Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is my Tom Tom faulty?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is my Tom Tom faulty?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant22288
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Is my Tom Tom faulty? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone...

I recently brought a Tom Tom Go 300 from Comet. It seemed to be working fine up until a few days ago when I came to go to Cornwall. I put the postcode of my destination in and it failed to find it. When I first brought the Tom Tom, I tried this postcode seeing as it was the fursthest one away I knew, and I'm sure it found it although I'm not 100% sure. I've tried numerous other postcodes and it doesnt seem to be finding the correct street, it will find a street but not the one that matches the address. Can anyone help...

I have a backup of my Tom Tom memory card from when I first brought it. I have tried restoring it but my Tom Tom won't let me, saying some error message about the the file "cline" being corrupt or unreadable" but this happens both when I try copying the same file to the Tom Tom and back from the file already on the Tom Tom.

Does anyone know why I cant restore my backup? Should I take it back and exchange it for another one.

Thanks for your help... Confused
EOS20D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been less than impressed with the postcodes in my area, Bedfordshire, wrong street, no street, pretty useless actually. I am now finding streets that I can see named on the Tom Tom map on screen but don't actually appear in the alphabetical list of street names. Again not much use.

What is the postcode you are trying to find??
Ant22288
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The postcode I was looking for was TR4 9PF, I'm sure this was here though when I first had my Tom Tom... I only tried it because this was the first postcode of a long distance away from me I could remember.

Thanks for your help...
EOS20D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have entered your postcode on my 700 and it comes up as the B3285. Rose in Truro is what it says. Not sure why you can't restore the files. Have you tried with a fresh formated card?
Ant22288
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats what it used to come up with about a week ago. Until for some strange reason it seems to be matching the postcodes to the wrong streets. It will match my home postcode to a street a few streets down fropm my own. It seems as if the map is not syncronised with the postcodes Confused

I tried restoring a backup I took as soon as I got my Tom Tom without success, it wont let me format the sd card with the message "windows explorer cannot complete the request". Trying to maual delete and replace the files has no success either with an error message saying the "file is corrupt or unreadable", this occurs when trying to copy the maps already from the SD card to my computer and also trying to copy the backup from my computer to the SD card.

I'm really unsatisfied with it to be honest, I thought Tom Tom's were ment to be the best in the GPS industry for the home user. Obviously this isn't the case.

The only thing I can think of to why the files wont let me copy them is if there is some form of copyright protection on them?

Thanks again...
TT300_Owner
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is no copy protection. I had the same problem a while back. And when I tried to format the card (even with different command line settings), the TomTom would still not accept the card.

It only worked after I formatted the card on a Windows 98 computer and then copied the files to the card. Sad But it works now Smile Some people have had success formatting the card in their digital camera (if you have one with SD card of course!)

Hope you have some success.
Ant22288
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried formatting it in my digital camera and still no luck, also I tried to format it using a 8 in 1 card reader I had free with something and still no luck. I cant see what the problem could be, could it be a faulty SD card?

Why don't Tom Tom give you an option on the CD that come with it to restore everything, inlcuding maps to the factory default settings... i.e formatting and rebuilding the SD card for the Tom Tom... is there a reason for this, the only option we have is to backup/restore settings?
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put your postcode in and I get B3285, Rose (Truro)

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
Ant22288
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thats what mine used to say but now it would only find TR494JPR which doesn't even look like a proper postcode to me, the road name is "Unamed road".

I have just got back from Comet, they told me to ring the Tom Tom helpline to check that I wasn't doing it wrong because Tom Tom's can take a bit of getting used to, unfortunately for them though this wasn't the case as strangely I knew how to go to Navigate to, postcode... Laughing Out Loud Smile

After ringing the Tom Tom helpline, I went back to Comet who then in front of me rung the helpline? Why could'nt they have done this orignally? Who then told me I needed to update the application...I might of needed an update but I don't how needing an update would cause it to lose random postcodes literally over night.

Anyway, eventually they give me a refund and now I'm undecided on whether to get a TT300 or a TT1?
berkeley384
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT1 Mate

Has a better screen , GPS sensor and Processor :D

and at most places at the mo theres very little price difference
Ant22288
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any difference regarding features with the TT1? Such as POI, Safety Cameras...etc?
Ant22288
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm new to this and don't know how to add to my posts...or even if you can. Confused

All I wanted to add was does anyone know where the cheapest place to get a TT1 is, wernt PC World doing them for £219 at some piont?
berkeley384
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this threadfor TT1 prices .....

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=32388

Cant help anymore with the TT300 V's TT1 - only to say that the 1 is reported to be a better device, I have the Full speed zoned safety cameras POI on mine with a self built data.chk sound file -

I wouldnt swap it for a 300 shall we say
gazza1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TTone operates in exactly the same way as the TT300. You can get the TTone plus a free case for £259 from pcworld.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1782564665.1136304867@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdcaddgjfikfejcflgceggdhhmdfho.0&page=GenericEditorial&genericeditorial=Handhelds_homepage&category_oid=-24850&fm=3&sm=1&tm=undefined

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: