Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - KNA-G520 or GVN52
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

KNA-G520 or GVN52
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: KNA-G520 or GVN52 Reply with quote

Anybody heard anything on these, can speed cam poi's e put on via the sd slot ?

Andy
acot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody Sad
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am also interested in this model. Specs seem to indicate that it is a 12 channel receiver, so I assume it isn't a sirfstar III chipset. Shame. Other than that take a look at the link to see a powerpoint presentation showing the interface. It is pretty much standard Garmin UI from the nuvi and streetpilot range, and according to the link poi's can be loaded, just like the other models.

http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/kenwood_navigation.html
acot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got myn today :D , but cars off in for respray so won't be fitted for another week yet, looks easy enough to fit, plenty of cable on the loom and yes should just be able to use poi loader for cameras i hope, will keep you informed on how it goes, unless someone gets one in and going before me, carn't seem to find much support for it yet on Garmin site, hopefully soon though.

Cheers

Andy
acot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uses Navtec too
DanH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So any reports yet. Is it any good?

Can it load firmware updates that the other Garmins offer?

How does it compare to a tomtom?

How easy is it to setup waypoint to control the route?

Oh and if you've got ipod integration too, how good is that?

Sorry for all the questions, but strongly considering one, and I can never get good info on car audio stuff. Once you've bought it, its too late Sad
acot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry no reports yet, my cars in for respray, so you'll have to hang on unless anyone else gets one in and going first, here's some info for ya to be going on with

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=8&k3=56&pr=2280

Andy
oddjob77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: KNA-G520 or GVN52 Reply with quote

Hi, Iv`e just got one so i`m still playing with the thing but so far:

1- Speed camera database loads OK and works on the road. I actually used a mini SD card from a mobile phone ( plus adapter) to load the files with no problem.

2- iPod adapter (through main Head Unit, not nav unit) seems to work well too with info shown on screen - a lot better than carrying cd`s around plus no cd changer needed anymore.

3- Waypoints - yes you can put these on, just go through the menu as and when required.

4- No idea how it compares to a Tom Tom but from a user point of view it does all I want plus calculates routes a lot quicker than my old OEM system.

5- Firmware updates can be loaded although I have had no need to do this yet.

6- I`ve scanned the user manual onto my computer (18MB) - is it permissable to post these on this site?
oddjob77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: KNA-G520 or GVN52 Reply with quote

Further to the above, I`ve just updated the software on the unit. Just downloaded the update from the Garmin website, put it on a SD card on my PC and transferred the card to the unit in the car. Apart from pushing the `yes` button when it appeared, its all automatic.
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which head unit did you connect it to?

Also, does this Garmin unit suffer from the position lag problem? ie If you travel at speed and there is a junction approaching, my nuvi shows me in line with the turning, when I have already past it 1 or 2 seconds before.

Cheers.
oddjob77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: KNA-G520 or GVN52 Reply with quote

Hi Tosty, the Head Unit is a Kenwood DDX8027.

I haven`t noticed any position lag so far but most of my recent driving has been in built up areas. I`ll pay close attention next time I`m on the motorway and if I notice anything amiss I`ll post details here.
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks oddjob77, nice unit. I was looking at the DDX6027 but am told a newer unit DDX 6029 is due soon which would also handle the forthcoming bluetooth handsfree kit. Can't really justify the 8027 price!
acot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got myn up and running now, updated firm, loaded cams, seems to work well, got myn on an 8027 too, real nice unit. Had a tom before got it in van now and my ken/gar in car, although tom seemed a tad easier to use i think it's an exellent idea from kenwood/garmin, no problems with lag yet but i think i've got my details up too high as it seems a tad choppy at times, lovely big screen aswell. The best thing is that you can have your music booming out and it will lower the fronts and tell you what and where.

Andy
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just sold my nuvi, and I see that the DDX6029 is becoming available, so this will be happening sooner or later! Do you guys know if it can intergrate with Mapsource - as in, can I pre plan a route and upload it? I assume you can save routes for use later? Also does it support multiple vias?

It does seem like an excellent idea/unit. Much prefer the built in "look" rather than cable(s) all over the dash.

Thanks for your time!
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to my post above, I have given Kenwood UK a ring. They weren't able to answer all my questions - particularly regarding saving routes and mapsource use, but did confirm that you can use multiple vias.

I had a look at the Garmin website and downloaded the Streetpilot 2720 manual. I assume the KNA-G520 is based on some variant of the Streetpilot range and this seems to be the closest match. If anybody has the time if you download the manual from:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/StreetPilot2720GPS_OwnersManual.pdf

can you look at page 20 and advise if you have any of the "save route" options. Page 24, adding avoidances, also looks useful.

Thanks very much.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: