Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed accuracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed accuracy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked my speed using a stop watch and the marker posts on the motorway. The speedo always overreads. If you have a trip computer in the car this is often much more accurate, zero it, drive at a steady speed and see the difference between its average speed and the speedo's reading! Another one is the roadside readings you see in some areas, "Your Speed XXmph", always less than the reading on your speedo.

Mike
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike_d wrote:
I've checked my speed using a stop watch and the marker posts on the motorway. The speedo always overreads. If you have a trip computer in the car this is often much more accurate, zero it, drive at a steady speed and see the difference between its average speed and the speedo's reading! Another one is the roadside readings you see in some areas, "Your Speed XXmph", always less than the reading on your speedo.

Mike

I don't have a trip computer. How far is it between the 2 white boxes?
stevex9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

This is amazing.All these different answers, including what the police do too.

Could i just set the record straight - cop cars don't have to have, nor do they have their speedos/radar checked or calibrated everyday and they cannot restrict you driving if your tyres are over inflated.

There are certain times when they check their speedos and radar and they can place a prohibition order on your car for certain reasons.

Be careful not to take too many of the above answers as gospel...You may get arrested and thrown in jail for life for having a dirty windscreen...heaven forbid..(sorry people - only JOKING..)

Cheers

(A real plod)

stevex9
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or for stopping on the hard shoulder of the m6 to ask directions Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

seriously the calibrated speedo of traffic does have to be checked though not everyday I think its similar rules as us with tachgragh which have to be check at 2 and 6 year intervals though the check periods may be shorter for police cars that are like to be doing speed enforcemt the same is for radar gun the calibration I believe and may not be gosspel is the if a radar check is setup then it calibration of the gun must be checked with a poilce veihcle that has a calibrated speedo and car reg number mark in hand books

steve if I'm wrong anywhere here please correct me
slighty off topic

back on topic local to us we have rader speed sign that flags up the speed of the approching car my car shows 35 when the gps and sign shows 30
the thing to bear in mind is the gps on flat road at a steady speed gps is accuturate to 0.01 mph going up or down hill or turn corners will reduce the accueacy the trick is not to speed at the end of the day
Wink

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much I can't found out using google but I'm really struggling to find out what the distance is between the 2 white squares on the road used by traffic cops. Please someone tell me so I can use these to check the accuracy of my speedo.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way to do it is to get the speedo calibrated by a vosa approved station

device Lumia 950 xl
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevex9 wrote:
Could i just set the record straight - cop cars don't have to have, nor do they have their speedos/radar checked or calibrated everyday

(A real plod)

Really? I have seen transcripts of many court cases where they claim that they verify the accuracy of their speedos at the start and end of every shift.

Do you work in traffic or some other part of the Police farce?
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevex9 wrote:

Could i just set the record straight - cop cars don't have to have, nor do they have their speedos/radar checked or calibrated everyday

.(sorry people - only JOKING..)

Cheers

(A real plod)

stevex9

I found this,

"police speedometers are calibrated on a rolling road at regular intervals to ensure that they are accurate. Each car will have its own logbook and an entry will be made each time a calibration test is performed (usually at the police's own workshops). "

Taken from HERE,

http://www.stvincent.ac.uk/Resources/Physics/Speed/road/measuring.html

And another good read from HERE,

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/webbsite/law.html

Have a read under the heading "Rules of Detection"
stevex9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again.

Ok, let me try to answer a few of the above.

Firstly - yes i am a cop and traffic cop, an approved driving instructor (ADi),i train people to be ADI's, i am an Advanced police driving instructor and a RoSPA driving examiner, most of this for the last 17 years.

The main thing here is the speeding element. DON'T do it and you won't have a problem.

In relation to what vehicle manufacturers do, i cannot say. In relation to what the police do i can say. I can only speak here from my own experience within my own force and the policies they implement.

A lot, but not all police vehicles are calibrated and have a certificate number displayed on the speedo. This is done by a recognised body and can be used as evidence in court.

Other vehicles that do not have this may not be as accurate. therefore if you are reported for speeding by a vehicle without a calibrated speedo then it would only be on the estimation of the officer and the speedo reading would be used as a back up.

In relation to the white squares on the road surface, i think you will find that these are placed here by the local Highways Authority for reasons unknown. You can check with them.

In certain locations there are 1 mile markers placed on the road. Sometimes stripes on pamposts or on the central reservation on a dual carriageway. These are tested and set at 1 mile.
What you need to do is get a stop watch and travel between the 2 posts at 60mph, start the watch at the first one and stop it at the second.Your reading should be one minute.

Police vehicles can do this at the start and finish of their shift or as soon as practicable after reporting somebody for speeding. The stop watch used by police is also calibrated - so be mindful of the one you use.

These readings may also be used in evidence.

In relation to a speed gun, or static speed camera, the normal practice is for a vehicle with a calibrated speedo to drive through the beam at 30mph to check its accuracy.

I hope some of this has helped in answering your comments.

Cheers

Stevex9
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevex9 wrote:

In relation to a speed gun, or static speed camera, the normal practice is for a vehicle with a calibrated speedo to drive through the beam at 30mph to check its accuracy.

How would that check the callibration of a fixed camera? It wouldn't trigger it, would it?
stevex9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sorry Andy, i put static, i meant mobile, i.e the ones that pop up all over the place like in the back of a van..

I believe the static ones are calibrated seperately.

Cheers

Stevex9
stevex9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi (Delboy)

I have checked the two links you mention and i have to say that neither appear to be official websites of any kind. They seem to be 'fansites' or 'homemade' websites.

They do not refer to any reputable body to support what they say. I did not read them in full, but what i did read, especially on the second one show a number of inaccuracies or phrases that are not worded correctly.

It would be interesting to know if West Mids Police have authorised the use of teir Logo on the website. It is unusual for the police to associate themselves with things like this.

I think you have done exactly the right thing by trying to evidence your views, but i also think, unfortunately, you have ended up on sites that are not that accurate.

These forums are good fun aren't they...Laughing Out Loud.

Cheers

Stevex9
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thansks for putting that up steve interseting stuff

device Lumia 950 xl
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near to me theres one of those stupid signs wich reports your speed and shows a smiley face if your under the limit.

Thats seems to be spot on with what my TomTom displays.

Also some cameras dont have radars Truevelos for example use the good old speed distance time formular.

Theres two sensors in the road before the white lines and they time how long between one press and the other and then calculate your speed.
tangiers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevex9 wrote:

In relation to the white squares on the road surface, i think you will find that these are placed here by the local Highways Authority for reasons unknown. You can check with them.

I'm pretty sure (not 100% though Smile ) that the white squares painted on the road are nothing to do with speed or speeding - they are used by mapping agencies such as the OS to align neighbouring aerial photographs with each other - what you do is ensure that the white squares are in the overlap region between each neighbouring shot. Last time I checked you will note that ther are always two sets of two squares a short distance apart. The mapping agency simply aligns the 4 'dots' when processing the photos.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: