Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3 - Avoiding Motorways
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3 - Avoiding Motorways

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Garmin i3 - Avoiding Motorways Reply with quote

Since upgrading to the latest v.8.0 map, my Garmin i3 appears to be trying to route my journeys via motorways as its preferred option. Both the M6 and M56 are close by on my journey to work, but because of local congestion I avoid using either - it's much easier and quicker to use the normal A roads.

So I thought well that's easily solved because all I need to do is go into settings and deselect 'Highways' in the Navigation/Avoidance section. WRONG - I assumed that 'Highways' means 'Motorways' only, but not so. It initially appeared to work OK as it avoided any route onto the M6 or M56, but it was aslo now avoiding a local town bypass which is a dual carraigeway that saves a fair bit of time, and was trying to send me through the centre of town with all the local traffic. I did actually ignore the instruction and took the bypass anyway which the Garmin eventually accepted and changed route, but you would need local knowledge to make this decision. So how can you setup the Garmin i3 to only avoid Motorways? Is it possible?

If it were possible to change the average speeds (as in Autoroute) for the various type of road that may add some flexibility, but I can't see how to do that on the i3 other than by vehicle type.

The specified list of roads is obviously based on American terminology. I mean, what the hell is a 'Car Pool Lane'? It would be a big improvement if the UK / European units specified road types as 'Motorways', 'Main/Trunk Roads', 'Minor Roads' etc. The road system within mainland Europe differs significantly compared to those of the US.

Does anyone with more experience of the Garmin have any useful info on avoiding certain road types?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'Car Pool Lane'

See - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4822808.stm

Known as a Car Sharing Lane over here. New to the UK, been around for ages in the US.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might give a thought to setting it to shortest route rather than fastest, or have you tried that
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems like the i3 regards both 'm' and 'a' roads as highways..like mentioned above try to set the route preference to shortest....
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Routing preference Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
it seems like the i3 regards both 'm' and 'a' roads as highways..like mentioned above try to set the route preference to shortest....
I suspect that it regards 'Highways' as motorways and dual carraigeways, although I haven't experimented enough to confirm this. If it excluded all single carraige A roads, you wouldn't get very far.

No, I haven't tried 'shortest route' because that's going to take me through all the town centres and along every little country lane, of which there are thousands here in Cheshire, and of no real use in rush hour.

Is the setup facility in the more expensive Garmin GPS range (2720 etc) any more sophisticated in selecting route preference?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Routing preference Reply with quote

galaxy111 wrote:

Is the setup facility in the more expensive Garmin GPS range (2720 etc) any more sophisticated in selecting route preference?

although the i3 is a good piece of kit for a budget price, .... the more expensive sat-navs have better processing power resulting in more accurate and quicker routing capabilites...
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take issue with 'more accurate' - possibly you meant 'more customisable / granular'?

I find the i3 works just fine in human-override mode - I follow it when I want to and ignore when conditions dictate (ie. rush-hour) that I take a different route, following local knowledge...

Aitch
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'' more accurate routing capabilities '' ...not in the ''accurate'' location sense..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: