed detection equipment. I have used my TTOne at work and can verify that the speed shown on the TT is extremely accurate, providing you have a good satellite fix. Incidentally I can also confirm that a Focus speedo is approximately 3-4 mph over-optimistic. A Mondeo is about 2 mph over. Most cars do read higher than actual speed to give motorists a fighting chance at keeping legal (ish).

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
tonetheteach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Which speedometer is most accurate Reply with quote

Thanks for such a prompt reply- I thought GPS would be more accurate than car speedo. One up for the bloke who bought TomTom One in the first place-best wishes- tonetheteach.
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you start at one end of a street it shows that end and then walk to te other end of a street it shows the other end so its logical to assume that the sat nav has the exact distance in between both points so can work out with far grater accuracy something that is just timing the revolutions of the wheels or gear rotations whatever they come off nowadays.
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

having had my tomtom for nearly 18 months now it has been in many cars/vans

i have found that fords seem to have the least accurate speedo (at least 10 percent out IE speedo says 70 tomtom says 63) and chrysler/dodge seem to be fairly accurate (about 2 miles per hour out)

i read somewhere that tomtom is accurate to 0.1 mph

linrew
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linrew wrote:
i read somewhere that tomtom is accurate to 0.1 mph

It's not so much TomTom but the GPS receiver you are using. Check the specs and you will find that most of them quote .1 MPH accuracy..
BillyHey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a more accurate reading from the Focus, hold down the 'trip' mileage reset button as you turn on the ignition. You get into a nice diagnostic mode and pressing the trip reset button will cycle you through some options, one of which is the actual reading from the gearbox speed sensor. The 'needle' speedo is usually 4-5mph out from this in a focus, provided you haven't Kev'd your car up and changed the overall wheel size

It comes out of diagnostic mode when you turn off the ignition, so don't worry about breaking anything.

All car speedos are set to overread, and never to underread for legal reasons.
tonetheteach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Which speedometer is most accurate? Reply with quote

Thanks for that BillyHey- You learn something new every day-
Best Wishes - tonetheteach.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mondeo is approx 10% overreading al through speed range compared to TT.

So at 40mph on TT its 44 on speedo and at 70 its 77ish on the speedo.

I've been passing speed traps using the TT speed and not had any nasty letters yet.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplugged wrote:
Well if you start at one end of a street it shows that end and then walk to te other end of a street it shows the other end so its logical to assume that the sat nav has the exact distance in between both points so can work out with far grater accuracy something that is just timing the revolutions of the wheels or gear rotations whatever they come off nowadays.

FWIW GPS systems dont calculate speed that way, in effect they do it directly by working out at what speed they must be moving in order to read the satellite signals correctly.

Tw
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can show your diagnostic speed on a vauxhall by holding the buttons in whilst moving for the clock area, you will have to play about with them (which ones to press) as i cant remember off hand but it will tell you in kph your speed.
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a Citroen C4 and the TomTom speed is usually dead on or at most 1mph behind the cars speedo.

The C4 has an all digital speedo.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satnav speed only works correctly if you are travelling in a straight line, and unless you have a specially calibrated GPS, (usually for aircraft use), if you are on a level road.

When you go round a corner, the satnav measures the straight line distance between two points over a set time, and calculates the speed based on that. So it tends to under-read.

Normal satnav only measures in 2 dimensions, so it underreads when you are on a hill, whichever way you are travelling. The steeper the hill, the bigger the error. (bit like looking at an ordnance survey map.) As an extreme, if you drove off a cliff and went straight down, the satnav would say you had zero speed, since you aren't moving over the ground.

What it isn't subject to are errors due to variation in wheel diameter (New tyres v worn tyres), or the mechanical errors in the car speedo system.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that it also only works accurately at a steady speed. If you are accelerating or decelerating, it gives the average speed over the recording period, so always lags behind the true speed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: