Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin GTM 35 TMC / Power Cord
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GTM 35 TMC / Power Cord

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m4ttc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Garmin GTM 35 TMC / Power Cord Reply with quote

Has anyone connected this in more permanently than having trailing wires to the cigarette lighter?

It seems a lot more substantial than normal cables

thanks in advance
Matt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit a ciggy lighter socket behind the dash and plug the charger cable in to that.

If you want minimum wiring visible in the car connect the RDS receivers "String Aerial" to the center core of the car aerial via a small ceramic disk capacitor, this component is to block any DC voltage from the cars aerial reaching the RDS receiver. With the RDS aerial connected to the cars aerial it also increases the available signal which can be handy for picking up a traffic signal when it areas of the country devoid of decent signal coverage. I detailed how to make such a connection is This Thread.

Finally bring the cable to the device mount out through an airvent, consider fitting the Garmin cradle to a Brodit "Ball" and Pro-Clip to suit your car, this leaves you with no cables visible other than around three inches between the airvent and the actual device holder. Have a read through This Thread for a few ideas, the power cable wiring behind the dash is covered on page two of the thread I linked to.

The above approach is what I have been using for over 18 months in my own car using various TomTom products, I haven't (as yet) done the same with the GTM-35 but it is on the list of things to do when I get around to remembering to order the Brodit/ Garmin compatible "ball" - Mike
m4ttc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike!
I am not sure I am confident enough to wire in a new cig lighter tbh but certainly can do the brodit proclip as I used one on my X5 many years ago for mounting my PDA with TomTom3.

The brodit garmin connection seems very good but expensive.. Any tried Carcomm CNM-21?
cheers
Matt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carcomm CNM-21 looks good value and will fit the 3790T mount as all the Nuvi range use the same diameter ball, screew that to a Pro-Clip and away you go.

As for installing a second ciggy lighter socket, its not difficult and such a part is available ready wired from the likes of Maplin, all you need to do is hide it behind the dash - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: