Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nav5 Opinions and South Africa GPS maps wanted
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nav5 Opinions and South Africa GPS maps wanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcducrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Nav5 Opinions and South Africa GPS maps wanted Reply with quote

Hi to all - I'm very new to the world of GPS, so please excuse my ignorance about most topics!

I'm looking to buy a reasonably priced system to convert my PDA, and like the look of the TomTom Nav5 as it is Bluetooth and seems fairly intuitive and well featured. I also want a system that I can use in the car, on a motorcycle/bike or on foot. does anyone have any experience with this system in these environments? How does it compare to equivalent Garmin/Magellan/WHY systems?

Finally - and possibly most importantly - I am going to South Africa semi-permanently in the near future, and want a system I can use there, but it seems that only Garmin and Magellan have maps covering the country. Does anyone know of South Africa maps for TomTom systems? I note on Garmin's website that there seem to be third party or generic suppliers of map software, is this the case? Some of these come on CD, but presumably a CD map can be downloaded to SD, though I note on Garmin that this requires an unlock code - is this the case with TomTom?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For South Africa your only realistic option is

http://www.handymap.co.za/Default.aspx?tabid=80

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: