Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Waypoints in TT5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Waypoints in TT5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:
. . . . he said he wanted to create an itinery from his armchair using a start point. Which I agree he cannot do.

That should have read . . . . he CAN produce the itinery but he CANNOT preview the route.

For which I agree with you.
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz,

I think that you are missing the whole point of what I am getting at.

I want to be able to use the TT5 software like a computerised road atlas, which you can with TT3. Here's an example:
Last Autumn, I went on a driving holiday in Scotland and did all my route planning as TT3 Itineraries which I worked out well in advance of the holiday and had stored in the PDAs memory all from the comfort of my armchair. I was able to devise my routes using information from other motorists who had given me some specific routes to follow (but not as TT Itinerary files) which I wished to follow either in part or as part of a larger route. I was therefore able to devise the precise routes of my choosing and I knew in advance that TT would follow my routes exactly as I had planned them, because I was able to look at the route maps as I planned them, and if TT3 went a different route between, waypoint "D" and "E" than I wished, I would insert another waypoint between "D" and "E" which would then make TomTom follow MY chosen route. I didn't ever need to use the DEMO facility of TT3 to pre-run the route, I merely studied the map of my routes as I built up the Itineraries. The pre-planning of my driving routes in Scotland did not spoil the enjoyment of my holiday at all, in fact, it enhanced it, because I was able to concentrate on driving some of the finest roads without ever needing to look at a map or getting lost once. For me, that's how TomTom should work as well as other additional SatNav uses which I also appreciate.

Scotland is about 350 miles from my home, so if I now attempt to plan routes around Northern Scotland from home in TT5, I have to have a GPS fix whilst I'm sitting in my armchair and then I have to wait unnecessarily whilst TT calculates a route to my "Point A", say, Inverness, BEFORE I can then examine my planned routes intended to commence at Inverness. If TomTom then plans part of my route between Points "D" and "E", as described above, I then have to insert another point between D and E and wait ages again for TT5 to replan the route. For me, this makes TT5 a pain in the ar$e to use and considerably reduces its usefulness. Surely, it wouldn't take a proficient computer programmer much effort to write the application so that for me, I could plan a route in the Itineraries, starting at Inverness whilst sitting in my armchair some 550miles away.

I'm sure that I'm not the only TT user who uses the old TT3 Itinerary planner in this way, there must be thousands of other motorists planning holidays abroad who like to do the same.

IMO computers should make your life easier and TT3 achieved this, but TT5 does not. It is a definite design fault with the application which reduces its usefulness. FACT.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" don't think he ever mentioned that he wanted to preview the route - he said he wanted to create an itinery from his armchair using a start point. Which I agree he cannot do."

philbattenburg did say he wanted to "experiment with the itinerary planning" limited if you cannot view the route.

" Surely the point of all this is that you want to go from Point A to Point D via Points B and C. It doesn't matter where your GPS says you are - you still need to get to Point A to start your journey."

Not really by definition, thats the subtle difference I spoke of earlier, your starting point is always the gps fix, point A is always either a waypoint or destination from that starting point.

" And while we're at it, whatever do you want to run a demo for in the first place? If you carefully setup your route itinery, then setup your waypoints for your preferred route why not let that expensive software work the rest out for you?"

Usually I dont, but I can see an advantage of viewing the POIs on an unfamiliar route and maybe modify the route accordingly.

" I can't see the point of running the demo personally unless you want to drive through your route as a dress rehersal!! Seems to take some of the adventure out of it somehow."

HGV and low bridges would be one such adventure.

When all said and done TT is a driving aid and as such everyone has the opportunity to use it however they feel
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to be able to use the TT5 software like a computerised road atlas, which you can with TT3. Here's an example:
Last Autumn, I went on a driving holiday in Scotland and did all my route planning as TT3 Itineraries which I worked out well in advance of the holiday and had stored in the PDAs memory all from the comfort of my armchair. I was able to devise my routes using information from other motorists who had given me some specific routes to follow (but not as TT Itinerary files) which I wished to follow either in part or as part of a larger route. I was therefore able to devise the precise routes of my choosing and I knew in advance that TT would follow my routes exactly as I had planned them, because I was able to look at the route maps as I planned them, and if TT3 went a different route between, waypoint "D" and "E" than I wished, I would insert another waypoint between "D" and "E" which would then make TomTom follow MY chosen route. I didn't ever need to use the DEMO facility of TT3 to pre-run the route, I merely studied the map of my routes as I built up the Itineraries. The pre-planning of my driving routes in Scotland did not spoil the enjoyment of my holiday at all, in fact, it enhanced it, because I was able to concentrate on driving some of the finest roads without ever needing to look at a map or getting lost once. For me, that's how TomTom should work as well as other additional SatNav uses which I also appreciate.

Phil - Versions 5.1 and 5.21 will do exactly what you require above. Are you absolutely sure that Version 5.20 does not allow this? After all the various platforms use the same code base.

Roger
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
Phil - Versions 5.1 and 5.21 will do exactly what you require above. Are you absolutely sure that Version 5.20 does not allow this? After all the various platforms use the same code base.

Roger

Not only am I using TT5 on a Palm I am also an Apple Mac user, so I am really up against "the odds" in interfacing my Palm when most application require a Windoze PC to sync. As a long-standing Mac user, I've managed to install the TT5 via the Mac using a few tips and tricks I found on the internet and a bit of my own learned "Mac savvy". The code may well be the same for both Pocket PC and Palm platform but whatever I've tried to do to get the "Itinerary planning" to give me a "Point of Departure" without a GPS fix has thus far failed to work.

Unfortunately, the copy of TT3 doesn't work on my Palm otherwise I'd stick with that version, because I much prefer it. Likewise, the original TomTom for Palm TungstenT3 wouldn't allow you to add POIs such as the Speed Camera database available from this website. Also, although the latest Checkpoint5 is for an X-Scale processor, as is inside my Palm Lfedrive, the software won't walk with the Palm OS.

At the end of the day surely a well designed and properly thought out computer programme should have as many features as possible to make the application as flexible and as useful as possible for as many users as possible. Surely, it's not too much to ask that you can create a point of departure for route planning. For Gawd's sake where else do you plan to start a journey Question Question Question

Do the software engineers think in Double-Dutch at TomTom Question
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK lads, to further demonstrate my point. Can anyone please send me a TomTom 5 Itinerary which takes me completely around the M25 circuit, in either direction, starting from any junction you like and finishing at the same junction, which I can view as a planned route map without my having a GPS fix which would also give me directions to your chosen point of departure?
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil

Quote:
At the end of the day surely a well designed and properly thought out computer programme should have as many features as possible to make the application as flexible and as useful as possible for as many users as possible. Surely, it's not too much to ask that you can create a point of departure for route planning. For Gawd's sake where else do you plan to start a journey

Who ever said it was well designed?

Without wishing to insult your intelligence try the following step by step guide to see if it works:

To plan this itinerary and then view the calculated route.

London
Oxford
Birmingham
Chester
Manchester

1. Turn OFF the GPS - You must NOT have a GPS fix.
2. Open "Advanced Planning" and select London as the Departure Point.
3. Set an arbitrary Destination (anywhere near is best) and calculate the route.
4. Select "Route" in the bottom left corner then select "Show route demo".
5. Allow the "Demo" to fully start and get under way.
6. Tap the screen and confirm that you want to stop the "Demo".
7. Now go to "Itinerary Planning" and enter the following:

Oxford - Waypoint
Birmingham - Waypoint
Chester - Waypoint
Manchester - Destination

Note: Do not enter London as either a waypoint or the departure point.

8. Now click "Done" and you should have a route calculated from London to Manchester.

Roger
philbattenburg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
Phil

Who ever said it was well designed?
Roger

Nobody could ever accuse TomTom of producing well-designed software Wink

linknet wrote:
Without wishing to insult your intelligence try the following step by step guide to see if it works:

No insult taken. I appreciate the "idiot-proof" step by step instructions. I have followed your instructions to the letter and it still doesn't work for me on my Palm Lifedrive. I still get the message "Waiting for a valid GPS signal..."

I have sent you a PM
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I tried it too (on a windows HP) and after I hit "done" in itinery planning I got the message "navigate there now". If I hit yes then I had exactly the same problem, "witing for GPS signal". However if I hit "no" it saved the itineray but did not actually calculate the route. Is that correct?

Can you save more than one itineray this way or if you try it again will it overwrite your waypoints as I think it will?
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK I tried it too (on a windows HP) and after I hit "done" in itinery planning I got the message "navigate there now". If I hit yes then I had exactly the same problem, "witing for GPS signal". However if I hit "no" it saved the itineray but did not actually calculate the route. Is that correct?

With versions 5.1 and 5.21 it should have shown the calculated route after selecting "Yes"

Quote:
Can you save more than one itineray this way or if you try it again will it overwrite your waypoints as I think it will?

It will be overwritten, use the specific save option to permanently save it.

Roger
EasyD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

The workaround kicks much a**! That was always a pain not being able to plan without a valid signal.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The workaround mentioned in Lutz Bendlin's bug list at the beginning of the TomTom forum enables you to plan an itinerary off line from any start point you choose, with a large number of waypoints. You can try it out and if you are satisfied you can save it for later use. It takes about 5 or 10 seconds to set it up once you get used to it, and I use it frequently. I have just completed a 400 mile journey today which I planned and tested in my armchair yesterday
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Turn OFF the GPS - You must NOT have a GPS fix.

Presumably this workaound will not work on a TomTom ONE because it's not possible to turn off the GPS.

Is there an alternative workaround which we can try on our TomTom ONE?

Hugh
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the all in one forum - this one is for TomTom Navigator (using PDA orphone)
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi philbattenburg
Before my touring holiday in France I planned all the excursion from the comfort of my arm chair. The advanced planning option done it perfectly and I saved each journey in the Itinery folder. When In France it all worked great.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: