Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom & car security issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom & car security issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's better to do nothing then? Actually you are wrong about the mobile phone thefts - since the companies were forced to render a stolen phone useless once it is reported lost/stolen the number of thefts has fallen dramatically. Unfortunately the database only applies to the UK so a lot of stolen phones are shifted abroad at present, but this will change soon and when it does the thefts are expected to plummet.

You have a password for your wireless network (if you have any sense)
You have a password for any kind of online account (banking or whatever)
You can password protect your desktop/laptop pc
You password (PIN) all your bank cards

... and many other things - all in the interests of thwarting the criminals.

Your philosophy however seems to be that we mustn't complain and that passwords are a waste of time. I for one would rather risk a bit of hassle if I lost my password than just give in and make it easy for the criminals. Anyway TT could make it optional.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this thread interesting: 'GPS Database Helps Reduce Crime'

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=30276
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
So it's better to do nothing then? Actually you are wrong about the mobile phone thefts - since the companies were forced to render a stolen phone useless once it is reported lost/stolen the number of thefts has fallen dramatically. Unfortunately the database only applies to the UK so a lot of stolen phones are shifted abroad at present, but this will change soon and when it does the thefts are expected to plummet.

You have a password for your wireless network (if you have any sense)
You have a password for any kind of online account (banking or whatever)
You can password protect your desktop/laptop pc
You password (PIN) all your bank cards

... and many other things - all in the interests of thwarting the criminals.

Your philosophy however seems to be that we mustn't complain and that passwords are a waste of time. I for one would rather risk a bit of hassle if I lost my password than just give in and make it easy for the criminals. Anyway TT could make it optional.

You have assumed an awful lot about what I believe by 'reading between the lines'. None of it was correct.

Your point was that passwords on TT's would decrease thefts, my point was it it wouldnt, and mobile phones showed this to be the case, v similar items, expensive, transportable, ability to put passwords on, made no difference.
You then complained about TT's support, I pointed out what your proposal would do to the load on their support line.

As it happens, there are no figures centrally complied and available for mobile phone theft, but a judge last month referred to an 'epidemic' of mobile phone thefts, they are the ones seeing a rise *now* so I'll go with what they say rather than what you guess.

So, to summarise, your proposal *provably* wouldn't work to decrease TT thefts, and it would give you a harder time when calling TT support. These were the two things you complained about in your post!!

I note you now added a new requirement, about giving crims a bit of hassle and that you woulnt mind that as a trade off for worse support. Maybe *you* wouldnt, but what about the rest of us?

Any other suppositions on your part about what I believe are irrelevant and just as likely to be wrong as your previous compliation.

Tw
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's a pompous response!

I can't be bothered to trade statistics with you. Anyone I have discussed this with has expressed the wish for some sort of security - you don't see the need - OK fine. So get off your high-horse!

Have a nice one.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic....

From the latest press release about the new models:
Quote:
As an added level of protection, the new GO's will only work if you enter a PIN code.

Read more
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Back on topic....

From the latest press release about the new models:
Quote:
As an added level of protection, the new GO's will only work if you enter a PIN code.

Read more

The press release has disappeared from TT website ... Rolling Eyes
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked by clicking Andy's link and it was there.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I just looked by clicking Andy's link and it was there.

So it is - but that isn't TT press release, whch was on their website until yesterday and has now disappeared!

Anyway if it is true about the PIN it is welcome news to me at least. I know some low-life will start working on how to get around the PIN system as soon as they are releasd, but it is a step in the right direction, and not every car thief will have access to the technology to get around it. OK so I still lose my unit (it'll probably end up in the canal if toe-rag can't make it work) - but I least there is a chance that the thief didn't benefit from his crime - which would make me feel better.

Wink I wish I had the expertise to make some changes to the unit - like doctoring the voice guidance so if it was stolen it would say something like "Turn right you thieving Ba.....d ! or perhaps "I am programmed to expode in 10 seconds" (where does one buy gelignite?) Wink
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
Now there's a pompous response!

I can't be bothered to trade statistics with you. Anyone I have discussed this with has expressed the wish for some sort of security - you don't see the need - OK fine. So get off your high-horse!

Have a nice one.

Again you assume .... "you don't see the need (for security)".

Not at all, I just dont believe that PINS on GPS units are useful security, in any way shape or form, as has been *proven* with mobile phones (the anti-theft national database having nothing to do with PINS).

The most useful security by far is very simple, take the thing out of the car. No point having a PIN on it if your car window is smashed and the thing is stolen!

Having a PIN on a GPS unit isn't 'security' under any useful definition of the term and its a PITA for many reasons.

Tw
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree Tumbleweed,

There's no better security than 'removal from vehicle'

Even with pin codes,clamps, the thief will still flog it, and then some techno will hack it.

If Bill Gates can't do it with his software, i don't expect TomTom will either.

Removal is the best form of security
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my mobile phone and my iPod are portable, yet neither of them came with a case.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've had a good idea. Why not put a custom splash screen on your GO that says "This unit has been stolen. Please contact [your phone no] or [your e-mail addx]"

Seems unlikely that tea-leaves would want to arse around with USB cables and bitmaps.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
Both my mobile phone and my iPod are portable, yet neither of them came with a case.

Nor do you need a case with the TomTom ONE either. It's perfectly portable without one.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:

Quote:
Nor do you need a case with the TomTom ONE either. It's perfectly portable without one.

What a load of tosh. It does not have a handle to carry it safely. it could easely slip out of your hand on to the ground, you could scratch the screen putting into your pocket etc etc etc.
Obviously you are not bothered if you scratch or drop your TomTom One then. I paid good money for it & I certainly don't want mine damaged. I believe in looking after my things properly. I did have to buy a case but I say again, the One should have come with a proper case in the box..
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:
MarkHewitt wrote:

Quote:

What a load of tosh. It does not have a handle to carry it safely. it could easely slip out of your hand on to the ground, you could scratch the screen putting into your pocket etc etc etc.
Obviously you are not bothered if you scratch or drop your TomTom One then. I paid good money for it & I certainly don't want mine damaged. I believe in looking after my things properly. I did have to buy a case but I say again, the One should have come with a proper case in the box..

Your One is bottom of the range and very competitively priced considering what a great unit it is, so a case isn't included. The cases that come with the other Go's are pretty basic cloth affairs, worth about tuppence, and would probably not prevent the unit being damaged if dropped.

You'll break your mobile if you drop that, or your laptop, or any other delicate bit of kit you may own, and, apart from special deals, they don't come with a case - people just go and buy one if they feel the need. Surely what this type of equipment should be judged on is its' functionality...??

Anyway - you knew (or should have known because the information is there) what was 'in the box' before you bought it........
Out of here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: