Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom One or Navigator 5 for my 2210?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom One or Navigator 5 for my 2210?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freaknout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom One or Navigator 5 for my 2210? Reply with quote

Hi team

Sorry a newbie here so be gentle!

I'm interested in the TT One or the Blue Tooth pack for my iPaq 2210. What are the main advantages of going with either?

Although I have a 2210 that's not being used much I'm a bit concverned that there will be a mess of wires in the car. Does the BT pack also include a charger for the iPaq obviously I don't have 2 cigarette lighters!

Thanks in advance!
Jay
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would say a resounding TTOne

I have and do use both, and find the freedom and simplicity of the One makes it a much better option for day to day use,

Plug it in switch it one, its running,

With the PDA/Bluetooth Solution, its extra items to carry, its extra charging leads, its a pain in the neck, and being a PDA it can also through up troble from time to time unlike the dedicated system

My wife found using the Ipaq/Bluetooth system a pain to the level where she just would not use it when travelling, Now dhe has a TTOne she uses it all the time,

Go with the One you know it makes sense Laughing

Richard
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi freaknout,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

freaknout wrote:
I'm interested in the TT One or the Blue Tooth pack for my iPaq 2210. What are the main advantages of going with either?

What an excellent question! Although ultimately it’s one that only you can answer as everybody’s requirements are different. I have a 2210 running TTNav 5 with a GlobalSat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS receiver. The TomTom One is an excellent unit it has a built-in SiRF III GPS receiver so it’s on par with the GlobalSat BT-338. Personally I like TTNav 5 on the 2210.

freaknout wrote:
Although I have a 2210 that's not being used much I'm a bit concverned that there will be a mess of wires in the car.

Not really, I use an active Brodit mount from my 2210 so that’s on charge all of the time. The GlobalSat BT-338 has an excellent battery life, which I think is around the 18+ hours.

freaknout wrote:
Does the BT pack also include a charger for the iPaq obviously I don't have 2 cigarette lighters!

Don’t know, if you want to use the 2210, then I’d go for the software only plus the GlobalSat BT-338 GPS receiver. I’d use a Brodit active mount for the 2210 mounted on a Brodit Pro-Clip fro your vehicle via a Brodit Move Clip, which would allow removal of the 2210 mount for security purposes.

I use a four-way power splitter, which allows me to run several SatNav systems and a radar detector all at the same time.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
freaknout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Thanks.

Quote:
What an excellent question! Although ultimately it’s one that only you can answer as everybody’s requirements are different. I have a 2210 running TTNav 5 with a GlobalSat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS receiver. The TomTom One is an excellent unit it has a built-in SiRF III GPS receiver so it’s on par with the GlobalSat BT-338. Personally I like TTNav 5 on the 2210.

I haven't heard of the GlobalSat BT-338 but I see that there is a review on the site. I'll check it out.

Quote:
My wife found using the Ipaq/Bluetooth system a pain to the level where she just would not use it when travelling, Now dhe has a TTOne she uses it all the time

Thanks for your help Richard. It will need to be used by the wife as well and having it all together, without wires, is a big plus.

Can I just clarify that the functionality between the two is essentially the same, it's just a different way of going about the same job?

Thanks
Jay
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they both function exactly the same, same maps same interface,

I am using my One with the Full UK & Europe Map pack and the Full US & Canada Map Pack, and really do find it better for just jumping in and out the car, not having to worry about setting it up,

The real advantage of the One is its all in one package, I did use the Ipaq HW6515 with built in GPS and TT5 but the internal GPS in that was flaky so ended up having to use an external bluetooth unit with it, just not ideal

I have used many setups, XDA, XDA2, Mio168, Ipaq HW6515, to name a few, but there was always something just a bit heath robinson about the whole setup, the One is the first time I have felt that its a totally reliable solution that will be there 100% when I need it,

Richard
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with the TomTom One route. I started with a TomTom Go 300, then went to a Mio 168, on to a SPV M2000 and now have the TT1. All were completely usable but there is something about just taking the TT1 from its holder and dropping it in my bag, it's that easy.
Again, it's personal use that dictates which you want. For a while, I wanted a Smartphone/PDA solution as well although the Bluetooth got a bit confused with GPS and a handsfree call at the same time although this has been sorted out in the Mobile version.
I think we are spoilt for choice at the moment, lucky us!
Doug
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom One or Navigator 5 for my 2210? Reply with quote

freaknout wrote:

The main advantage of the ipaq is that it is smaller and easier to carry than the ONE and it's also an Ipaq so you can use it for things other than navigation. If you are definitely not going to use your pocketpc as a pocket pc then the advantage swings in favour of the ONE as a better overall solution.

Quote:

Although I have a 2210 that's not being used much I'm a bit concverned that there will be a mess of wires in the car.

Yes you will have less wires with the ONE, just plug it into the power and you are sorted, ipaq is somewhat less straightforward.

Quote:

Does the BT pack also include a charger for the iPaq obviously I don't have 2 cigarette lighters!

No, it has a charger for the BT GPS which will also charge the ipaq. However the BT GPS will last 8+ hours without problem so long enough for most journeys.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi freaknout I see that you hadn’t heard about the BT338 GPS Receiver before looking at this forum. Well, believe me, its brilliant. I’m in a position where I have had the opportunity to use quite a few GPS receivers over the past two years and believe me I have yet to find one that can rival the BT338. It picks the Satellites within seconds and doesn’t loose them even when driving through the so called Urban Canyons. I can remember other occasions with other brands when I have nearly thrown the GPS device out of the window in my frustration. I have used the BT338 here and abroad and it has never failed me. It works perfectly with my 1paq 2210 and the battery life is quite astounding. You cant ask for more than that.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: