Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Import GPS device from US into UK?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Import GPS device from US into UK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vladman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Import GPS device from US into UK? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to the world of GPS.

I've been planning to buy a GPS unit for a couple of years now, and I think the time has come, I can wait no longer!

I was wondering if someone could answer (just) a couple of (many) questions that I have on my mind.

First, has anyone imported a GPS unit from the US and what was the experience like? Obviously, the main reason to do this is to benefit from the lower prices that these sell for in the US. I am interested in the new Ique 3600. The difference in price between the UK and the US for this particular model is sickening, in my humble opinion; It is easily possible to buy a brand new Ique in the US for less than $500 (approx. £315), while the cheapest advertised in the UK is £585. This makes it cost-effective to buy a unit in the US, pay approximately $50-60 for the postage, then pay 3.7% customs duty, and 17.5% vat, bringing it to about $680 (approx. £430) and still end up saving about £150! But, this is all in theory, I haven't done this yet, and I wondered if anyone's done something similar and if it all worked out ok for them.

I am aware that if I went this route, I would receive an US version of the product, with the US City Select CD. This brings me to my next question.

Garmin site states:

"MapSource City Select Europe
(includes access to the whole CD-ROM)
Please note: This product is only available for purchase in the U.S. This product cannot be purchased in Europe.
Garmin Part Number: 010-10359-00
U.S. List Price: $349.99"

"This product cannot be purchased in Europe." This makes no sense to me whatsoever????

Also, the price????

So in the end, it seems that the CD issue blows my plan of importing the unit from the US completely out of the water, with it's cost and availability??

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any replies/opinions.

Vlad.
DaveO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the software as I imported hardware.

I had to pay customs/vat which was right and proper and which i had budgeted for, and the product was still cheaper..........or it would have been if it hadn't been for licenced banditry by Parcel Force.

When I queried the Parcel Force charge (25% of the quoted value!!!!!!!) I was told some cock and bull story about them having to be present when Customs opened the package, as if that justified any charge at all.

The sender had paid full postage costs in the US, for delivery to my door, and presumably Parcel Force were already collecting some of that cost from the US postal service, before then ripping me off.

Personally, I would still import from the US, but would first try and establish whether it is possible to arrange delivery through a nominated courier at this end, so that Parcel Force don't get involved.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get them to send via Fedex or UPS and it will be sent via these networks when it hits the UK.

The other way we get around receiving products for reviews is we make sure no invoice is included, or if it is, it shows zero value, and on the outer package it's marked DEMO - NO COMMERCIAL VALUE.

You still get the odd thing that slips through the net if someone has put a value on the docket.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that though Fedex and UPS will still charge customs duty plus their handling fee, so you do need to get the invoice to show zero value.
vladman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your replies. I will bear all you said in mind next time I'm ordering something from the US.

In the mean time, I ended up buying a second hand Garmin Emap unit. A friend was selling it, and it was (obviously) much cheaper than the Ique 3600, which I simply couldn't justify to myself.

Anyway, I have many questions about the Emap now, where's the best place to ask them? Here, or the Garmin forum?

Thanks very much,

Vlad.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin forum would be great. I haven't had any experience myself of the emap, but I'm sure others have.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: