Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing TTNav5 to MDA Vario (XDA Mini S) - no maps found!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing TTNav5 to MDA Vario (XDA Mini S) - no maps found!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mumin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Installing TTNav5 to MDA Vario (XDA Mini S) - no maps found! Reply with quote

Hi, I desperately need some help... this string may seem long but i tought i'd explain everything in detail:

I just upgraded to T-Mobile MDA Vario (XDA Mini S) and also purchased Tomtom Navigator 5... all boxed up with TomTom SD Card, User Manual CD, TT GPS Reciever with Charger and Quick Start Guide booklet. I dont know if there suppose to be any Installation CDs or not but i didnt get any. The Quick Start Guide simply says: Put the SD Card in the PDA, Turn the GPS Reciever on and Click on "Start"... The 1st problem is that the Vario uses miniSD so I coppied all files from the SD Card to the miniSD (including any hidden files) and went to File Explorer on the Vario and hit "Start". At first it seemed like it was working as it asked me if i wanted to continue (or something like that)... but then it froze and nothing changed on the screen - still on the file explorer screen. I tried to click "Start" again but no action - nothing seems to happen... nothing!

Now i've read through loads of things on this website with other people's issues and downloaded the upgrade to v5.21 from the tomtom website (file name: navupd521). I linked up the Vario to my laptop and installed the upgrade which seemed to be installing fine! It installed "TomTom Navigator.CAB" and "TomTom TomTom.CAB"... during installation it asked me to "Choose a location to install "TomTom TOmTom" - Device or \Storage Card". First I selected the \Storage Card. That was it eveything was installed and I had TOMTOM Logo on the desktop of the Vario - hurray!! Clicked on tomtom and it loaded up and went through the language selection and so on... got to the voice selection with Jane and others... but wasnt highlighted so couldnt install any of them... it let me continue to the next stage... then it came to Select a map: no maps found! and the only option it gives me is Cancel. I Pressed Cancel and loaded the TomTom again and it goes straight to "no maps found!"

And that's where i'm stuck and need help on... i've tried everything: reset the vario, add/remove program and re-installed the navupd521 file various times... still no luck... even selected the Device when asked where to install TomTom TomTom... no joy... even when i've removed tomtom and re-installed it... when i click on TomTom - it goes tright to "no maps found!"

PLEASE HELP ME!!

Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you used a card reader to transfer the data from one card to the other that may be the problem, if you can copy the map folder to your main pc/laptop(from the TomTom card), then connect your unit to the pc/laptop and then transfer the maps to it that way it should work, takes ages but should work.

NOTE: if you did use a card reader, then put the card(from your unit) back into the card reader first and remove the map folder from it, the card reader may be able to see and read the data but your unit can't. So delete the map folder first or it will say that it has not got enough room on the card.

See if that works.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you copied the files did you enable the check box to show hidden files in windows explorer? if not then there are probably one or two important files missing, try it again with that checked (windows explorer/ tools/ folder options - view tab, Hidden files and folders - Mike
mumin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys... i got it working... i thought of something while reading trhough your suggestions...

The mistake i made was that i created a folder called setup in my miniSD card and coppied all the tomtom files into that... so i got rid of the setup folder and put all the tomtom files in the root directory... and it works!!

Everything up and running!!!

But i got no voices now... so as the voices folder is empty... any ideas where i can get the original voices from???
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try creating an empty folder in the root of the mini SD card called tomtom don't put anything in to it and the voices should work - Mike
mumin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, created the tomtom folder and created a voices folder and downloaded Jane's voice and put the file (data05.chk) in the voices folder!

Everything is working fine, fantastic!

Thank you all for all your help!
Mumin.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it going in the end. And a belated welcome to the forum, next you want to get the safety cameras loaded, links to the database are on this sites home page, as are the instructions, also if you fancy trying some different voices/ options to tailor the TomTom further try www.tomtomsatnav.info - Mike
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when you get sick of a stupid voice and would like a bit of piece and quiet...without disabling the 'safety' camera warnings....select a voice that is greyed out, ie not downloaded, and hey presto...no more turn left, turn right etc etc.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps Do let us know how you get on with the Vario as the O2 deal seems a pretty good deal...thinking of getting one myself..mind you I don't suppose TT would let me transfer TT5 Navigator over to this Mobile Windows version...if it's even possible.....unless someone knows different ??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeact wrote:
And when you get sick of a stupid voice and would like a bit of piece and quiet...without disabling the 'safety' camera warnings....select a voice that is grayed out, i.e. not downloaded, and hey presto...no more turn left, turn right etc etc.
The easy way to do this is to load the silent directions voice from the above mentioned site, this way it won't mess up the unit, I agree some of the voices can get tiresome, but the ones from Ray's site are the ones I use on a daily basis, clear, loud and easy to understand, what’s even better are the safety camera warnings using the same voice, far more professionally sounding set-up - Mike
futuresbright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeact wrote:
ps Do let us know how you get on with the Vario as the O2 deal seems a pretty good deal...thinking of getting one myself..mind you I don't suppose TT would let me transfer TT5 Navigator over to this Mobile Windows version...if it's even possible.....unless someone knows different ??

i have been using the xda mini s/vario for a couple of months now and i can highly recommend it.

tomtom works like a dream and with original tt bluetooth receiver there is no configuring to do just start the program and away you go.(whats a com port?never had anything to do with them!! :D )

regarding your switch from navigator dont worry as long as you can activate it it uses the same software.

i have switched from c500 and am very glad that i did,although its a bit bigger you will never get fed up of playing with this pda/phone.

hope this helps you make your mind up.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having seen one in the O2 shop I'm wondering about this now too. Do I get another Nokia Smartphone or the XDA Mini?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from C500 to MDA Vario (XDA miniS/K Jam/Wizard). Runs TTN5.2 flawlessly, pairing to Com6 is no problem. Just a note, I see you are a long term TT user, your older TTN5.0 maps will not work with v5.2 and as yet I have not found a way to run v5.0 with this WM5 device. All other features run smooth baring the odd glitch.
Look round for deals, I went with TMobile in early December.
1 Free device
2 200 min X network anytime
3 40 MB GPRS per month
Total spend over 18 month contract (web n walk 200) will be £402. When I was looking the Vario alone was £300/350 on eBay.
futuresbright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went down the o2 route instead of t-mobile didnt fancy the 18 month contract but they do do some cracking deals at the moment.

I got free handset,double minutes,double texts and free insurance for the first 3 months all for £30p/m.

the thing that swayed it for me over any other handset was the built in wi-fi,i havent seen that anywhere else on a device this small.you can now browse pocket g.p.s on your toilet if you like!! 8O

these are just my opinions any nokia users out there care to sway him back Question
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it:

Advantages:
It's a fully featured PocketPC and can do everything a PocketPC can do, not that I had much use for it when I had one but the smaller size might prove decisive.
It's got a bigger screen than my Nokia so would be easier to look at in the car.

Disadvantages:
Compared with a smartphone it's still quite large.
Would need to buy all new charger cables, not to mention new TomTom software.
Some reviews say the phone audio quality is poor.

Does it have any hands free features?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: