Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Suggestion for alternate software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion for alternate software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
number528
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Suggestion for alternate software? Reply with quote

I have been using PMN for a while and am happy with it, but it is getting a little long in the tooth, especially since the map database has not been updated for about a year and Space Machine doesn't seem to have a presence anywhere anymore.

Can I get some suggestions about some of the alternatives? I have to travel as part of my job and have come to count on my GPS. I don't particularly want to spend ~$500 on one of the new dedicated units (e.g. Garmin 360), but would like a decent Pocket PC program that is accurate, quick and has good support in the sense of frequent map updates.

Which programs do you like/dislike?
mkss55442
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Mapopolis? The program has excellent support with a very active forum on gpspassion.com.
number528
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm on my way to the forum and web site.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you would use the same phrase I did in my e-mail to them:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:52 AM
To: k98mauser@gmail.com
Subject: RE: [AT-051025.1498] Pocketmap Navigator 3R12...updates?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 1:04 AM
To: support@pocketmap.com
Subject: [AT-051025.1498] Pocketmap Navigator 3R12...updates?

> Silly question, are there ever going to be any updates? The
> map data is getting rather long in the tooth, and many users
> have submitted bug reports and wishlists for the application.
> So, what's happening at SpaceMachine?

Thank you for your email. We apologize if we have not announced anything for a while.
All of us at Space Machine have been working hard to create the next Navigator. We just can't announce anything yet at the moment.

Many thanks for your support.
number528
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the same message as you to them about two months ago and got the exact same reply. I am really doubting that there will ever be an update/revision.
PocketMapUser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestion for alternate software? Reply with quote

I too am frustrated with the lack of map and software updates from Spacemachine on PocketMap. They DO have a new version of their software out but it is ONLY included in their new stand-alone GPS unit. I called a while back and talked to the lady with the great British accent and she assured me that they are not out of business (she actually chuckled about that) and there would be future updates but for the time being they were so focused on their stand-alone model that it may be a while.

The fact remains though that PocketMap has the best graphics of any of the software I have seen. Compared to Mapopolis the graphics are lighyears ahead with PocketMap. The voices and options are better too.

I agree with the feedback about the long re-route times - it can take FOREVER and I have found myself lost or parked waiting for it to re-route.

However, I recently noticed that I can purchase the TomTom Navigator software for 149.99 and if PocketMap doesn't come out with their new version soon I may be forced to purchase it. TomTom seems to be the gold standard these days but I'd rather buy a $39 update from PocketMap.

I have seen one updated to the PocketMap site recently under the updates section and that is under the current users and application updates section. It now says that a Windows Mobile 5.0 OS software may be released soon. The bummer is that I don't have Windows Mobile 5.0. Hopefully their new updates will included updates for most other PDA models as well.

Time will tell. I just can't imagine using most other software which simply doesn't compare with PocketMap.

-PocketMap User

number528 wrote:
I have been using PMN for a while and am happy with it, but it is getting a little long in the tooth, especially since the map database has not been updated for about a year and Space Machine doesn't seem to have a presence anywhere anymore.

Can I get some suggestions about some of the alternatives? I have to travel as part of my job and have come to count on my GPS. I don't particularly want to spend ~$500 on one of the new dedicated units (e.g. Garmin 360), but would like a decent Pocket PC program that is accurate, quick and has good support in the sense of frequent map updates.

Which programs do you like/dislike?
cgavula
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think SpaceMachine posted the item about WM5 support soon because they're current version (3.12) doesn't run on WM5 and people have been asking for a version that does.

One of the other threads on this site mentions that a new version may be due in December or January.

I'm a big fan of their interface as well and I hope a new version is coming soon!

--Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: