Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS Reply with quote

Dave has mentioned earlier in this thread precisely which setting he used in the TomTom GPS driver - and I think that's the information you've repeatedly failed to post, Paul.

On the second tab of the TomTom GPS application, there's two drop down lists at the top. One is the port. The other is the setting that Dave is interested in.

David
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS Reply with quote

Just got in from work and War & Peace has broken out on here.

The Time Lag I had over the weekend doesn't seem as bad as Pauls, I was getting the 2nd instruction to turn when the road was right next to me, while on my old Receiver it told me a few yrds before the road, but I wasn't in a built up city, so could be worse if I was. It seemed to have a 1 to 2 second delay, when driving on a straight road at a nice set speed the pointer was always just behind, again about a second or two behind, but nothing like what Paul has mentioned.

Reading DavidW post on page 2 Quote: 'I have once seen Navigator 2 hop to an adjacent road when stationary at traffic lights in Central London. At that time I only had a relatively poor 3 satellite fix.' I have noticed this when sat in my house, it jumps around a little until I get 4 or even 5 satellite fix, my old card would lock with just a fix of 3 & I live out in the country, just open fields around me, so no tall buildings or trees.

The manual states that its shipped with the default of NMEA, but can be easily switched to SiRF mode. How to switch I don't know and the difference between them I still don't fully understand.

Dave, not sure what setting you need, but I'm using 2.24/2.07 & the defaults (I just put the card in and drive). I've left the receiver at work so can't check the setting, but will done tomorrow.

How easy is it to go back to 2.06 or less?

Thanks for all your help Dave & David.
bobsys
Occasional Visitor

[QUOTE=orrett] Like you i know nothing about sirf. I though you used it to wash clothes. However, I have tried to switch from nema to sirf using the utility the guy from syson sent. It wont buy it. At best it defaults to nema at worse it locks up.
Paul[/QUOTE]

1) What utility did you get from Onsys ? Can you mail me a copy ?

2) Have you used other GPS software ? Destinator, OziExplorer, Dashboard ?

3) You have not exactly specified what driver you used in TT. You onlysaid it was version 2.8 BUT ... you have to go into GPS settings second page where you need to select the com port AND select your GPS from a list. In that list you CAN select a name for your GPS OR you can experiment with native driver for different NMEA settings and/or you can select a SIRF protocol. Naturally in such case you must be sure to have set your GPS before to the correct protocol using one of the many utilities arround. Changing the protocol with some of these utilities may seem very confusing and look like it does not work. In that case read the manual again and again and again. These manuals are often written by Japanese or Koreans whose English is not all too good. Read it carefully and verify each step. You have not nearly done enough tests in order to come to the conclusion that this device is no good for use in TT.

4) If you dont want to do that and you want to recuperate the lionshare of what you paid without any hassle then sell the unit to me and I will pay you 150 Euros any way you want !
bennyblanco
Occasional Visitor

bobsys. it seems my buyer is looking to pull out Sad so may be able to sell to you when mine arrives (i am trying for a refund first Smile)

that €150 would be not including postage i assume (about an extra €12?)
bobsys
Occasional Visitor

[QUOTE=bennyblanco] bobsys. it seems my buyer is looking to pull out Sad so may be able to sell to you when mine arrives (i am trying for a refund first Smile)

that €150 would be not including postage i assume (about an extra €12?)[/QUOTE]

Bennyblanco

No no, the 150 Euro is all I want to pay. The reason is that a mate of mine is going to the US next week and I can get one there for 150 Euro (165 dollars). The trouble is he will stay there for about 2 weeks and I am anxious to get my hands on one asap.
PS: I trust you and am willing to pay you ahead.

Bob
bennyblanco
Occasional Visitor

Good news. The guy from eBay has very kindly offered a full refund as i have not opened the box up yet Smile

Question is now which to change for, swaying at a TomTom Bluetooth (seems good and all the kit you get with it) or a Socket Bluetooth (I would like CF, but i dont like the way the CF bit sticks out, ie doesnt make the aerial bit flush with the iPAQ, unless someone else can suggest one?).

Any views on this? (they seem pretty even matched)
And price wise (in the UK at least) they are only about £10 apart.

thanks!

Ben
tone_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: My two pence worth :o) Reply with quote

...for what it's worth....

I bought one of the afore mentioned Sysonchip GPS CF Plus thingies about a week ago from eBay.

I have been using it to death for the past week with my iPAQ 5550 and TomTom Navigator2 - and I have to say it's spot on.

I get no lag on the mapping - I get a minimum of a 6 sat fix indoors, and a 9 sat fix in the car (with no extra gubbins). I'm as happy as can be with the whole thing.

I'm in total agreement with the review - it deserves max marks in all categories.

Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear :D I've been receiving a lot of emails over the past week from others who have purchased the SysOnChip CF Plus and say they're more than happy with it's accuracy and the extra signal it brings in.

SysOnChip did mail me saying that some earlier models which had their beta firmware in did have problems with lag, but these were changed and fixed in the production models.

Unfortunately I suspect the people selling units on eBay, may have picked up some of the earlier batch of cards, and this is why several who purchased them early had the problem.

As I have a HP 2210, it means I do have the CF slot spare in most cases, and whenever possible I'll slip the SysOnChip CF Plus in and use it as my preferred GPS. The serial number I have here starts with 030626**** and this I find works perfectly.

Interesting enough, probably today we will be releasing what I suspect will be a contriversal article on SiRF XTrac with some photos on how TTN2 reacts differently (not by much). Thumbs Up
mroebuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to the addendum for SysOn CF GPS Plus Reply with quote

Hi

Since reading the addendum to the SysOn review I have checked the serial on my unit, the serial number matches yours i.e. 030626. I read from this that my unit HAS the updated firmware? (Also purchased from eBay). :D

I experience a LOT of lag, turns made 5 to 6 seconds (at least) before TTN2 announces them. TTN2 makes a large loop through several streets before it catches up again a few hundred meters later. Twisted Evil

I also had an issue with my home position being at least 50 meters out and TTN2 placing me on the next street!! I now understand this to be a FEATURE of the TomTom software’s "Road snap" function and nothing to do with the SysOn. :D

The signal that the unit pulls in is NOT an issue!! The unit is VERY powerfull, but what's the point of all this power if it's unussable because of the lag. Maybe a walker under heavy foliage cover may find it usefull??

I have only tested the SysOn unit at "B" road speeds i.e. 30-40 mph. I presume at motorway speeds the lag will be worse.

One of my main fears is that I would have liked to use the unit with the Speed camera overlay! This is pointless with the amount of lag; the camera would have a perfectly exposed picture before I even knew it was there!!

Mick
mroebuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Sorry forgot to mention!! Reply with quote

I first tested the unit using the NMEA protocol (device defaults)!!

I then used CruxView to change to the Sirf protocol, NO change, exactly the same ammount of lag!!
Sad Sad
Mick
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick, not necessarily. I do have a 030626 serial number and I am running fine with it, but it's highly possible that the firmware was updated to make sure there wasn't a problem before it was sent to me. I've had quite a few emails this week from people who have an 0308 without any problems.

I would contact Dian at SysOnChip and ask if he can clarify whether you may have one of the earlier beta firmware editions and if so, what can be done to resolve this.
tone_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: The SysOnChip Serial No debate.... Reply with quote

Refer to my previous post - the serial no on my unit starts 03082***** - if it helps.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the 0308 models don't appear to have problems, so I'd say this is probably a good bet. I think anyone seeing serious lag should contact SysOnChip.

I have had lag with fast acceleration and deceleration, but I thought I had taken a couple of screenshots to show this, but they weren't on my Pocket PC's when I looked, so I'll have to take these again and I'll update the XTrac Or No Xtrac article when I've got them.
mroebuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Thanks Dave Reply with quote

Hi again

I sent an email to SysOn this morning and included the serial number of my unit.

Don't know if I sent it to Dian though??

Mick
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you send an email to the manufacturers contact email address listed at the bottom of the review ? If not, it won't get to Dian, as this is his email address.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: