Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Release downloadable maps for TTN2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Release downloadable maps for TTN2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Release downloadable maps for TTN2 Reply with quote

August 4, 2003 Amsterdam - TomTom BV, the leading provider of personal navigation systems, today announces the launch of Maps of TomTom Navigator. Now users of TomTom Navigator 2 can instantly download maps from a range of Europe's favourite holiday destinations via the TomTom web site. Simply select the town or region you wish to purchase - holiday driving has never been so easy.

Maps of TomTom Navigator make it simple to download the maps you need at an affordable price. The process is quick and easy because there is no need to download large files. The compact sizes of Maps of TomTom Navigator make them a perfect accessory on any holiday adventure.

As in TomTom Navigator, you have information on the location of thousands of hotels restaurants and other points of interest to make your journey more enjoyable.

Maps of TomTom Navigator are available for download right now from www.tomtom.com. Holiday destinations include Bavaria, Brittany, Dutch Coast, French Riviera, Scotland and the Lake District, South West Coast of France, South West Coast of Spain and Portugal, Spanish Riviera, Tuscany and the Vienna region. Maps of popular European cities include Berlin, Copenhagen, London, Paris, Rome and Stockholm.

Maps of TomTom Navigator are available to download for US$ 19.99 (equivalent £12.50) per city and US$ 39.99 (equivalent £25.00) per region. Payment for the mail order store is only possible in US dollars.

For more information visit TomTom s website
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Release downloadable maps for TTN2 Reply with quote

Anybody know if the maps are the same as the ones on the CD? I'm off to the Algarve in November and I'd like a map with a bit more detail (like actually showing the road to/from the airport at Faro).
longwori
Regular Visitor

Anyone know if they are likely to extend this to the USA? I am off to California in early September and would definately buy California if it became available.
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

That's interesting. If they could supply everywhere at this size, automatically switch between installed maps, and provide a subscription service to update on connection, I'd be whistling dixie...
ajmaggs
Occasional Visitor

I've emailed TomTom about extending this idea to the USA map set. I'm sure that it would be popular, and it would only need a few of the areas - Florida, Southern California, Nevada, New England - to be made available. I know I'd pay for a map set of Florida for my next trip there in October.

I'll post a reply from TomTom if/when I get one.....
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

Any idea if these maps are upto date or just smaller versions of whats on the maps of euro set.

I'm off to france in a week or so so the maps of the med coast of france would appeal if they are more upto date than those on the euro set.

Cheers

Ian
Dave
Frequent Visitor

The information I have is that they are the same, but include holiday destinations and POI's, so you don't have to necessarily purchase a complete country map say if you're travelling to Barcelona.
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 05 August 2003

The information I have is that they are the same, but include holiday destinations and POI's, so you don't have to necessarily purchase a complete country map say if you're travelling to Barcelona.

So there's no point in my buying the Iberian maps. If they include tourist POIs for the Algarve 90% of them would be unreachable because Navgator doesn't know about any of the roads in the area.
nicknick
Regular Visitor

I must say the one thing it has done is solicit my first ever EMail from TomTom (after registering both TTN1 and TTN2), and then it is an advert for these maps (which do seem a bit expensive)

Cessquill
Regular Visitor

Yeah, I got an email from them too. I hope they use it to inform of updates, and not to try and sell me stuff.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I've been talking with TomTom over recent weeks and months, and the new holiday maps really I believe is a testing the toe in the water to see if widespread country maps would be welcomed.
Sneaky
Occasional Visitor

I'm due to go to french riviera next week and thought their maps would be ideal as didn't want to buy all of Europe. Paid up and got confirmatory e-mail but their download link doesn't work despite them in theory giving me a fix. They claimed (via Handango) to be trying to solve it but no joy. To my surprise I got a reply to my e-mail from TomTom within 24 hours-but no maps!

They have refunded my money......
Sneaky
Occasional Visitor

Very intense tech support from Handango and TomTom encouraging me to try again after various fixes, but I see it is now impossible to buy the maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: