Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Instruction Manuals
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Instruction Manuals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Instruction Manuals Reply with quote

I'm one of those sad individuals who actually READ instruction manuals, and try to make sense of what I read.

OK, I admit I'll use the 'Quick Start' guide, or just skim through the manual before I actually start using the device or software concerned, but I'll usually read the full manual, from cover to cover, within a week or so.

However, sometimes I'm completely stumped as to what is actually MEANT by some phrases, especially when the manual has been translated from another language (German, in this particular instance).

The manual for the Micromaxx MDPPC150 PDA/GPS I've just bought, states

'Avoid heavy vibrations and shaking, such as can arise, for example, in the case of transverse field intrusions'

(The bold words are as printed)

'Transverse field intrusions' ???

Assuming this is a literal translation of the original German, I downloaded the German manual and fed the appropriate phrase into Babelfish to get

'Avoid strong vibrations and vibrations, how they can occur e.g. with transverse field entries.'

I ASSUME they mean car accidents which we would call 'side impact'.

Any German speakers care to give a colloquial translation ?

In the same manual, there's an example of a recommendation which is virtually impossible to comply with.

'... maintain a distance of at least 10 ft. from sources of high-frequency and magnetic interference (televisions, loudspeaker systems, mobile telephones and so on). This will avoid malfunctions and loss of data.'

So, given that this item is supplied with accessories specifically to allow this to be used in a car, does this mean I can't use my mobile phone (hands-free, of course) in the car ? Or do I have to rip out the loudspeakers in the car ?

Or do I just have to buy a car where I can position the PDA 10 ft. away from the 'phone, loudspeakers, etc ?!?

Philip
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transverse field intrusions = jerking and dropping

10 ft = C.Y.A. Does your device have a FCC number on the back (or the UK equivalent)? Maybe they didn't pass the radio interference tests...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to include the original German

'Vermeiden Sie starke Vibrationen und Erschütterungen, wie sie z. B. bei Querfeldeinfahrten auftreten können.'

As regards FCC approval, since this is in the UK, the equivalent is CE approval, which the device has.

Philip

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: