Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP: Wiring into cigarette lighter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP: Wiring into cigarette lighter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: HELP: Wiring into cigarette lighter Reply with quote

ohh right.. how much did they quote u for the 848569?
Omar78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: HELP: Wiring into cigarette lighter Reply with quote

iv not received my order yet. i don't understand how they had it in stock when u ordered, but for me they had to get from brodit? especially when i odered mine a couple of days before u did.

i will phone them tomorrow and see what they say..
russgunn
Regular Visitor

Omar78, have you got your 848569 yet? Mine has just arrived. Don't need it now though as I successfully modified my setup using the active version. If you haven't got it yet and you're able to cancel your order with Nemesis you can have mine for £12.00 inc postage. Let me know.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Russ,

I'm with trafcam - identify the wire that provides the +12V to the cigar lighter socket and use that. Don't use the lighting +ve - at the very least, the load you put on it may blow a fuse somewhere.

It should be fairly easy to identify which is which. If they're individual connectors, pull the brown one off - and I suspect both the lighting and the socket will stop working (which suggests its the earth). Replace the brown and pull off one of the other two - it will either stop the socket illumination or the socket power working!

If it's a multiplug, unplug the lighter completely, and a multimeter across the bulb contacts of the socket will allow you to figure out what is what.

Double check that you have found the right wires with a multimeter before doing anything to them. If you don't feel confident in doing that, I suggest that you don't modify the vehicle's own wiring.

David
Omar78
Occasional Visitor

iv taken some more photos.. hope they are of use..

http://omarmulla.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/photos/photos2.zip
Omar78
Occasional Visitor

ok i'll take some more detailed photos today sometime. yes the old lighter socket is still in and fully operational.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

I'll check my lights trafcam cause I can't remember to be honest! There's no reason why they'd need to be on when my lights are off anyway so I don't think so. I would imagine that the central wire on the back of the lighter is the positive for the lighter itself, as the other two are at the edge and one of those is the brown negative. The other at the edge should therefore be the light.

Took a look at the pictures Omar, looks tidy. However, I can't see how you've wired it though from those shots. Need to see where your wires come from etc, plus where the old lighter is, is it still in there?
Omar78
Occasional Visitor

well finally got some pics of my setup.. its just the car mount now thats missing..

have a look and tell me what you think.

i couldnt manage to get the pics on here.. so iv had to zip them down..

http://omarmulla.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/photos/photos.zip
trafcam
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by russgunn on 20 August 2003

Yes, the lighter is illuminated. Does it matter which one of the two, apart from the brown neg wire, I use as the pos? I would have thought they'd be the same 12v supply with the brown wire just acting as neg for both of them? What do you think?

Yes, because if you use the one for the illumination it will probably only be on when you have the lights on. Unless yours is one of those cars where the dash lights are on when the heaadlights or sidelights aren't.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

I think he said £14.99 plus postage.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

I'm going to wire my PDA cradle power cable into the back of my 12v lighter socket in order to keep my console cable free. I'm going to snip off the socket end, strip back the wires and solder directly to the contacts at the back of the lighter. However, my lighter has three wires entering it, does anybody know which would be which? I have brown, red with black stripe and light blue. Will I need a multimeter to test before commencing? Why three wires when surely pos/neg would only be necessary?

Any ideas?
russgunn
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply Omar.

Yes, I have the TTN2 Bluetooth setup so my requirements were that my cradle need not be a bigger expansion pack type, nor did it need extra room for additional cables from the GPS receiver, as it's Bluetooth. However, I wanted a cradle with the least amount of cabling protruding from the bottom as possible. This is clearly not an option if I wanted to charge my PDA in the car. I was interested in the 848569 only because I believe the 12v power cable actually enters behind the cradle so it would in fact look a bit tidier than the one I have, the 968534. Therefore, it would be easier for me to push the cable in behind the dash and run it to the lighter electrics with no untidy bits. Well, that was the plan!!!

Even though I've already got this cradle I've also ordered the 848569 direct from Nemesis so I can see if it's a better and cleaner solution to mine by using the tomtom cable. If it is I'll sell the one I've got for about £20. The chap at Nemesis quoted me a few days rather than 2 weeks though.
Omar78
Occasional Visitor

russgunn,

well the 848569 has slot at the bottom which you can see.

this slot is the same slot on your 5450 so you can plug anything into it.. sync cable, gps,power etc.. the 968534 on the other hand has a built in power connector. you can remove this power connector if u want.

i was initially going to go for the 968534 but then i read about the new ones.. and thought they would be better for me. i think it depends on induvidual needs. i have a Royaltek Sapphire GPS receiver. the cable stems off into 2 connectors a power connector and a data connector. the power connector powers both ipaq and gps.. and the gps cable will be connected to the brodit connector. so all i have to do is place the ipaq in the holder.. not place the ipaq in the holder and then connect the gps cable..

the 968534 is great if you dont have a gps unit..

the price is cheaper i guess because your not getting the power connector with the new one.

on the handnav site it says 10/9 before they can get the new connectors in.. but nemesis said because they are brand new they havent got any instock.. but can order them direct from brodit. which is what i did..

do u have a gps unit russgunn?

hope you can make some sense from all this Smile

russgunn
Regular Visitor

Omar, I was in fact thinking of ordering the very same 848569 cradle. The one below...

However, I was told by Handnav that I needed the 968534, again below. Thing is I can't really tell the difference. Do you know? How is the power connection different? I can see no connection on the top picture!

Omar78
Occasional Visitor

i have a 5450 as well.. on the brodit website there are some new type of holders.. with connectors built in, so that means if u have ur gps cable going into the mount then all u ever have to do is remove/place you ipaq into the holder.. no messing around with cables..

the lady at nemesis said £16 for this holder.. the item code is 848569.

well i guess i'll have to wait 2 weeks before i find out.

will post some photos (as soon as iv cleaned my car) its a nice and neat setup.. the only visible cable is the 5cm cable which will plug into the mount.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: