Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom 300 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom 300 problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pianoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: tom tom 300 problem Reply with quote

Sad hi i am new to this forum and have a tom tom 300 which worked great until i connected it to my computer[ i wanted to try some new voices from a disc that was lent to me ,i used a usb cable that i believe was the same as i could not find the original ,and since then all i have had up is the original tom tom splash screen then it goes into a secondary screen which comes up with the sd card and an red coss though it and then goes dead,have i ruined the sd card by putting wrong usb into it ,i have tried to reset ,i have been also told the usb should work if it fits ,!help as i am lost without it !!!!!
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: tom tom 300 problem Reply with quote

pianoman wrote:
Sad hi i am new to this forum and have a tom tom 300 which worked great until i connected it to my computer[ i wanted to try some new voices from a disc that was lent to me ,i used a usb cable that i believe was the same as i could not find the original ,and since then all i have had up is the original tom tom splash screen then it goes into a secondary screen which comes up with the sd card and an red coss though it and then goes dead,have i ruined the sd card by putting wrong usb into it ,i have tried to reset ,i have been also told the usb should work if it fits ,!help as i am lost without it !!!!!

The USB cable shouldn't have caused you a problem (pulling it out before files copied might)

Do you have a backup of the SD card? If not do so now - to backup - plug TomTom back into PC and copy all of the card across to a new folder on PC (should be over 100M bytes) then burn this to a CD.

Try taking the SD card out and putting it back in carefully - it will be slower than normal to start and you should ge the drums

Did you copy the voices across? if so I suspect you might have put to much stuff on card and there isn't enough room left, there needs a couple of megs free and there isn't that much space free to start with.
pianoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnk you for your reply i think i may have overloaded the card, i will try when i return from work once again thanks for your help i will post result
cheers ricky
pianoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi j
im afraid i have tried what yous aid but the same prob is happening ;any other suggestions i could try
thanx
ricky
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, did you do a Backup when you had the 300 new?

Second, with the PC connected to the 300 can you see the Files on the SD Card?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
pianoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi richard thank you for reply ,when i connect to pc,i go to my computer click on the tomtom icon and open it ,and my back up are indicated as being in it ,when i disconnect from pc ,and turn on tt ,i get the original screen and the the tom tom then indicates via a red cross through the sd card and thats as far as it goes ?
i have a backup disc which i have loaded several times
but it still does not go any further although like i said ,the backup is indicated as being on the tt
any more ideas ?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backup should be on your PC not the TT. There won't be room on the card and it's the wrong place for the backup.

If the backup is on the PC or another card, how big is it? It should be around 115MB. If it's a lot smaller, you probably haven't done a full backup, just a backup of your personal settings.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
pianoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ,i have just looked into the properties on my backup files and it seems that it 174 mb in size would this be too big for my card as it is from a disc that was copied for me from a friend as i could not find my own ,
ricky
pianoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have now emptied all data from my tt and reinstalled backup which is about 111mb but to no avail i still get the splash screen of the sd card coming out of the device and a red cross appearing in fron of it ,do you nthink my card is ruined/
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to reinstall the application? You can download it from the TT website.
The red cross normally means that the application could not be started (not found, not compatible, or corrupt)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, now its starting to get clearer...
I'm afraid there is NO "backup" on the CD when you buy a Go300. That's why forums like this are full of exhortations to make sure you do a full backup (from your SD card to your PC) first, before you do anything else. TomTom also do say this in the manual now, althought not as forcefully as they should.

When we say "backup" in this way, we mean to make a copy of everything on the card onto somewhere else.

What looks like has happened, is that when you tried to copy voices onto your card, you either deleted, corrupted, or hopefully just moved something from the card that you shouldn't have. If you had a full backup, you'd be able to find what was missing and replace it easily.

Now, however, we have got to try to work out exactly what you are missing or messed up that is stopping the unit booting up...
If it is the operating system, one of the voices or another system file, you are in luck as those can usually be downloaded from TomTom's website.
If, however, it is something from your map or map folder, there is nothing much we can do to get you going again (as the maps are coded to work with your unit alone), and you will have to send your SD card to TomTom to sort out. Obviously, if it isn't still under warrenty, it will cost you (a figure of 50 or 70 Euro rings a bell).

What I suggest, is you connect up your Go to your PC again, open a Windows Explorer window showing the contents of the SD card.
If it is like mine you should have around 9 folders (called Great_Britain-Map, itn, Licences, etc; and around 13 files that aren't in any folders.
Very carefully write down the names of everything, and right click on each folder and write down what size it says each one is. Then post your findings, and hopefully that will give us an idea of what's gone wrong (although we may have to delve deeper into the contents of the folders next).
pianoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys
i will try later to do the things you have suggested later work commitmants today unfortunately,[at least i know where i am going today !!!]
pianoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi just had time toput down the sizes of the files on my backup from cd
gb map/ size 101, size on disc 101 mb
itn script 420 kb
tom tom config /size 23 bytes/ size on disc 4.00 kb
connect to internet /size 91 kb/on disc 92kb
connect to internet.so size 230kb/on disc 232 kb
current maps props. /size 35 bytes/size on disc 4.00/kb
splash /225 kb/on disc228 kb
tom tom icon 3.55/kb /on disc 4.00 kb
ttgo.bif size, 300 bytes/ on disc 4.00 kb
liscense size273 kb/on disc 340kb
besty ricky
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several files are missing. You should have

system
ttsystem
data.chk

at least.

Download the system 5.42 again from TomTom http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1. Install and you will get back the missing files.

You seem to have the map folder and it's the right size. Make a safe copy of that before you do anything else. It's the only bit you can't get for free in future if you need it.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
pianoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the great info i have almost got it but as i go to reload the uk map it nearly loads ,but right at the end it says the destination is full can i delete something it used to have the gb maps nand poi [speed cams ] so i know there should be enough space on sd [i believe its 128 mb]
i think we are almost there though ;
best wishes to all who have tried to help me

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: