Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - garmin i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

garmin i3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
busterboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: garmin i3 Reply with quote

hello there....very nice forum..and i,ve just got myself a i3 today had to travel 35 miles to get one...all sold out near me 8O

the thing i wonna ask is.....can i get a MPH reading that shows my speed when driving all the time ??

nooby question sorry Embarassed
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mph only displays when the unit is turned on but not on a route!

Welcome to the i3 world... 8)
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed recently that when the i3 loses the signal (dartford tunnel for me) it shows the speed until the signal is picked up again, then it goes back to ETA. Nice little touch, though would be nicer if it could show it all the time. If you know the route, or the turning off (especially on a motorway) is shown as 20 miles away or something, I stop the navigation sometimes so that I can see the mph until I'm closer to the turnoff. It's a compromise but it's handy when going past the increasing number of average speed check areas at roadworks now.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Gonzales wrote:
I stop the navigation sometimes so that I can see the mph until I'm closer to the turnoff. It's a compromise but it's handy when going past the increasing number of average speed check areas at roadworks now.

May sound a silly question but why not use your speedo?
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

Ayla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Mr_Gonzales wrote:
I stop the navigation sometimes so that I can see the mph until I'm closer to the turnoff. It's a compromise but it's handy when going past the increasing number of average speed check areas at roadworks now.

May sound a silly question but why not use your speedo?

I'm so glad you asked the silly question, it saved me doing so! Rolling Eyes

As a newbie to satnavs, I was wondering why one would need to see the speed, and whether it was safe to stop the navigation while driving, and how to get it to start again without going through the whole Where To process. I thought it was a special satnav "thing". Embarassed
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speedo on the i3 will be inaccurate because it always calculates the speed relative to a flat surface and doesn't take into account the rise and fall of the road.

If you think about a 90 degree triangle where you are driving up the longest side the sat nav will be calculating you speed relative to the length of the horizontal side and not the side you are driving up. The horizontal side will be shorter than the surface you are driving up and hence the speed reading (distance x time) will be using the wrong distance and make the reading inaccurate. The sat nav has no way of measuring altitude to take into account the rise and fall of the roads.

I find it terribly distracting and wish i could turn it off now.....
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Gonzales wrote:
I noticed recently that when the i3 loses the signal (dartford tunnel for me) it shows the speed until the signal is picked up again

Mr G, surely this is an estimated speed as the speed is calculated from the sats, so surely no sat signal = no speed? or am i missing something?
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

busterboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did,nt think about that...but anyway well happy with my i3......i drive a lorry and the i3 is better then pulling over askin for directions or stopping to read maps..."which can take 5 mins to even find a space to pull over".....should of got 1 age's ago .......... :P
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busterboy wrote:
i did,nt think about that...but anyway well happy with my i3......i drive a lorry and the i3 is better then pulling over askin for directions or stopping to read maps..."which can take 5 mins to even find a space to pull over".....should of got 1 age's ago .......... :P

me 2 i will be driving lorries and coaches and if this thing does the job and @ only £150 this will be the hottest selling item since the i pod in my opinion
Spenk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that satnavs can compute your altitude (2 sats for present position ((Lat Long)), and 3 can be used to compute height), so perhaps it can take in to account whether you are travelling up or down hill when it calculates your speed? I would also imagine that most road gradients are so small that it will have little bearing on the accuracy of the MPH readout. Does the i3 spec not say that it is accurate to +/- 0.5 MPH?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe that satnavs can compute your altitude (2 sats for present position ((Lat Long)), and 3 can be used to compute height), so perhaps it can take in to account whether you are travelling up or down hill when it calculates your speed?

Nuts. Never thought of that!

Quote:
I would also imagine that most road gradients are so small that it will have little bearing on the accuracy of the MPH readout.

True.

Quote:
Does the i3 spec not say that it is accurate to +/- 0.5 MPH?

Not sure but i also don't know how (in)accurate my car's speedo is either. So the GPS speed could be "true" and the analogue dial on my dashboard way off.....
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The speedo on the i3 will be inaccurate because it always calculates the speed relative to a flat surface and doesn't take into account the rise and fall of the road.

...The sat nav has no way of measuring altitude to take into account the rise and fall of the roads.

i'm not convinced... the nuvi can give you altitude calculations (in the satellite view mode it gives speed, direction and altitude) and a nuvi and i3 next to each other show the same calculated speed...

MaFt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i'm not convinced... the nuvi can give you altitude calculations (in the satellite view mode it gives speed, direction and altitude) and a nuvi and i3 next to each other show the same calculated speed...

Garmin quote a speed accuracy of "0.05 meter/sec steady state" which is about 0.1 MPH.

I think the GPS records speed over ground and although it knows it, the vertical speed is ignored.

The real test is to jump out of a plane with one and see what speed it records. Anyone? Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

The real test is to jump out of a plane with one and see what speed it records. Anyone? Wink

just sent the nuvi back today so could try it with the i3. i'll let you know by the weekend ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: