Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI database question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI database question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mutleyeng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: POI database question Reply with quote

Hi all,
I’m a new owner of a tomtom go 300: with v5.41 firware. I am using a laptop running XP home OS.
I’ve figured out how to download other peoples databases, but I am having a great deal of trouble working out how to create my own POI database.
So far I have tried a couple of downloads I found through various websites, but just cant get it to work.
First thing I tried was dumpov2 and makeov2 (which I think is tomtom software, although dosnt seem to be available from their site anymore)
With this I can create a category and icon which appears in the tomtoms poi list, but there are never any actual points read. The method I use is to create a txt document with long,lat and name. I then open the file with the dumpov2 program, and then I open the resulting file with the makeov2 program…then I transfer both the resulting files to the ttg. For whatever reason I keep getting told that “0 files were read”.
Clearly im doing summut wrong, but I cant figure out what.
I also tried a program called POI converter, but I don’t understand head nor tail of that one.
Can anyone point me to an idiots guide to how to create a database

Thanks for reading.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The text file needs to be in the Format: long, lat,"name text" for each line.

You need the commas and the speech marks.

In Windows Explorer you then drag the text file to Makeov2.exe to make the .ov2 and .bmp files. The Dumpov2.exe file is there to create a text file from a .ov2 file.

Have a read of this thread.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mutleyeng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for help,
I think im formatting the data fine, having looked at it again im not sure notepad is saving as the right file type...it just saves as a text file, but isnt recognised as a .asc file...cant see how i can save it as anything other than a .txt file.
Bit confussed still im affraid.
ive now downloaded winov2 and tried that...but due to the above, it just informs me the file type isnt recognised
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Notepad, when you come to save the file, us the 'Save as' option, change the option in the bottom dropdown menu (Save as type) from Text Documents (.txt)) to All Files. You will then be able to save your file as example.asc.
mutleyeng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks tim,
got that now...still havnt cracked it yet as now when i run it wino2 it tells me it hasnt read longitude.
ive copied an example from another thread :

-2.098369, 57.148931, "Aberdeen (Upperkirkgate)"
-2.105066, 57.144560, "Aberdeen (Union Street)"

and when i run it comes up with an "error reading longitude in file"

still, im gettin close...i'll give it a wurl with osgr see if that has any more luck
mutleyeng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well now its working with the example i posted before, as hopefully its sussed...dont know why it wasnt before.....thanks guys.
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Making your own POI's Reply with quote

M-Y, depending on what, and how, you want to do it, I find it easier to make your own POI's solely on the TTGO rather than compile it in notepad, or whatever, on a PC and then convert with make0v2 or whatever and then load it onto TTGO.

Just using TTGO, you can make, and name, a new category and select a POI icon from the Tomtom supplied list.

Using the Tomtom map, select the location of the POI, and then add that location, as a POI, into your newly made POI category.

If you wish to have a custom bmp icon then you'll need to plug your GO into the PC, delete the tomtom bmp file and replace it (same name as the category) with your own custom bmp file from your PC.

I tried all this with a 'dummy' POI category called 'mystuff' and various icons etc; seemed to work fine. Of course you need to know the 'map location' rather than lat. long co-ords. as you can't input co-ords straight into Tomtom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: