Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Slim 236 - Do I need updated firmware?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Slim 236 - Do I need updated firmware?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: GPS Slim 236 - Do I need updated firmware? Reply with quote

I have a 236 with serial number 52802*** and my father has one with serial number 53300***.

Is it possible to find out what firmware these are on and if this is worth updating?

Neither of us own the cable but I'd buy one if updating was important.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use SiRFDemo on a (bluetooth enabled) PC or APLSirf on the PPC to switch the receiver into SiRF mode and read the firmware version. (Don't forget to switch it back to NMEA!)

If yo haven't experienced any issues since you have the receiver you will not need to upgrade. (I know, this was a fruitless statement since you want to upgrade anyhow).

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Retset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that but unfortunately none of our PC's have BT and we don't own PDA's - just the smartphones Sad
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
You should both have the new firmware - 3.1.1
Receivers with serial numbers 525*** onwards should have the latest firmware.
Regards,
Julie
Retset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie. Thanks very much indeed for this information.
Mrsash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recieved a CD with this device but no support documnetation as to how it should be used. I installed the usb driver and GPS viewer 236 rather than 236a. I connected the 236 using the usb cable which came in the box and it does not recognise it. Am I supposed to do something to recognise it. Also Sirf DEMO. IS this different to what comes on the CD? What does the GPSviewer Do and What does the Sirf Demo do?
thanks
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The USB cable that is supplied with the unit is for power only, not serial data, so the unit will not be recognised by your PC using that cable.

Can I ask what you are trying to use SiRF Demo or GPS Viewer for? SiRF Demo is a very powerful tool, that if used incorrectly can render your GPS inoperative.

Regards,
Julie
Mrsash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what wither does. I have read through this forum and needed to know how to change some settigs and stuff. Dont know what settings are there to change either. I would like you to enlighten me.
thanks
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I wouldn't go changing any settings unless you know what you are doing!
You can switch the baud rate - which depending on what you are trying to acheive with what software will probably have no effect.
The other setting you could change is to switch the protocol from NMEA to SiRF. This will have an effect on the units functionality & if you get it wrong you could end up with a unit that is non-functional.

I would advise you to leave well alone & simply get on and enjoy your new toy as it is or you may end up with a door stop!

Regards,
Julie
Mrsash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for replying.

1. This unit once connects is excellent but why does it take upto 5 minutes to get a fix?
2. Also I dont have your cable will a normal usb data cable work or does it need special cable from you?
3. Also cant get it to pair with bluetooth. device can be seen by blutooth but cant pair it and then also cant find it with gpsviewer.
4. Also what is this app for? List would help in deciding if I wanna mess with it?
5. Also what version should I install since the cd seems to have a couple, especially 2.36 and 2.36a?

thanks
dannyoneill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i consider myself a bit of a technophile and i would even say dont mess with sirfdemo. www.gpspassion.com has a nice thread on how to reset your device when youve messed and broken it (involves a screwdriver and shorting it out)

To use sirfdemo you need to know the serial commands, there long and complex. Enter the wrong thing and you can no longer talk to the unit meaning open heart reset will be the only option.

But what can you do? You can change the port speed, slow it down if you must, enable WAAS/SBAS, change the parameters and all that but to be honest, why would you want to? It works, it navigates, if you think you can change some setting to make it work better you cant, this little baby already runs as good as it can.

When using sifdemo if you must, just dont click the syncronise protocol option, high chance of ending the life of your little holux.
Mrsash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned it works fine as it is. OK but I have a problems where it takes a while to fix, but after fix works fine. What exactly does enabling WAAS do? and other options I need to know are? Also I read somewhere on this forum about trickle battery to conserve battery etc. but no where in the documentation(it had almost none) does it mention what the default setting is. Unless I connect to the PC I aint gonna know I presume? Also needed to know if a normal usb data cable will work(it seems to have the right connectors... I also need to know whcih GPS viewer to install from post above. So if someone in this forum specially holux guys can give me some answers please.
thanks

1. This unit once connects is excellent but why does it take upto 5 minutes to get a fix?
2. Also I dont have your cable will a normal usb data cable work or does it need special cable from you?
3. Also cant get it to pair with bluetooth. device can be seen by blutooth but cant pair it and then also cant find it with gpsviewer.
4. Also what is this app for? List would help in deciding if I wanna mess with it?
5. Also what version should I install since the cd seems to have a couple, especially 2.36 and 2.36a?
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As your GPS Device is working, you would be well advised to leave it alone. It is obvious from your previous posts that you have little if any knowledge of the internal workings or what the setting will do if changed.
Some of the software mentioned can very quickly render the device useless if the wrong settings are altered, which would require a return to Holux for repair.
You would also render your warranty null and void if it is still under one.
I have a spare GPS Mouse which is a TomTom wired, sometime it can take up to 5 minutes or more to get a fix, other times in under a minute.
Atmospheric conditions, length of time since last used can all have an effect on time to first fix.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
DCreature
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a wealth of information here, step by step information and what option to choose etc as a measure of preventing us creating doorstops out of your units would be appreciated. Holux web site's firmware page is also not functioning properly after clicking on I accept button.

From reading through some thread, did the followings

1 Turned on GPSlim 236.
2 Pair with my PC via Bluetooth.
3 Connected via COM9.
4 Launched SiRFDemo, and set to COM9 at the app startup.
5 In SiRFDemo clicked on Action then Open Data Source.
6 In SiRFDemo clicked on Action then Switch to SiRF Protcol.
8 Now that I am done looking, I want to switch it back to NMEA, default mode for all units isn't it? But I am not totally sure how.
9 I proceeded to click on Action then Switch to NMEA Protocol. But then NMEA Setup window displays itself and I am little worried if I should just click Send or Cancel / Set Defaults, and what Baud rate in that window I should choose.

There are also these values in each dropdown boxes which I don't know if they should be changed.

GGA 1
GLL 0
GSA 1
GSV 5
RMC 1
VTG 0
MSS 0
User8 0
User9 0
User10 0

Use checksums Tick / Untick

More information in the precess would be appreciated!
DCreature
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyoneill wrote:
www.gpspassion.com has a nice thread on how to reset your device when youve messed and broken it (involves a screwdriver and shorting it out)

Are you able to provide the link to the article? I've failed to locate it on the web site.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: