Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Update on the CP6 patch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Update on the CP6 patch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Hiding their light under a bushel!!!! Reply with quote

You would have thought they could announce it of the site front page rather than needing a specific search in the support pages site.

For those that have not found it here it is
http://support.alk.eu.com then select Pocket PC sub cat Pocket PC6 ; catagory Updates & patches

Downloads are slow - methinks it is popular already ;)
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish we could edit here.

The downloads for me are not just slow more like sucking it through a straw ~ I am on BB and it is coming through at slower than dial up Rolling Eyes

Try later on maybe Confused
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I have just downloaded everything on BlueYonder Broadband in about 5 minutes.

Strange!
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions on the ALK website are spot on.

The only points to watch are: -

1. It takes close to 10 minutes to uninstall the existing CoPilot.

2. The GPS connection defaults to bluetooth. I had to re-discover com4 port.

My favourites are still intact.

I'll try it out in the morning.
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil

Download problems - I have recently had my line DSL Maxed and it is still going through the 'learning phase' but my test speeds are still good at approx 1mb awaiting it to climb to at least 2.5mb ~ at the end of a very long piece of wire here Wink

alk in their wisdom have put them on the http server rather ftp, so somewhere in the chain is a weak link slowing it down (for me).

I will try after midnight (if I am still up).

Incidently, do post any feedback about about the patch when you can?

TIA Smile
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I managed to download and install it OK. I haven't been out with it yet.

I played the demo tracks. Seems to use the WAV file female voice for safety cameras, and appears not to read out the speed the camer is set to still. Midn you think could just be the demo track. That just says 'Safety Camera Ahead'.

I think the new way to enable safety camera warnings is less confusing than the previous version - where I found I had to have it enabled in two places.

The demo track seems to say 'AY' instead of UH for A roads now, which is better.

Clive
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nivek22 writes:

Quote:
It takes close to 10 minutes to uninstall the existing CoPilot.

But it isn't necessary to uninstall the old version (if it's a v.6x.x.x). After unzipping the patch, just copy the new CAB files into your PPC 2577 directory, then double tap on it. It will automatically over-write the previous version. That should take less than a minute.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said the above, I see that ALK are specifically instructing uninstallation of the previous version.

Does anyone know if that is really necessary, and why? I've certainly ended up with v.6.0.1.68 without uninstalling, and I really don't want to be bothered with it - especially if it turns out that I have to do the same to revert to my previous version iof this one is no good.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and, having said that, I know, I should have read ALL of the instructions...
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thoughts on the new patch

So far as I can see, the majority of changes are to do with the addition of a Safety Alerts option with the other changes being reflected in the options screens and are as follows:

Safety Cameras:
When Cameras are added to the New Safety Alerts they are still added a s POIs - the intention is to only select Safety cameras in one OR the other. If Safety alerts are used, a separate reporting distance is set for them, so you can now have differrent alert perameters for the Safety Cameras and any POIs you chose to be warned about.

I have tried the 'old' OV2 method (as POIs) which still seems to work the old way, but the speed of 30 is spoken as 3 in TTS (and as 'safftie' camera!) and the screen is still blanked for 30 seconds. I can't comment on how, or if this differs from v6.0.0.68 because I never got them to work on my hardware.

The new method simply shows a small translucent box (the map remains)with the speed limit shown (small text) and a text countdown in yards, but you only get a Camera Warning spoken with no indication of the type of camera in either the warning or the on-screen display.

Routing:
The ability to delete a routing profile has now been added.

Routing Profile:
Option to Avoid Propane-Restricted Tunnel has been added to any Advanced profiles you may create (not default)

Guidance:
The Just ahead warnings no longer have a distance, just the time.
Custom display no longer refers to Top (which since there is only one line of custom display in CP6 is appropriate)

POI Alerts:
Airport is no longer selected by default (it was in 6.0.0.68 for me)

Language & Speech:
Complete re-working with the new facility of being able to select the keyboard type (CoPilot Keyboard, Keyboard, Letter Recognizer, Block Recognizer) Although the CoPilot Keyboard is still added to and selectable in the other apps. I am not sure, but there may still be other issues here.

Map:
A Preview route tick box has been added. This change is reflected on the Going to screen, where the Start Driving button is replaced with a Preview route button (the Close button will still take you directly to the navigation screen). If pressed, you are taken to a screen which shows you a map of the route, which you can toggle with an itinerary. although I have had issues with the itinerary initially returning a blank screen - but when I added a waypoint everything was OK and remained so when the waypoint was deleted.

TTS
Much improved UK voice ('A' is 'AY' rather than 'UH'), Although there is an issue with UK TTS - it remained as the US voice for me, but when I changed to Australian, then back to UK everything was OK

I haven't had time to look for any changes to any routing algorithms, but so far (fingers crossed) nothing new seems to be broken, and genuine improvements made.

Unfortunately, ETA is still Estimated time OF arrival (ie 10:23) rather than Estimated time TO arrival (ie 23 mins).

I haven't looked at the routing, or to see if there are any changes to the way the PC application works.
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil

Thanks for the summary. Some aspects of CP I had yet to get to grips with but having read your report and the pdf files from the download site I now have what I hope is better insight into the safety camera database updating.

In the instructions they refer to deleting AOxxx files because 'old' POIs are incompatible. This echoes one of the advised methods 'hereabouts' and then they refer to renaming the PockectGPSworld files but make reference only to the single file database. In my original/current setup I used the Speed Based (23 files) database which I found quite interesting in that it identified the camera type e.g. mobile, Gatso, specs. Does the single file database identify the cameras by type and speed? If not, what is the advised renaming convention for these files?

Lastly, compared to the support site info and the "distance" Alk kept between themselves and PocketGPSworld databases, they now have acknowledged positively that safety cameras alerts are a key market for the a CP user update. Or am I being too positive Wink

TIA Smile
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I only really use my PPC for navigation, so when an update comes along which requires uninstalling or deleting files I just do a hard reset of my PPC, and start again.

Well when I say start again, I maintain an image of my PPC with everything I require with the exception of CoPilot instaled and configured so that all I have to do is recover it and them instal CoPilot.

As to the new Safety Alerts - I think that they may only be added here if they have the name safetycamera.ov2 (and bmp).

As to if the speed is displayed, I think you must have missed the bit where I said it was in my previous post, it is the camera type which is missing.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
Unfortunately, ETA is still Estimated time OF arrival (ie 10:23) rather than Estimated time TO arrival (ie 23 mins).

Which is correct. If I have to get to a meeting, or to get a ferry, etc, I want to know the time at which I will get there.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody use this in the US yet ?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
neil01 wrote:

Which is correct. If I have to get to a meeting, or to get a ferry, etc, I want to know the time at which I will get there.

I do agree that there are times when you need both, but not one of them twice. I was writing quite late so I possibly didn't make myself 100% clear, I wasn't referring to the fixed field in the very bottom left hand corner of the screen, which correctly shows the Estimated Time OF Arrival but to the ETA in the selectable Custom display which can show time, altitude, speed etc. We now have the absolutely absurd situation where if ETA is selected as your Custom Display you have Estimated time OF Arrival shown twice, in my case one is in 24hour format and the other in 12 hour format.

When I previously took this matter up with ALK, they said it was a problem they were aware of and were working on a fix.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: