Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 300: About updating from 4.42 to something else
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 300: About updating from 4.42 to something else
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 300: About updating from 4.42 to something else Reply with quote

Hi...

I got hold of a 2nd hand Tom Tom 300 yes2day and after spending a few hours on here, Ive got to understand that Im a little behind on the software versions Embarassed

However from reading posts, Im not sure what the outcome of an upgrade will be. Ive heard an upgrade may cause my map to require me to reactivate it thru registrastion (I dont know all the codes though..Product blah blah). Is this true? If this or similar was to happen, would rolling back the software from a backup of the initial SD card put things back to normal???

I spose what I really want to know, is am I running an unstable Tom Tom by keeping this verison...Basically, I'd like for someone to point me in the right direction. Advise me on whats what. Perhaps im missing out on a heap of new implemented features. So far all I've managed to do, is update the speed cam POI's

I'm all excited with my new toy and want to get the best out of it, I just dont want to 'frig' it up Crying or Very sad Wink Laughing

Thnaks in advance
Tommyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to know about the navigate around/avoid congestion zone (london)

Where is this feature...I read about it all the time but i cant find it for love nor money Evil or Very Mad
snewey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI MATE I HAVE A TOMTOM 300 AND I CANNOT DOWNLOAD SPEED CAMERAS OR POIS IF YOU KNOW ANYBODY WHO COULD HELP LET ME KNOW CHEERS MATE
snewey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI ME AGAIN IF ANYBODY CAN HELP ME DOWNLOAD STUFF TO MY TOMTOM YOU WILL MAKE SOMEBODY VERY HAPPY
Tommyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

Thats the info right there...Make a little donation if ya can. It goes to a good cause
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom 300: About updating from 4.42 to something else Reply with quote

Tommyboy wrote:
I got hold of a 2nd hand Tom Tom 300 yes2day and after spending a few hours on here, Ive got to understand that Im a little behind on the software versions Embarassed

Do you mean you have a TT Classic with V4.42? The 300 came with V5 installed.

If you have a Classic with V4.42 I would stick with that until May when you will be able to Upgrade the Maps as well. You will need the Product Code of the Map to Upgrade, otherwise you will have to pay full price for a new Map.

If you didn't get a CD with the Classic I would do a Full Backup the SD Card to your PC.
Tommyboy wrote:
I'd also like to know about the navigate around/avoid congestion zone (london)

Where is this feature...I read about it all the time but i cant find it for love nor money

It doesn't come with the older TTGO.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Tommyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I thought it was the 300 Crying or Very sad

Have I been mugged off...I was told it was that as a reference so I could read up on the spec. Hmmmm, so now what

Will I be able to get some of those pretty little features (congestion charge...shortest route etc...and all the rest of stuff I must be missing that the 300 with Version 5 now has?)

This is the info i have loaded on the TT 'classic' at the mo. Let me know your thoughts

App 4.420
32mb RAM
GPS v1.21
Boot 1.35

A back up of the SD has been done already. Was the 1st thing I did
Map: GB v 390
The thing about waiting till MAy...Can u explain this. What happens in May? Oh, I dont have the CD either. It came bare bones style

Answers on a postcard....
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, you do have a Classic.

To get Postcode and Congestion Charge facilities (as part of the software) you will need V5.xxx of the Software and the latest Maps. Map Upgrades usually come out every May.

However, to qualify for a Reduced Cost Map Upgrade, you need to know the Product Code for your Current Maps. That is a 15 digit alphanumeric code in 3 sets of 5 digits.

If you can't get this from the seller, you will have to buy a Full Priced Map. From memory the Upgrade Price was about 70% of the Full Price.

I don't think there would be much point in buying a New Map now, and then Upgrading again in May. Just for the sake of 3/4 months.

You could Update the Software, but to be honest I don't think it will be worth it without New Maps.

Tommyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that...You been a big help. Well for £150 I spose im not to far in the hole Confused

So far, Ive been fine with the map installed...At least it knows where I and a few birds live - Laughing Out Loud

Just feel like I might need to talk to the seller about gettin a refund if this turns out to cost more money than its worth I.e map upgrades etc. I'll probably hit the £200+ mark after the 1st without the product code (I might aswel try and get a Go 300 off the ebay or summink Confused with the codes blah blah
Tommyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upto date side by side, ive jus been told the classic & 300 are on par. Jus the Bluetooth functions missing

Is that it?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Classic has "ASN" which uses some hardware to guess where you are by your movements if it loses signal. Its not terribly good apparently, but it is something that the 300 doesn't have.

The main point that I think you should make is that you were led to believe you were buying something that would have had Maps and firmware at least a year or so newer than what you actually got. So functions like full 7 digit postcode search will be missing too (until you buy a new map and update the software. That's something I find very useful.
Tommyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!

Im easy goin so if it was just a feature or 2, icould live without that. Its jus that im thinking A) Did I pay too much for it considering how far behind on updates i am (how bad is it) and B) How much would it have ended up costing me by the time im up 2 speed ??
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To qualify for a Reduced Cost Map Upgrade, you need to know the Product Code for your Current Maps. That is a 15 digit alphanumeric code in 3 sets of 5 digits.

Have you got a Product Code? If not can you get it from the seller?

If you can the Upgrade Map would only be about £60.

sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think there will be a reduced map upgrade in the Spring?

The "upgrade" programme for the old Classic maps was set up by TomTom last year and they ended it in November. They then started selling full price newer maps on card and download.

If they do offer an upgrade, will it only be for v5** or v6** maps?
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows. TT is on different ground now. They have V4, V5 and V6 maps being used at the moment and will have to decide how they want to work the Upgrade Path.

They have made it more difficult for themselves by having V5 and V6 Maps issued in the same year.

It's going to be another 'wait and see'.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: