Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
MikeDean2 - look at Darrens response at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40686

Umm... yes? Sorry, I dont mean to cause any offence here.... but exactly which of my questions does that thread answer?!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken - should have been clearer....

Your question was -

Quote:
Despite all the reading Ive done today, I cant find any post stating just what the charge is for.
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see. Creating and maintaining a database - okay, of course that takes work. But six figures worth of work? And thats a conservative estimate!!! Whats that, half a dozen full time databasers?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedean2 wrote:
To not give a reason simply adds fuel to those who accuse PGPSW of blatant profiteering.

The charge is to cover the work we do in collating, compiling and publishing the database. We are working on a number of projects to improve the data quality and simplify alerting, reporting etc. Additionally it supports the site as a whole and funds the GPS Shows we hold. If after all that we make a profit then great, we're not a charity and I fail to see why making a profit is to be frowned upon!
Quote:
Like many others in this thread, Ive not had any mail from you guys about 'free membership' (or about the charge being levied at all). Wouldnt it have been ethical for the team to have sent a blanket mail to all members letting them know that the database would soon no longer be available free? And notwithstanding that, why like others didnt I get a mail acknowledging my reports credit toward membership?

We didn't send a blanket email because this is against our NO Spam Policy, only those regiostered for our Newsletter get email from us as they have authorised us to contact them. Regular visitors would have seen the news items and lengthy forum debates.

We did send out a number of invites to those users who our records revealed were entitled to free membership but there were some where the emails either didn't arrive, were old dormant addresses or for whom we did not have valid records. If you believe you qualify then email me, I'll check and if you do I'll upgrade you ASAP.
Quote:

Finally, and a bit OT for this thread, I'd like to ask a mod or team member to dig out the email address associated with my former username - from this username my old one should be obvious!. I requested a new password but it hasnt arrived in my inbox, leading me to think I might have signed up for my original account via a different email addy. If someone can tell me what that is, I can log back into that old address and retreive my new password!

No account with the former username found?
theminor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
If after all that we make a profit then great, we're not a charity and I fail to see why making a profit is to be frowned upon!

No of course not. I wasnt suggesting that there should be no reward element - I make a few quid over and above hosting and domain costs from my own 'hobby' sites, nobody complains about that. Its the level of profit that I reckon has probably inflamed peeps - unless Im very much mistaken that could easily be a healthy six figure number.

Darren wrote:
We did send out a number of invites to those users who our records revealed were entitled to free membership but there were some where the emails either didn't arrive, were old dormant addresses or for whom we did not have valid records. If you believe you qualify then email me, I'll check and if you do I'll upgrade you ASAP.

No account with the former username found?

No... I found my old username by searching posts and it wasnt what I thought it was Embarassed . I've mailed last night with details and I'll await response. Unfortunately I wont receive it now for ten days - I logged on yesterday to get the new database because I leave tonight for a ten day classic car tour in France and I wont have internet connection till I get home. I appreciate that you need to check things but that means I wont get the protection I need at the time Im most vulnerable, my fault for not logging on and doing this a week ago I guess.
theminor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, and totally OT, I noticed the postal address for PGPSW Ltd and got a shock - I didnt know anyone else even knew of Thundersley! I had a house on Thundersley Common many moons back and hit my first 180 in the boozer in the village, cant remember what its called now, used to do most of my imbibing in the Tarpots down the hill Wink {reminiscent mode off}
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theminor wrote:
I had a house on Thundersley Common many moons back and hit my first 180 in the boozer in the village, cant remember what its called now

Possibly the Woodmans or, The White Hart (Closest to the Common), The Cutley Lynch, or the Zach Wilshire. (Not that I drink of course Rolling Eyes )
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theminor wrote:
No... I found my old username by searching posts and it wasnt what I thought it was Embarassed . I've mailed last night with details and I'll await response. Unfortunately I wont receive it now for ten days - I logged on yesterday to get the new database because I leave tonight for a ten day classic car tour in France and I wont have internet connection till I get home. I appreciate that you need to check things but that means I wont get the protection I need at the time Im most vulnerable, my fault for not logging on and doing this a week ago I guess.

If you can email me today I'll sort you out if it's not too late?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theminor wrote:
I wont get the protection I need at the time Im most vulnerable

If it's too late to sort it out before you go isn't it worth £2 to download the database and get protection for the ten days you need it most (20p a day) and sort out the free lifetime membership when you get back?
Samsung Galaxy S21
AndreasC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now when we pay for this service, is it possible to include scandinavia into the database?
theminor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
theminor wrote:

If you can email me today I'll sort you out if it's not too late?

I did mail, last night. to the dataaalreadysubmitted address. Not got it?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't receive that email, that goes to the account admin. If you email me ( darren AT pocketgpsworld.com ) I'll sort you out with a database.
acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a bit late but...

i don't care how much money you all make. If it is 'a six figure sum' then well done chaps!

The site is obviously worth it and why shouldn't you reap the rewards. Keep up the good work and and enjoy profits of your labour.

acmp
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acmp wrote:
Maybe a bit late but...

i don't care how much money you all make. If it is 'a six figure sum' then well done chaps!

The site is obviously worth it and why shouldn't you reap the rewards. Keep up the good work and and enjoy profits of your labour.

acmp

Clap Couldn't agree more! :D
Samsung Galaxy S21
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
acmp wrote:
Maybe a bit late but...

acmp

Couldn't agree more!

Same here.

After all the biggest 6 figure sum i can think of is £50 + £49 = £99. So it's not that much then is it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 41 of 44

Jump to: