Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
engineer247
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering will the other poi`s on this site be checked too

i travel all over the uk and use many poi`s off this site and some of them are not all named some are numbers and some say warner poi what use is that to me

plus with the camera database it makes me laugh on a road round the corner from my workplace it says there are 3 fixed cameras on it which there has never been or will be and when someone adds the sign for a camera where there isnt one

oh and yesterday on the m42 near the nec junction the overhead cameras which there must be about 10 now only 5 are coming up
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

engineer247 wrote:

i travel all over the uk and use many poi`s off this site and some of them are not all named some are numbers and some say warner poi what use is that to me

Question Question Question

Quote:

plus with the camera database it makes me laugh on a road round the corner from my workplace it says there are 3 fixed cameras on it which there has never been or will be and when someone adds the sign for a camera where there isnt one

oh and yesterday on the m42 near the nec junction the overhead cameras which there must be about 10 now only 5 are coming up

So have you reported the inaccuracies?
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not referring to anybody specifically on this forum, what really annoys me is those 'leechers' who complain about the inaccuracies, but do nothing about correcting them for the benefit of other users. And they're probably the first ones to complain about the database going commercial. Let's face it, if they'd bothered to report the inaccuracies, they would be gettting the database for free, and would have less to complain about.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
While I'm not referring to anybody specifically on this forum, what really annoys me is those 'leechers' who complain about the inaccuracies, but do nothing about correcting them for the benefit of other users. And they're probably the first ones to complain about the database going commercial. Let's face it, if they'd bothered to report the inaccuracies, they would be gettting the database for free, and would have less to complain about.
Those leechers are now called customers. The cooperative venture was a great idea and I hope someone else starts it up again after this company has seized the fruits of that cooperation and now claim it to be their own property.
Tony
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgold wrote:
iankb wrote:
Those leechers are now called customers. The cooperative venture was a great idea and I hope someone else starts it up again after this company has seized the fruits of that cooperation and now claim it to be their own property.
Tony

The most incisive and eloquent post I've read on this - kudos, Tony.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgold wrote:
Those leechers are now called customers.

And so they should be, if they intentionally hold back known errors from the rest of the community.

Quote:
The cooperative venture was a great idea ...

Can't disagree with that. My comments were aimed at the non-cooperative users. Not those who contributed, or found no errors to report.

I can understand people saying that reporting the errors was too much effort for them (people vary in their efforts towards altruism) but, in that case, they have to be prepared to to pay for it.

As to whether you take offence from my remarks, it should be based upon which category you see yourself fitting into.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: database is flawed Reply with quote

daveey wrote:
the pocket GPS database is ok if you want a sub standard level of protection, it fails to compete with the accuracy and daily frequency of updates that a professional organisdation such as origin B2 and roadangel supply for £50.00 per year.

Oddly enough, the only person that I know that has been caught by an unposted camera was using a commercial database. I don't know which database he used, and I wouldn't quote the accuracy based upon a single instance.

I've made five corrections to this forum's database, but none of them were actually missing; a GATSO and a mobile swapped over, and three speeds missing. I should imagine a lot of corrections to this database were position adjustments, where the original report was from memory. It can be difficult to stop by a new camera to record it's position if you weren't expecting it, and only a few systems allow instant recording with a single button press, and even fewer to perform automatic synchronisation with a server.

I can understand the latter systems have the potential to be more accurate, so long as they have a large number of users. However, the growth in GPS navigation systems is likely to reduce the number of dedicated camera-only systems, and therefore reduce their chance of keeping up-to-date.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
MattW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Download format for new commercial database? Reply with quote

When the new charging model starts, will the database still be available (via subscription) for those units which only support csv (like my i3), or will it only be available via POISync (i.e not my i3)?

Matt
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, there will be even more device-specific versions available - if required.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
TROOP3R
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam new to sat nav but i cant belive so many peeps moaning about the price of speed cam locations iam on the road 9 - 12 hrs a day i can go anywhere so its to my advantage to know where the cams are at the end of the day its better paying for a good service then givin the cops £60 pund for their x-mas party aint it small price to pay when your on 9 points me tinks Wink
aje9999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: First Upload Date Reply with quote

Hi,

Anyone know how to check for the date you sent your first camera position upload to the Dbase ?

Mine was around December but want to check as the cut off for free future subsciption is Dec 29th.

Adrian
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aje9999 wrote:
Anyone know how to check for the date you sent your first camera position upload to the Dbase ?

If you sent it via email then you should have a record of it in your email application. I use the POI Capture submission page, however every time I submit an update I save a copy of the PocketGPSCameras.ov2 file (and rename it to include the data of submission) on my PC, e.g.:
PocketGPScameras_2006_01_25.ov2

aje9999 wrote:
Mine was around December but want to check as the cut off for free future subsciption is Dec 29th. .

Don’t worry, as long as you submitted it before 1st January 2006, you’ll be entitled to lifetime free membership.

Darren wrote:
The offer of Free lifetime membership was extended to all those who had contributed prior to 1st january 2006.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
aje9999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help

Unfortunateley I used the POI Capture submission page also but didnt rename my upload with the date, so I guess I`ll just have to wait and see.

Adrian
gringo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: donation speed careras Reply with quote

well i may be just thick but i down loaded speed carera data base and paid a donation of £5 i dont mind paying for somthing but have i wasted £5 IF I NOW HAVE TO PAY £19
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

If you sent it via email then you should have a record of it in your email application.

Regards,

Not everybody saves their emails .

What is the proof They have that they sent in a camera location.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 28 of 44

Jump to: