Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go500 just died on my??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go500 just died on my??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nigel-DV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Go500 just died on my?? Reply with quote

Has anyone else experienced this?

I bought a Tomtom Go 500 from Carphone warehouse in UK just 2 weeks ago. I used it once on a 2 hour round trip, fine, then after a 12 day break, I used it again on a 4 hour round trip.

This is what went wrong. I was using the built in battery; then suddently the battery low warning indicater started to allert me that the battery was running low. I pulled over, then plugged in the ciggerette power chord and continued to drive for another 20 minutes.

I reached my destination, then after an hour in my friends hous I returned to my car, got Tomtom out of glove compartment, plugged ciggy power chord in and turned on my Tomtom, fault; the green power light came on, but that's it, the screen was dead; nothing.

I turned it off, green light goes off, then turned it on again, nothing, just green light and dead screen.

I tried powering it up with no power chord plugged in (I figued the built in battery must be somewhat charged as I'd been using it on power chord for 30 minutes) and tried powering it up, nothing, not even green light.

Anyway, it was dead so I returned it to carphone warehouse and got a refund. Why a refund, because the price had just dropped by £20 so I got a refund, walked around the corner to another brance of Carphone warehouse and bought a new one from scratch.

Anyway, my brand new one seems fine so far, after 5 minutes use anyway. But I'm concerned as to why the last one died on me.

Could it be something to do with the way/order in which I plug in the ciggerete charger and power up the Tomtom, could it have blown something inside due to charge comming from the car battery?

Very concerned as when this happened I was 80 miles from home with no AtoZ in the car (there is now).

Any advice on what could have caused this so I can prevent it happening in future?

I just noticed on the new one, there is a 'reset' button on the base. I never knew it was there, do you think if I had pressed this on my old dead one, it would have fixed it? what does this button do?

Thanks guys.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always been a reset button on the GO. ;)

It would probably have got it going again. It just reboots the system, nothing on the SD card is lost.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also force a re-boot by taking the SD Card out, and re-inserting, before switching on again.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Nigel-DV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, would it have been likely that the Tomtom blew an internal fews, or burned out the circuit board because of the ciggerett charger off the car battery?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I'd expect if it just needed a reset.
Quote:
I used it once on a 2 hour round trip, fine, then after a 12 day break, I used it again on a 4 hour round trip.

This is what went wrong. I was using the built in battery; then suddently the battery low warning indicater started to allert me that the battery was running low.

If that was all on the internal battery, no wonder! Six hours active use plus twelve days standby (it's never "off", just resting) on a battery rated for 5 hours use, its doing very well!
Quote:
I turned it off, green light goes off, then turned it on again, nothing, just green light and dead screen.

If it has been left on until it discharged completely, its quite possible it would need a reset.
Quote:
I tried powering it up with no power chord plugged in (I figued the built in battery must be somewhat charged as I'd been using it on power chord for 30 minutes) and tried powering it up, nothing, not even green light.

Nothing has changed - it still needs that reset. The green light indicates "charging", not "on".
So no charger, no light.
Quote:
So, would it have been likely that the Tomtom blew an internal fews, or burned out the circuit board because of the ciggerett charger off the car battery?

No, it needed a reset.

By the way, you'll need a straightened out paper-clip. Wink
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

By the way, you'll need a straightened out paper-clip. Wink

I believe there is a deluxe reset tool for sale at about £15
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:

I believe there is a deluxe reset tool

I think i found it,

Only use when necessary.

http://www.rollag.com/pages/Steam_hammer_jpg.htm

Nigel-DV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
No. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I'd expect if it just needed a reset.
Quote:
I used it once on a 2 hour round trip, fine, then after a 12 day break, I used it again on a 4 hour round trip.

This is what went wrong. I was using the built in battery; then suddently the battery low warning indicater started to allert me that the battery was running low.

If that was all on the internal battery, no wonder! Six hours active use plus twelve days standby (it's never "off", just resting) on a battery rated for 5 hours use, its doing very well!

No, it needed a reset.

By the way, you'll need a straightened out paper-clip. Wink[/quote]

No, that was not all on battery, only part, the latter half was on power, so there was plenty of charge left in the device as it had been used on charger lead for the last 34 minutes of the journey.
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do these symptoms differ from those when the car charger is faulty and delivers over-voltage to the unit and fries it?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't happen to 300/500/700 series, otherwise they don't differ.
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Eldar

Please could you give me the technical reasoning behind your statement?

Are the TTG x00 series internally protected or does the "new" charger design not use a sense wire?

Thanks.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reasons for the original charger breaking down was crap workmanship and schematics. Both have since been improved I haven't seen a single 300/500/700 series unit burnt by the original TomTom charger for this series.
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the response. Basically it means, don't attempt to use an old GO charger on the new series because there is still the risk of destruction then. Now I know what to steer clear of when looking at junk sales. Smile
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, I'm seeing more and more of the old GO units destoyed by the charger.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later Classic chargers were OK. They were marked 24/12V DC.

The early ones were 12V DC.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: