Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS Reply with quote

At the moment, nobody is stocking them in the UK, but within the next month there should be several retailers stocking these, I'll update everyone here when they're in.
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS Reply with quote

Just found a place that sells them for £128 inc P&P.

I've just ordered one, I'll let you know if / when it arrives.

Chorlie
Regular Visitor

Well it arrived today and all seems to work fine, I'm yet to test it, but it picks up a signal very quick (after the first time).

I do have a techie question, what is the difference between NMEA & SiRF? its defaulted to NMEA, which is better and if SiRF is better how do I change it?

Darren
Frequent Visitor

Chorlie, where did you source it from ?
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

I bought it off Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3044771932&category=4668) and it came from Germany. You could bid on 1 or buy 1 out right for £120 plus £8 p&p. It's new in the box with all the manuals and a CD for notebook users.

Still don't understand the difference between NMEA & SiRF?.

orrett
Occasional Visitor

I bought one of these from ebay on the stregnth of your review.
I am a virgin to GPS - so felt it best to spend more on the best product.
Yes it is simple but it is also the case that there are time lags which result in incorrect information.
On a practice drive around my town I find it telling me to turn right onto roads I have just driven past. Basickly it just seems to take a while occasianally to work out where you are. Consequently the voice commands can be wrong.
Ok Welwyn Garden City has a lot of trees and maybe this model is better than other GPS, but if it is then the other must be quite poor, if not to say dangerous. (PS using TOM TOM II which has its own problems it clearly does not know all the one way streets).
So unless there is some magical setting that I have missed I would urge you to review your review so that other novices like I am not mislead again.
For what it is worth my inital view of GPS is the same as my view of voice dictation. Really cool idea, wished I had saved my money until it works.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Which driver are you using in TTN2 ?
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

I've used it a lot this weekend and I have to agree with orrett about the Time Lag. I also have a Fortuna CF Receiver and I never had any Time Lag with that. Also the best signal strength I've managed is 6 with my old one I was getting upto 8, but its the Time Lag which is the pain. It's not as good has your review makes out.

I have a Dell Advanced PDA, with TTN2 2.24 & 2.07, Maps on a SimpleTech 256mb card.

Any Ideas on the Time Lag Dave?
orrett
Occasional Visitor

Hi Chorlie

Nice to see I am not alone. As for drivers I am using the latest ones on the TT website, downloaded on Friday.

Any suggestions greately received. But other buyers should be very wary of this product,having said that I have never used gps before, so maybe it is better than others, but I respect Chorlies view.

Paul Orrett
orrett
Occasional Visitor

Later thoughs....

I have emailed Syson and the german guy who sells the cards on Ebay. If they dont come up with a solution pronto I shall press for my money back.

In the mean time I think you should take your review down. The card is simply nothing like your review says. Did you actually test in in operational conditions - or just sitting at a desk?

I think you should provide some solid evidence to substantiate your judgement. Whilst I dont blame you - I make my own choices - your review gives it full stars in every category - leaving no room for doubt that it is the best on the market. It is very annoying for those of us who conduct lots of research before we plunge in to read review that by consencus seem simply wrong. For the moment you should protect others unless and until you can prove categorically that this product is as good as you say.

bennyblanco
Occasional Visitor

i hope you guys were just unlucky, i too on the strength of the review ordered one, which should be here tomorrow...

same situation (using it for car gps with tomtom) and if that lag is correct, i shall be most annoyed, as it does make it a completely useless purchase....
Dave
Frequent Visitor

The SysOnChip CF Plus is using SiRFXTrac, which will give some Time Lag if the GPS is hunting trying to bring in more satellites. This wasn't something we noticed in the review, but then again satellites didn't seem to jump around.

XTrac can be highlighted more by TomTom Navigator 2 as you can find that if you accelerate or decelerate quickly than you will see this lag much more, especially if you brake quickly at a traffic lights, with XTrac and TomTom Navigator 2, you may find the pointer continuing on for a bit on the map.
orrett
Occasional Visitor

Pity you did not say that in your review. You should take it down or pay people compensation here on in.

It is not as if your review even hinted at any shortcomings - like a full star complment in every category.

Thanks for nothing pal.

Paul
bennyblanco
Occasional Visitor

fantastic, just what i want to use it for Sad

will open box very carefully then to test, but if its as bad as you say, will send / or at least try and ebay back off.

anyone had any better news yet, like can this thing be flash upgraded in the future to possibly solve the problems?
bobsys
Occasional Visitor

[QUOTE=orrett] I bought one of these from ebay on the stregnth of your review.
I am a virgin to GPS - so felt it best to spend more on the best product.
Yes it is simple but it is also the case that there are time lags which result in incorrect information.
On a practice drive around my town I find it telling me to turn right onto roads I have just driven past. Basickly it just seems to take a while occasianally to work out where you are. Consequently the voice commands can be wrong.
Ok Welwyn Garden City has a lot of trees and maybe this model is better than other GPS, but if it is then the other must be quite poor, if not to say dangerous. (PS using TOM TOM II which has its own problems it clearly does not know all the one way streets).
So unless there is some magical setting that I have missed I would urge you to review your review so that other novices like I am not mislead again.
For what it is worth my inital view of GPS is the same as my view of voice dictation. Really cool idea, wished I had saved my money until it works.[/QUOTE]

Care to sell it to me ???
At http://www.aralstore.de/aralstore_de/catalog/factsheet1_cc.service?part=computer&oldopen=0&open=0&t=cc_fact1&rubricid=100169&articleid=100333&kid=85s it is sold for 179 Euro. I am offering you 150 Euro.

Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: