Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newby - i3 took me down a bridleway
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newby - i3 took me down a bridleway
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdhnn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Newby - i3 took me down a bridleway Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been a contented i3 owner since October 2005, but yesterday I was driving from just north of Shrewsbury to Stiperstones when the i3 took me along a a rough farm track despite the fact that there was a shorter route along proper roads available. We went across some fields, through a farmyard, and across some more fields, all this with deep mud, flooded sections, grass and earth rubbing on the underside of the car etc, before going through a gate to get back onto a proper road again. The sign on other side of the gate said it was a public bridleway.

Has this sort of thing happened to anybody else? Is there someone I should report it to?

The specifics of the detour were - Pontesbury to Habberly to Upper Vessons Farm to Snailbeach. To be fair, Google Maps marks it as a road, but believe me it isn't.

I'd be interested to hear anyones comments on this. Thanks, Richard
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Settings-Navigation-Avoidances and check that Avoid Unpaved Roads is selected.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby - i3 took me down a bridleway Reply with quote

mdhnn wrote:
Hi all,

the i3 took me along a a rough farm track despite the fact that there was a shorter route along proper roads available.

Use the route you know then, leave the Sat nav turned off!!! Jumping With Joy

And if that were you worrying moi sheep then keep orf moi laaaandd!!!! Gun Shoot Out
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
alan_t
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby - i3 took me down a bridleway Reply with quote

mdhnn wrote:
We went across some fields, through a farmyard, and across some more fields, all this with deep mud, flooded sections, grass and earth rubbing on the underside of the car etc, before going through a gate to get back onto a proper road again.

sorry m8, buy thats pretty funny Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using GPS and common sense are not mutually exclusive! Laughing

I intentionally ignore 'Ivy' sometimes - just to wind her up...

Aitch
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds just like mine, - bless! 8O
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby - i3 took me down a bridleway Reply with quote

mdhnn wrote:

Is there someone I should report it to?

Yes, Pontesbury police. It is against the law to drive a motor vehicle along a bridleway.

I find it incredible that you continued to follow that route. I come from Shrewsbury and regularly walk in that area, you are very lucky that you managed to get out of there under your own steam.

Nick.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Newby - i3 took me down a bridleway Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:
mdhnn wrote:

Is there someone I should report it to?

you are very lucky that you managed to get out of there under your own steam.

Nick.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Nick, lucky? could that be spelt D-U-M-B? or maybe even truth adjuster? Driving
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Newby - i3 took me down a bridleway Reply with quote

mdhnn wrote:
Has this sort of thing happened to anybody else? Is there someone I should report it to?

Yeah, this has happened to me a few times. It is easy to start trusting the GPS to know exactly where to go and then it does something quite odd. My old Garmin GPS-V took me down a series of country lanes and farm tracks one day and I even had to ford a river. We did get there in the end though. Laughing

Less amusing is when it tells you to go down a one-way road the wrong way or make a turn where it is prohibited. You have to get used to the occasional error in the maps and work around it when you can.

Practical advice:

Switch on "Avoid unpaved roads" if you haven't done so already.
Use "Faster time" in routing preferences (favour major roads) rather than "Shorter distance".
Report the map error to Navteq http://update.navteq.com/df_form.asp?language=en

Hey, and Welcome to the forum too! Wink
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Newby - i3 took me down a bridleway Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:
Yes, Pontesbury police. It is against the law to drive a motor vehicle along a bridleway.

Looking at the OS maps, it appears to me that this is a road which is also used as a bridleway.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on recent trip to the lakes i had pre loaded a poi for an exact spot on crummock water, but en-route the i3 took me down some very questionable lanes, ones that had gates i had to open and close (as opposed to cattle grids) it never failed me despite this, but does question the use of 'shortest or fastest' route, mine was set for shortest, hence i suspect the scenic route.

I cannot complain because i assume using a paper map i would have stuck with main roads, thus resulting in some superb views and scenery being missed out on. we should all bear in mind that if we are on a leisure trip like i was with my family, it might be worthwhile going shortest than quickest, we have some amazing countryside in the UK that we may just miss out on!

Roll on the summer!!!

By the way, tap in google images and check out crummock water - you'll see what i mean!
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

mdhnn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies.

Firstly, my i3 still had all the default settings (which I had been perfectly happy with) so - 'avoid unpaved roads' - off - 'quickest route' - on. You'll be pleased to know I have now checked 'avoid unpaved roads' (Thanks Ash, Skippy).

Quote:
sorry m8, buy thats pretty funny

Actually Alan, it was very funny we were alternating between being gobsmacked and laughing hysterically.

Aitch, Nick, Jonny - in my defence it did not suddenly change from an A road to a mud track. The change was very gradual and by the time it was obviously inappropriate turning back would have involved reversing for about 1 mile over the same inappropriate terrain. It seemed easier to keep going forwards and this turned out to be the right decision as we got where we wanted in the end. Also Melissa (our i3) convinced us it was the right way to go. The bridleway notice was only seen as we were leaving that section of 'road' and as Skippy said, this is actually a road which is also a bridleway so hopefully no laws were brocken. As a Ford Focus driver I certainly wouldn't choose to drive down a bridleway, especially as an alternative route was available.

Quote:
I come from Shrewsbury and regularly walk in that area, you are very lucky that you managed to get out of there under your own steam.

Nick - If the weather had been any worse or if it had been night time we could have been in real trouble. I would recommend that everyone checks 'avoid unpaved roads' unless they have a 4x4 and are capable of using it. It should be the default setting for the i3. You are lucky to come from that area, it is very beautiful, my father was born in Stiperstones village, hence our visit.

Finally - Skippy - I will report it ot Navteq as this was not the quickest route.

Thanks again,

Richard
noelmg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think unpaved roads affects it most of the time, the unpaved roads I guess are the brown ones you occasionally see - we got caught out the same way.

It took us down a lane, onto a dirt track and we scraped the bottom of the car several times. I had to get out twice when the entire track was flooded to see how deep the water was. The only other people there were motocross bikes. We eventually encountered a huge mound of earth blocking our path right at the end, so we had to negotiate a three point turn in a Vectra estate on a single track dirt track, and do the whole thing again.

This took us about an hour to cover 1 mile each way, but the road we were on was showing as a normal paved road (yellow).

Pretty scary stuff!
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe people that encounter these bridleways marked as a regular road should post the longitude/latitude at both start and end points (where they meet a proper road). Then we can compile a POI file with proximity alerts.

I know that the mapping should be correct in this respect, but I think it's unlikely that there will be an update any time soon and even if there was we'd still have to pay for it.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V8 version of maps will have a significant number of these 'farm tracks' removed. The rest will be done for V9. Which version are you using?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: