Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the New range of GO devices one week before
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the New range of GO devices one week before
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Text to Speech (TTS) is AIUI reserved for the 910. More details will be posted tomorrow but unless there is a great disparity in price I would have to reccomend the 510.

The embago on reporting is still in place so until tomorrow I cannot say much more, sorry.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Jammy1 wrote:
Might be me being thick...but will the new TMC addon just provide the same updates as the current Plus service but via the FM radio signal? Or does the source of traffic info come form a differnt data source than Plus?

Same data, different delivery method and one would assume no subscription required.

Actually, I think the TMC data will come from the public FM signal, not from TomTom.
As mentioned here earlier, TMC tends to be slower on updating its info. Traffic jams need to be confirmed multiple times before it is transfered into the TMC signal. If the data is bad, down or out of date, there is no one to blame.
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out http://www.clubtomtom.com/2006/03 where there are a few details about the 510 and 910.

Clearly this is for the US market but 20GB HD for the 910??? Phew, it puts their current range to shame - and IMHO I feel that it appears to throw a two-fingered salute to existing Go users....

With technology generally, I appreciate that advances mean that the latest stuff is already out-of-date but you generally get incremental advances. For example, Pentium I, II, III or 4. Wireless networking 11mbps, 54mbps but backward compatible.

When I bought my 700, I debated long and hard between going for a specific device v PDA with software and receiver etc. But, I went with the Go as it does the job specifically. Plus, it had advanced incrementally on the original Go Classic.

Now though, we've got uprated chip set, uprated hard drive, uprated functionality. Then, I see that they're offering an RDS-TMC module with the associated updates instead of the GPRS route.

For me, it'll also proove interesting to see how they charge for this. Don't be surprised if there is a subscription fee involved. From what I've read in other forums, the TMC data in the UK has to be paid for, whereas it's free-to-air in other countries.

Absolutely flabbergasted.

S Crying or Very sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:
Darren wrote:
Jammy1 wrote:
Might be me being thick...but will the new TMC addon just provide the same updates as the current Plus service but via the FM radio signal? Or does the source of traffic info come form a differnt data source than Plus?

Same data, different delivery method and one would assume no subscription required.

Actually, I think the TMC data will come from the public FM signal, not from TomTom.
As mentioned here earlier, TMC tends to be slower on updating its info. Traffic jams need to be confirmed multiple times before it is transfered into the TMC signal. If the data is bad, down or out of date, there is no one to blame.

We don't have a public TMC feed in the UK so if anyone's to blame its the TMC Data supplier! If it was public access it'd be different but as this data has to be payed for iTIS who supply it really ought to provide more accurate data!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spudson wrote:
Check out http://www.clubtomtom.com/2006/03 where there are a few details about the 510 and 910.

Clearly this is for the US market but 20GB HD for the 910??? Phew, it puts their current range to shame - and IMHO I feel that it appears to throw a two-fingered salute to existing Go users....

You're joking right? What do you expect them to do, hold off and let their competitors overtake them?
Quote:
For me, it'll also proove interesting to see how they charge for this. Don't be surprised if there is a subscription fee involved. From what I've read in other forums, the TMC data in the UK has to be paid for, whereas it's free-to-air in other countries.

Where TMC is delivered via FM the licence fee is paid for up front and recouped from the user in the purchase of the receiver hardware, there is unlikely to be an ongoing licence fee as once you have the receiver there is no way of stopping you receiving it.

I understand your disappointment but if TomTom can add these features then what do you expect. Everything gets better, its called progress!
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Where TMC is delivered via FM the licence fee is paid for up front and recouped from the user in the purchase of the receiver hardware, there is unlikely to be an ongoing licence fee as once you have the receiver there is no way of stopping you receiving it.

I understand your disappointment but if TomTom can add these features then what do you expect. Everything gets better, its called progress!

In Italy, it is handled by RAI, freely, in cooperation with a lot of other people (ACI, the Police, etc...)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiley1081 wrote:
In Italy, it is handled by RAI, freely, in cooperation with a lot of other people (ACI, the Police, etc...)

Indeed I understand we are one of the few EU countries that doesn't have a Public Service RDS system that is available free of charge Sad
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
smiley1081 wrote:

Indeed I understand we are one of the few EU countries that doesn't have a Public Service RDS system that is available free of charge Sad

The TMC forum says that also a commercial radio is offering the service, free of charge.

Given that I do not have an RDS-TMC capable apparatus (yet), I cannot tell you about their accuracy...

http://www.tmcforum.com/en/about_tmc/tmc_services_today/tmc_services_today.htm
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, at the Ministero delle Infrastrutture e Trasporti offers for download the TMC database concerning Italy:

http://www.infrastrutturetrasporti.it/page/standard/site.php?p=cm&o=vd&id=1979
Frankamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

It's now tomorrow, Thursday, and the embargo is history.

Where will I find your review, comments, features and capabilities of the new GO series TomTom's - especially the 510.

I want to see why you recommended the 510 (£110 more than One ) over the One.

Then it's order time.

By the way, your subscription service mentions that, one of many, benefits is:

Discounts on GPS equipment from EasyDevices.co.uk (one discount could easily cover your subscription charge)

How much is the discount and is it valid on the TomTom 510? What is the process?

I will join the subscription service (£19) without the discount but hey - saving money is good.

Sorry to post the last part in this forum but I couldn't find a direct e-mail address to ask the question.

Frank
Frankamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

I found the Guestbook and Feedback forum. I'll post the subscription inquiry there, sorry for the inconvenience - as you can tell, I'm a newby.

Looking forward to your 510 evaluation.

Frank
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The embargo is in force until 8am UK. I'm not evaluating the units yet, haven't held one for long enough but we will be providing detailed specs and more screenshots whith which you can compare against the existing models.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on the update for PDA, TomTom Mobile, and Old GO units?

Am I correct in thinking that yet again we are getting a reduced service of options for these products?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:
Any news on the update for PDA, TomTom Mobile, and Old GO units?

Am I correct in thinking that yet again we are getting a reduced service of options for these products?

Nothing I can speak about as yet, sorry. It is coming though.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure those prices are wrong in the new article. The 710 will definitely cost more than the 510 as it has more features. I think someone's just typed them into the table back to front. That table also seems backwards to me - it would be more obvious if the higher spec'd model was on the right.

Also, is it really correct that the 510 has no text-to-speech? Not even for reading out road names? It seems silly that they'd remove this functionality for the sake of it as it has no additional hardware requirements.

Nick...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 7 of 23

Jump to: