Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - newbie needs GPS advice, tom tom, co pilot or neither?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie needs GPS advice, tom tom, co pilot or neither?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: newbie needs GPS advice, tom tom, co pilot or neither? Reply with quote

Happy new year to you all :D !
I’m a newbie who has been browsing the forum. I just registered today because I think I’m almost ready to purchase my first pocket pc.
I want to use it for GPS and to watch compressed DVD movies.
I have decided on the FUJITSU Pocket Loox N520 with windows mobile 5.

Now I have read about tom tom software and I have been reading about co pilot software, but I’m still none the wiser on which one to get Question . I’m going to get the stuff from clove technology, and they recommended co pilot 6 because of better compatibility with windows mobile 5.
I just need some guidance so I can decided which one will be best for me and have the least bugs!
thanks
alistairwat50n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: GPS Advice Reply with quote

I’m not sure about co-pilot but can tell you Tom Tom 5 works well on my HP iPAQ hx4700. I suggest you look carefully at how you will use the GPS in your car. Mounting and GPS receiver feed are important issues. If your car has a heat reflecting front windscreen then a receiver mounted on your dashboard may not pick up a signal & you will need to place the receiver where it can pick up. There are a number of reports on this website that you should read.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/item-menu.php?idSubCat=36

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7300

I hope this is helpful

Cheers

Alistair Watson

PS dont be misled by cheap gear offers there's little difference between the online retailers. If one seems cheaper than the others then there may be something missing from the box.
indian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FUJITSU Pocket Loox N520 has GPS built in :D so no real mounting problems.
one thing i have noticed on this forum is the lack of side by side comparsion between tom tom and co pilot which is quite strange.
i will use my GPS for mainly driving in london, kent and birmingham.
so which one, tom tom or co pilot Question
indian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody have an opinion or some constructive advice Question
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Kent and drive throughout England and am perfectly happy with Tom Tom. It does every thing I want it to do, but may not do everything you want. Other people on this forum swear by Copilot, because it does everything they want it to do.

At the end of the day if you only want it for routine sat nav (knowing where you are, having some POIs on and being able to plot and follow routes door to door) then either would suffice. However if you are planning a trip to Ireland in the near future then Copilot has the better coverage at present, or so I am told.

It may be that you will find one slightly more convenient than the other, but I have seen opinions both ways on that too. Suggest you go somewhere that has a demo of them and decide which you find easier.
alistairwat50n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had a quick look at the Clove website, the PDA you are looking at has an integrated GPS receiver which will no doubt work well provided the GPS signal can penetrate your windscreen. I suggest you make inquiries about your car windscreen to make sure the signal will reach the receiver (no heating elements or silvering) I note the PDA only comes with a data USB cable, you may find a cradle a more convenient arrangement. So far as mounting is concerned you may find the “usual” sucker mount on the front windscreen allows the PDA to vibrate when the car is moving, depends on your driving & car, if it does the PDA will be difficult to sight as you are driving. I agree with peterc10’s comments about looking at PDA’s in the flesh as it were.

Best of Luck

Alistair
Smilodon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Decisions Reply with quote

Many people (including myself) are trying to make that same decision (and there are always other packages besides!).

I finally decided on CoPilot, which, when purchased directly from ALK (the vendor), will allow a 30 day return for refund.

I have had it for only less than a week, and like what I see. I had some requirements that Tom Tom had problems with (logging trips, Isle of Man coverage, better "forced" routes, etc.). But, I still long for some of the Tom Tom features as well. It (Tom Tom) was just a little bit less of a perfect fit at the moment.

Good news is that I know it runs well on my equipment, and with my GPS unit, without the financial risk. If it proves to be a dud, I can return it, but I'm not thinking so at this point.
indian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alistairwat50n wrote:
I’ve had a quick look at the Clove website, the PDA you are looking at has an integrated GPS receiver which will no doubt work well provided the GPS signal can penetrate your windscreen. I suggest you make inquiries about your car windscreen to make sure the signal will reach the receiver (no heating elements or silvering) I note the PDA only comes with a data USB cable, you may find a cradle a more convenient arrangement.

yeah i have heard about this, i have a 2002 toyota celica. i suppose i can contact toyota but what do i ask them about the windscreen Question
does anyone no off hand if my windscreen will cause me reception problems Question
the FUJITSU has the new SiRFStar III GPS Receiver and i hear this will counteract any potential windscreen reception problems. is this true.

thanks for your advice, as i'm new to this it seems i can choose any decent gps software and i will be ok because i have nothing to compare with
alistairwat50n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your starting point must be your local Toyota dealer (their official website doesn’t seem to offer any help) I do not know how much better Sirfstar III receivers are than the earlier (II) but suspect from my reading of other threads on this site that you should anticipate reception problems if your windscreen is silvered or has heating elements.

I do not want to sound negative about these issues, they can be overcome by using a re-radiating Arial.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: