Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something very odd going on here!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the time is known to be incorrect (relative to UK time at the current date), all posts are logged against the clock so they are a known point in time (the time zone is not relevent, a bit like travel on a plane), the last "marathon thread" on this topic went down a similar line of mentioning the time, it is of no relevance to the actual topic being discussed - Mike
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about Darrens initial post about the subscription. It states specifically STATIC cameras as the prerequisite for free subscription. What happens with mobile cameras?

Regards

Dave
Barsnake
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
I have a question about Darrens initial post about the subscription. It states specifically STATIC cameras as the prerequisite for free subscription. What happens with mobile cameras?

I Also Thought About That And The Penny Dropped After A Minute
It Would Be Open Season For Update's With Fake One's Being Updated Making The Database Very Inaccreate, Least The Static One's Can And Will Be Verified
CoPilot Versions
No Room Left On The Daskboard!
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So taking that to it's logical conclusion, who will send mobile camera information in if they are not going to get anything for it now it is paid for? The database has mobile info' in it now so if it doesn't get updated it will become innacurate. Chicken & Egg situation I guess

Dave.
Barsnake
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
Who will send mobile camera information in if they are not going to get anything for it now it is paid for?

Me For One

Sorry Barsnake
CoPilot Versions
No Room Left On The Daskboard!
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barsnake wrote:
Ako wrote:

I Also Thought About That And The Penny Dropped After A Minute
It Would Be Open Season For Update's With Fake One's Being Updated Making The Database Very Inaccreate, Least The Static One's Can And Will Be Verified

Possibly like the two additions to the M18 near jucntion 4 I pass regularly, both roadside ramps have been there as long as I can remember, never seen a cop car on them in the last 10 years, now they show up in this months database? Not suggesting they are fake as they are physical features but how can these be reliably varified.
bbbill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo12002 wrote:
As a newbie, Im back in the debate again, and Im just about to order my sat nav via a link on this site.

I have looked at the link on E Bay myself and have to say that not everyone can be trusted on E Bay. Secondly I would be concered that the guys on here Darren and the members have collected the data to write the database to find that it may indeed be sold on E Bay.

Forgive me as I dont know all the in's and out's of this, but I was thinking of the Road Angel Nav syste, which charges £49 pounds a year for updating speed camers, I also looked at the AA Natsav system as darren thoought I should with a view to deciding which system I would go for they charge £70 plus per year, so is £2 a download or £19 for a yesr not a good deal??

From what I have been able to look at it is, and maybe having some form of membership will stop others making a profit from , your work?

philip

hi , I was going to buy road angel sat nav system , but was persuaded not to by the retailer, he said road angel were having problems with them and had to replace all the chips on the ones they had in stock. Not yet proven as a sat nav /

I ended up with a tom tom 700 which seems ok, although the supplied speed cam locations, doesnt seem to be up to the mark, and hence the reason I am on this web site despite the 6 months free updates offered by tom tom.

rgds
bill
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, please, don't make this site into a two tier, members non members.
It would be something like "us and them" with the risk of splitting this great comunity!!!!
If you really have a need to charge a fee, and I can appreciate the reason behind it, why not make it just members only. The reason for this would be that every member is able to DL any software or camera DB but this would be the benefit of a membership and not if you " need it " you got to pay for it attitude.
daveey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a origin B2, as i had enough of this debate

I think there will have been false cameras inserted to gain celebrity status and the lifetime membership that goes with it, and i feel also that people will no longer store new cameras as its no longer a community of individuals joining together to beat the speed cops anymore, its now a commercial product.

The site is great, think they should get rid of the speed cams completely, or make it a members only site

my 2p thanks

Idea
bbbill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveey wrote:
I think there will have been false cameras inserted to gain celebrity status and the lifetime membership that goes with it, and i feel also that people will no longer store new cameras as its no longer a community of individuals joining together to beat the speed cops anymore, its now a commercial product.

:

funny that, I went to southend yesterday evening , everything that looks like a speed cam, may be related to a speed cam, or have a sign that could say speed cam on it has an alert..

I fear for someone who is disgruntled, it will be easy for someone to mess with the system..

bill
BunnyBallerina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satellite wrote:
Please, please, don't make this site into a two tier, members non members.
It would be something like "us and them" with the risk of splitting this great comunity!!!!

That's what is planned. An exclusive "inner circle" that gets it all for free and us plebs that have to pay.

By all means reward contributors / validators - but keep a level playing field.

The database still has a significant number of errors. Come on PGPS get some people on your side to validate the data.

Is the "inner circle" going to do this? I don't think so. Otherwise it would all correct by now.

And anyway what incentive do some have to post / validate now?

Either charge everyone the same or reward everyone the same.

You could make your money by charging those that use the database commercially (stores that load it on GPS units thus increasing perceived value of unit - or companies that get one copy and load it on all their reps' cars)

(Before anyone gripes, I have submitted / validated data in the past when I travelled a lot - but all from disposable email addresses - and no I cannot prove this)
Grumpy_Old_Man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid I do not have time to read all of the information that surrounds this debate, but there is one issue/question I would like to raise, assuming that it has not already been done by someone else.

I am fairly new to all of this, but from the research I previously did on the web, it seems that the best camera database around is currently provided by PocketGPSWorld. I can understand why a number of long standing members have been put out by the recently proposed charges, but my personal priority (perhaps somewhat selfishly) is that if I am going to have to pay for this in future, I want to be certain that the database remains to be the best one available.

Some people have been suggesting that PocketGPSWorld stand to make a lot of money out of the new pricing model. I certainly think that it is right and proper that individuals who have contributed towards to the camera position data in the past should be offered free lifetime membership to the database. However, I do not believe that PocketGPSWorld are providing anywhere near enough incentive to ensure that people will continue contribute new or removed camera positions in future. I am basing this statement on my understanding that an individual will receive one free month's subscription for being the first to report a new or removed static camera, once the information has been verified. If I have misunderstood, or the situation has changed since I first read about it, please feel free to correct me.

Up until now, the database has been provided free to everyone (whilst inviting donations). Taking that into account, surely PocketGPSWorld could be a little more generous and offer free lifetime membership to any individual who is the first to provide a new or removed camera position in the future. This should provide a much stronger incentive for people to continue to contribute camera position information. If the number of people using the PocketGPSWorld database is as large as suggested, the comparative number of people who will be lucky enough to be the first to report a legitimate camera addition or removal will be very small. It will consequently cost PocketGPSWorld very little to offer this prize; particularly as they currently claim the accuracy of their database to be in excess of 95% and the rate of introduction of new cameras is, alledgedly, going to decrease.

As I understand it, the proposed charges are designed to cover the cost of maintenance and verification of the data that the members submit. If people are no longer inclined to continue to submit camera position data (and there is plenty of evidence of that around in various forums), then the quality of the database will plummet rapidly, and PocketGPSWorld will not have a database worth selling.

How about it PocketGPSWorld?
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite obvious that no matter what everyone is saying, you are going to charge for the Camera Database and judging by the lack of responses coming from the team your minds are not going to be changed. As I see it you are going from being an amatuer database to a proffesional database by virture of the charge, will you then be governed by consumer law in that you will be obliged to ensure that your database is 100% accurate.
bbbill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaki wrote:
judging by the lack of responses coming from the team your minds are not going to be changed. .

yup agreed, and no reply to my donation of a tenner (in good faith ) , how will that be taken into account, or was I just mugged..

rgds

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 20 of 44

Jump to: