Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Waypoints in TT5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Waypoints in TT5
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Waypoints in TT5 Reply with quote

I've just "upgraded" (IMO a backward step) fromTT3 to TT5.2 and the need for a GPS signal to allow you to experiment with the itinerary planning in the comfort of an armchair indoors, renders this feature useless.

TT 5 desperately needs some way of choosing a a "Point of departure" without a GPS fix so that you can experiment and plan journeys and routes of your own choosing, especially when you know the shortcuts along parts of routes. There wasn't much wrong with TT£ so why has TomTom ruined something that used to work so well Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, use the advanced planning option on page two of the menu, this will do what you want - Mike
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Phil, use the advanced planning option on page two of the menu, this will do what you want - Mike

Perhaps I'm being a bit thick here. I understand how I can plan a route between, say, London as my point of departure and Manchester as my destination, by using the "Advanced planning" option on page 2 of the menu, without the need for a GPS fix from the comfort of my armchair.

What I am having trouble doing is: planning a specific route, say, between London and Manchester using the "Itinerary planning" on page 2 of the menu, where I want to go to, say, Oxford, Birmingham and Chester as "waypoints" so that the route takes the roads of MY choosing (rather than TomTom's choosing) on the itinerary before arriving at Manchester. How can I do this without having a GPS fix? So in the "Itineray" I have listed:
London
Oxford
Birmingham
Chester
Manchester.
Manchester is set as the destination and all the others are set as waypoints.

How do I make London the "Point of Departure" without a GPS fix? If I plan the itinerary with a GPS fix, then the route always starts from the location where I have the GPS fix taking me to London first, then through the Itinerary.

In TT5 can find no way of making London the Point of Departure with or without a GPS fix, whereas in TT3 it's easy peasy. Your advice would be appreciated.

Also, is there any way that TT5 can be set to give 3 seperate noise alerts at intervals as you get closer to an approaching speed camera POI like you can when using Checkpoint in TT3?
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.

I'm using TT5.2 on a Palm Lifedrive if that makes any difference to the performance of TT's features.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I am having trouble doing is: planning a specific route, say, between London and Manchester using the "Itinerary planning" on page 2 of the menu, where I want to go to, say, Oxford, Birmingham and Chester as "waypoints" so that the route takes the roads of MY choosing (rather than TomTom's choosing) on the itinerary before arriving at Manchester. How can I do this without having a GPS fix?

This is from the Sticky TT5.210 Bug Report:

Quote:
Workaround(5.1 only!):- tap the A - B icon (Advanced planning), set departure and destination (depart from near your location), calculate the route, select "Route" in the bottom left corner, select "Show route demo",tap the sreen and confirm thar you want to stop the animated demo. Now go to itinerary planning. When clicking "Done" now your TomTom thinks it stands at the point where you stopped the demo.

It does actually work.

Roger
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
Quote:
Workaround(5.1 only!)

It does actually work.
Roger

As already said, I'm using TT 5.2 and this workaround does not work.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah!

It works with TTN 5.21 on a Pocket PC.

Hadn't read your P.S. about TTN 5.2 on a Palm Lifedrive.

Roger
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philbattenburg wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Perhaps I'm being a bit thick here. I understand how I can plan a route between, say, London as my point of departure and Manchester as my destination, by using the "Advanced planning" option on page 2 of the menu, without the need for a GPS fix from the comfort of my armchair.

What I am having trouble doing is: planning a specific route, say, between London and Manchester using the "Itinerary planning" on page 2 of the menu, where I want to go to, say, Oxford, Birmingham and Chester as "waypoints" so that the route takes the roads of MY choosing (rather than TomTom's choosing) on the itinerary before arriving at Manchester. How can I do this without having a GPS fix? So in the "Itineray" I have listed:
London
Oxford
Birmingham
Chester
Manchester.
Manchester is set as the destination and all the others are set as waypoints.

How do I make London the "Point of Departure" without a GPS fix? If I plan the itinerary with a GPS fix, then the route always starts from the location where I have the GPS fix taking me to London first, then through the Itinerary.

In TT5 can find no way of making London the Point of Departure with or without a GPS fix, whereas in TT3 it's easy peasy. Your advice would be appreciated.

Also, is there any way that TT5 can be set to give 3 seperate noise alerts at intervals as you get closer to an approaching speed camera POI like you can when using Checkpoint in TT3?

I have no experience with previous versions, but the short answer is you cannnot. The first point is you are trying to plan a series of waypoints so from wherever you are (gps fix) and so you will be directed to your first instruction once gps has been fixed. What you seem to be trying to do (correct me if I am wrong) is to pre plan a route to travel to a destination via certain points. A very subtle difference.
The way to achieve this is to use advanced planning as previosly stated. Where you will start at the first point on your list (London) and once calculated, choose the points you wish to pass through using the "find alternative" option and set a series of "travel via" points. Downside is there is no way of saving this for future as you would an itinary.

May be different to what you are familiar with but it will get you there from your armchair.
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
... choose the points you wish to pass through using the "find alternative" option and set a series of "travel via" points.

I'm following this one with interest, as I've not been able to solve it in the past either. Are you sure this will work? I don't have TomTom with me now but I'm sure when I tried that it only allowed me one "via" point - when I tried to set a second one, it replaced the first one. I'd be interested to know how you're getting it to set several vias.
BTW as I use a Pocket PC, I can use GPSGate to simulate the GPS signal at any position I choose, so I do use Itinerary as the original poster wants to do. However, last time I looked GPSGate wasn't available for Palm, so that won't work either this time.
Let's hope someone can crack this one!
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used this facility on numerous occasions for my calls and once I've planned my route I use Itinerary planning to save the trip in case it's needed in the future. However, it won't calculate the route until you have a GPS fix which IS annoying, however the solution above works well enough.

I think where you are going wrong is saying that you want to start from London. You don't need to enter where you start from as the GPS fix will get this when you sit in your vehicle. You should only need to enter your first point then your waypoints and your final destination - not your starting point.

Its a bit like counting - you don't count zero, one, two etc - you start with the first one you encounter i.e. one as you are already at zero.

My apologies for labouring the point but if I want to go to AAA, BBB, CCC, then DDD, I set DDD as the final destination and the others as calls en route or waypoints. The fact that I am sat at point ZZZ and don't have a GPS fix is immaterial. When I turn on my TTN in the car, I get a GPS fix, I load my Itinerary and it navigates me to my first point i.e. AAA from where I'm sat i.e. ZZZ.

I think its doing what its probably supposed to do and the problem may be the way you perceive it should be doing it.

Good luck with it Wink

kind regards

Bodger
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
I'm sure when I tried that it only allowed me one "via" point - when I tried to set a second one, it replaced the first one. I'd be interested to know how you're getting it to set several vias.

My appologies you seem to be correct, When I tried in the middle of the night (insomnia) I must have used only one via.
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the uses to which I put my previous TT3 and PocketPC was to plan specific driving routes for a "driving club", going along roads of my choosing so that when I had the final route of MY choice, i had a set of instructions that could be given out to all the drivers driving my route at a club meeting. If I also preloaded the speed camera databse available from this website, then it is also possible to plan a route where we can avoid "scameras" or be aware of them if we need to pass scamera sites on the chosen route.

I find that when route planning in areas "off the beaten track", TomTom3 makes some very bizarre route choices, when a person with "local knowledge" would plan the route differently. It is in such situations that I can make the route into an "Itinerary" route so that instead of it being a route from Point of Departure "A" to Point of Arrival "B" of TomTom 3's choosing, I can make it pass specific locations in an itinerary so that the route from A to B takes MY preplanned roue. In otherwords, I want TomTom to be a "tool" that I can use, like having a map-reading passenger rather than my having to be the slave of the system through the in-built inadequacies. Surely, it would be SO SIMPLE for a programmer at TomTom to write the TomTom5 software so that any single point in the "itinerary planning" menu could be set as a "Point of Departure" like they did in TT3.

On a different note. I have now devised a "workaround" to allow me to get 3 seperate warnings at intervals when I am approaching a POI, say, a mobile speed camera site. I make 2 duplicate copies of the OV2 files labelled "mobile_cameras.ov2" and label one set as "scameras.ov2" and the other "bandits.ov2" (titles of your own choice), I then install all 3 differently labelled copies of the same file into the folder containing the Great Britain map, PLUS just one set of bmp files labelled "mobile_cameras.bmp". I then switch on TomTom on my PDA and in the Preferences, I open the "manage POIs" and then enable all three sets of ov2 files and set up warnings at say 880yds, 770yds and 660 yds respectively. This way, I get 3 warnings to slow down when driving at mobile speed camera sites where these devices catch you BEFORE you arrive at their location sites if there's a van present. Again, there is a bug in the TT5 software,: every time the warning works the next warning comes 1 yard later. So after 5 warnings, the 880yd warning becomes 875yds and so on. I think TomTom needs to employ KwikFit fitters

Laughing
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be missing something here because I thought I'd explained that.

OK let's create a scenario.

Create the following Itinery and save it in TTN.

1. Waypoint - the Post Office in the high street
2. Waypoint - village AAA
3. Waypoint - farm track BBB
4. Waypoint - country lane CCC
5. Waypoint - local beauty spot DDD
(you get the idea)
6. Destination - Rose and Crown car park

Email a copy of the ITN file to all your drivers.

You then get your drivers to congregate in the Rose and Crown car park then flag them off at 5 minute intervals. They will then all follow the route you have chosen (1 - 6 above) where they start from and arrive back at the Rose and Crown car park for a well deserved coffee.

All this can be done without a GPS fix and sat in your arm chair.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:
I must be missing something here because I thought I'd explained that.

OK let's create a scenario.

Create the following Itinery and save it in TTN.

1. Waypoint - the Post Office in the high street
2. Waypoint - village AAA
3. Waypoint - farm track BBB
4. Waypoint - country lane CCC
5. Waypoint - local beauty spot DDD
(you get the idea)
6. Destination - Rose and Crown car park

Email a copy of the ITN file to all your drivers.

You then get your drivers to congregate in the Rose and Crown car park then flag them off at 5 minute intervals. They will then all follow the route you have chosen (1 - 6 above) where they start from and arrive back at the Rose and Crown car park for a well deserved coffee.

All this can be done without a GPS fix and sat in your arm chair.

The point you are missing is none of the participants will be able to preview the route demo without first getting a fix then being routed to the start (first waypoint) which seems to be philbattenburg`s gripe between v3 and v5. Ordinarily this should not be a big deal, but in some senarios where the gps position is many miles from the first waypoint the demo will most probably skip back to the start before even getting to the first waypoint. This is a point I have noted and others have documented elsewhere on these forums. My setup restarts at about 100 miles. As for planning and demo a foriegn touring itinary?
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he ever mentioned that he wanted to preview the route - he said he wanted to create an itinery from his armchair using a start point. Which I agree he cannot do.

Surely the point of all this is that you want to go from Point A to Point D via Points B and C. It doesn't matter where your GPS says you are - you still need to get to Point A to start your journey.

And while we're at it, whatever do you want to run a demo for in the first place? If you carefully setup your route itinery, then setup your waypoints for your preferred route why not let that expensive software work the rest out for you?

I can't see the point of running the demo personally unless you want to drive through your route as a dress rehersal!! Seems to take some of the adventure out of it somehow.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: