Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which GPS Receiver for iPAQ 2210 and TT5?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which GPS Receiver for iPAQ 2210 and TT5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treborvfr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Which GPS Receiver for iPAQ 2210 and TT5? Reply with quote

At the moment I run TT5 with an iPAQ 2210 and a Globalsat BC307 GPS Rx.

Since upgrading to TT5 I have never been very happy with the sensitivity of the set up, I always seem to acquire less satellites than I did when using TT3 (I am using the latest patch for TT5) and loose the signal regularly whereas with TT3 very rarely did.
On occasions, with TT5 on loosing the signal, I loose the fix completely and it can take ages before a fix is obtained again.

I believe that the drivers with TT5 result in the GPS performing with much less sensitivity than with TT3.

Of late I think the problem with sensitivity has worsened, possibly the BC307 failing? This, together with another fresh problem of TT5 locking up resulting in a soft reset to get it back, makes me tempted to revert to TT3 and see if things improve.

That said, there is a temptation to try one of the latest, more sensitive GPS Receivers. I like the convenience of a Compact Flash GPS being powered from the iPAQ so only one power source required (I use it mainly on my motorcycle so prefer to travel light, the fewer chargers the better!). However, I am keeping an open mind and could sway to a Bluetooth GPS, probably the Globalsat BT338 or the Holux BT236. Trouble is I've heard that Bluetooth devices can be a problem with an iPAQ 2210 with the Bluetooth signal dropping out when on the move and becoming unuseable.

So, I'd like to hear comments from those that use the iPAQ 2210 (or 2215) with TT5 and Bluetoooth GPS particularly Globalsat BT338 and Holux BT236 please.
Any pros and cons with either BT Rx?
Are things likely to improve and would the upgrade be worth it?
What about Compact Flash GPS receivers?

All comments gratefully received.

Bob
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Holux 236 BT and its brilliant ,no drop outs of signal ,sits in the glovebox of my car never loose a signal easy to set up ,so i can not fault the 236 well worth the money :D
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob

Quote:
Trouble is I've heard that Bluetooth devices can be a problem with an iPAQ 2210 with the Bluetooth signal dropping out when on the move and becoming unuseable.

News to me. Never had a problem - 338 works fine from the glovebox & under the seat - should be fine from a jacket pocket if you're on a bike. Lasts for ages on one charge.

Trouble with CF GPS is fiddling around swapping cards in and out - plus how to protect the 2210 and CF on a bike.

Personally I'd stick with BT - Holux or Globalsat, both seem well received.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I remember the bluetooth issue was down to the sd card reader which was not reading the card fast enough usually this was solved by using a cf card that said we havent had any issues of this latlely on the site with the 2110 so I think that hp solved the problem this didn't affect all 2210's have you tried takeing a back up of the sd card and then formating the sd card I know my own 2210 runs fine as does a few friends ipaq's

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
ROBBINS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you need to run the 2210 with a good CF card - try valueflash for good prices.

Robbins
treborvfr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use a CF with the 2210, just a 1GB SD card, never had any problems before when using TT3 with these cards, only have the maps and some music stored on them.

To everyone else, thanks for the comments so far, it looks like gewtting a decent BT GPS is the way to go.

Bob
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi treborvfr,

Using an SD card with a BT receiver on an iPAQ h2210 caused the Bluetooth problem.

I run TomTom Navigator 5 on an iPAQ h2210, with a Kingston 1024Mb CF card (bought from valueflash), and a GlobalSat BT-338. The whole set-up is stable and the BT-338 is a fantastic GPS receiver.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
treborvfr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi treborvfr,

Using an SD card with a BT receiver on an iPAQ h2210 caused the Bluetooth problem.

Oh dear, I've not that long since bought the 1GB SD card, I know they are not that expensive these days but it seems that to get TT5 to work properly I have to throw more money at the set up Sad

I think I may just revert to TT3 Sad ,
at least it all worked then, and at a later date just go and buy a proper GPS such as a Garmin.

Bob
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ive used a SD card for my 2210 for running TT5 and have not had any trouble at all :D
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi treborvfr
I can assure you that the BT338 and the Ipaq 2210 work together perfectly. Its gets a fix from cold in seconds and wont loose it even when driving down streets surrounded by high buildings. I can honestly say that since I have run TT5 and the BT338 the program has never froze, never lost its signal or let me down in any shape or form. I should add that I use in the UK and on the continent where it also performs without mishap. I wouldn’t dream of going back to TT3
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
treborvfr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your input.

I must say I'm torn between getting a BT-338 (and making my existing system work as it should) and buying a Garmin 2610.

Time to check out some prices I think.

Bob
tenminnit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need help please

I have a HP Ipaq 2210 with 1.10 bios and have successfully used it with TomTom 5 with infra red connection for GPS with a universal car mount.

I now need portability between a number of different cars.

A bluetooth receiver is the answer for me having loaned a pal's cheap bluetooth GPS receiver set up via NMEA option at 9600 baud through bluetooth com 8 in TomTom - it works well

I decided to go better! I have bought a Holux 236 - configured it as above as the recommendation at www.holux.com FAQ.

The symbol at the top RH corner revolved but gives the message 'No GPS Device' on configuration. When a route is planned gives the message 'Waiting for a valid GPS'

Is the Holux faulty?
treborvfr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your help with this, I finally opted to go for a Globalsat BT338 and should be getting it in a few days.

So just another question if you don't mind.

What is the best way to set it up with a iPAQ 2210 and TT5, do you just set it up has 'Other Bluetooth GPS', or 'Other NMEA GPS' with baud rate 38400 and Bluetooth Serial Port Com 5 or 8 ?

Cheers

Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: