Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice alerts - not sounding on Nuvi 1490T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice alerts - not sounding on Nuvi 1490T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TILE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Voice alerts - not sounding on Nuvi 1490T Reply with quote

HI - I have loaded voice alerts into my Garmin Nuvi 1490T. These have loaded via P.O.I. in folder named "favourites". When I connected the Garmin to the computer then went to "My Computer", pressed the explore button, the folder was in the Nuvi. I double clicked on the favourites folder and all the voice alerts were displayed. I then clicked on one of the alerts and was taken through to Windows Media player, having clicked on "play all". Sure enough all the voice alerts were played without a problem.
I then put the Garmin in the car but all I got was the oblong box in the middle of the screen giving camera information but no voice. Having thought that I must have done something wrong, I loaded another voice through the P.O.I. - this folder was named "PG PSW - speed cam - RRK 11 (1)" same as before the folder was in the Garmin. I then went through the same process as before with exactly the same results - perfect voice camera sound; all the imputs were MP3 FORMAT SOUND. But still no voice in put when used in the car.
Can anyone help - I am tearing my hair out. Thanks in anticipation.
TILE.
P.S. Also is it possible to turn off the map voice so that the SAT NAV can be used as a camera seeking tool.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the buy.garmin.com website, the 1490t doesn't come with an mp3 player.

If so, you'll have to follow the other set of instructions on this PGPSW site, and convert your voice files to .wav using audacity. Quite easy but repetitive!

Watch the bitrate is correct. And remember to get sox.exe in the folder where your PoiLoader sits. Then put your converted voice files into the folder along with your camera poi's, and load the whole lot together with PoiLoader.

PART TWO - not sure about your unit, but certainly with my 255wt you can turn the direction instructions on and off. The way I did it was with Ash10's Voice Utility.

I took a copy of the English-British voices and split them into pieces. I substituted a short silence for all of the directional instructions. (I left the warning items unchanged eg battery power lost). I rejoined the pieces with Ash10 and packed them into a file named English_American_.vpm (to replace the one of that name on the unit).

Now, I can switch the unit's languages between English-American (for no directions) or English-British (for full directions).

Dales
TILE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: dales reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the repy dales.seems to make sense, I will be trying to implement your instructions over this weekend.I will let you know how I get on
TILE
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you confirm you are using POILoader to load the voice files with the CSV and bmp files? I ask because they are usually all combined in one file called POI.GPI. You shouldn't be able to see the individual mp3 files on your unit if you've done it right.

Also moved to the Garmin PND Forum

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: