Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP6 routing profiles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP6 routing profiles
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. But no find for the eta line, australian versions dont have london congestion function and all dat files appear to have data in them. Another thing the Australian version doesnt have is a custom poi database manager, REALLY annoying.

Jeff
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Problem solved!!! Reply with quote

I have worked out a fix for this problem, quite simple actually, but shall forward more information shortly. I have just returned from a 1800km round trip and wouldnt give such information the proper attention to such a great forum. I will post my endeavours after a good sleep

Jeff
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: routing profile fix Reply with quote

Firstly, this works with the Austarlian version. This version does not have London congestion options in the routing profile and does not have the ETA = DISTANCE 1mph 60mph problem, however, when you go to set up your own profile, with the different speeds for different types of roads, the speeds will not lock in and the program will set its own weird figures. This fix is obviously for the PPC 6 version.

Firstly you need to have a desktop version setup on a computer or laptop.

1: Go into your desktop version and using the trip planner, go into to options. Within the options, you can set times for when you take breaks and for how long etc. Go into the advanced section, and like the PPC version, you can set up speeds etc for different road types and + and - preferences for what roads you like to use.\

2: set up a profile for the speeds etc, you would like to use for planing trips. Now with the desktop version, I have found these speeds once set, will not be changed by the program. I have only noticed 1 setting change by 1 kph. hardly a problem and this then never changes unless you change it your self. (I have been using the desktop trip planner for some versions now, I have set the following speeds for my driving style, al in kph: 95 for freeways, 90 for divided highways and primary roads, 77 for secodary roads, 50 for local roads). Such settings seem to equal the average kph accoriding to the car trip computer, over a long distance and different types of road speeds. (I am so glad they have put this ability to set speeds in the PPC version now, something I suggested to ALk som versions ago). Once you have set your speeds, OK to advanced setting then OK to trip planner.

3: Now find your folder where Co Pilot is installed and find your country specific folder for data and saves etc.

4: Open up your save folder. Hopefully at the bottom or most recently modified files, you will find two dat files with the profile name you set i.e in mine they are Jeff_ trip and Jeff_stop.

****important stuff****

5: Go to the properties of these two files and change them to read only.

6: Start your Copilot program. In settings, go to routing. Ensure you only have the default advanced setting only, delete any profiles you may have set up. Close the copilot program.

7: Using active synch etc, copy these two files to your PPC Copilot version save folder. Once they are transferred, go back to the properties of these two files in the desktop version and change them back from read only. Unless you do this, you wont be able to change any speeds etc in that profile in the desktop version.

8: Again, start the copilt program on your PPC. Go to the routing option in settings. Select advanced and you should as well as having the default option, now have an profile as you named it on the desktop version, with confirm if using profile when routing option set as pers desktop settings.

9: Choose edit with this new profile. DO NOT DESPAIR, you will see totaly weird speeds set. As well what ever option you set for breaks etc.

****Despite what you see for speed sets, if you plan a trip using the PPC version, or, use a saved trip made on the desktop version, you will find that your trip will be very accurate for the eta. Also, to confirm this fix works, if you load a saved trip on your desktop version (that has been saved using the profile you set up in advanced speed settings etc) run the trip. You will be asked which profile to use, use the profile name you set up and see what distance and eta is given for the desktop version. Having transferred the same saved trip to your PPC, stored in the save folder, select and run this trip. (Make sure you are in planing mode) Because you are using a saved trip, you will not get asked which routing profile to use in the PPC version. Once it has set up the trip, it will show the turn instructions, with the same distance and eta as the desktop trip. Previously, with this problem with routing profiles, such a saved trip used on a PPC version, would show totally different eta's compared to the same trip run on the desktop version.

****REAL IMPORTANT STUFF*****

Using this fix, you will NOT be able to change any speeds in your profile, using the PPC program. This is because the file that is being used is read only (as you set it up on your desktop version). If you need to alter any speeds, YOU HAVE to use the desktop version to make the changes, again changing to read only, before your reload to the PPC version.

I believe, because you are using these two files in the PPC version as read only, the program can't change the speeds, as it does now. I dont know why it shows different speeds in the routing profile of the PPC version, compared to those you set up in the desktop version, BUT it works, the routing profile will give very accurate etas for planned trips ussing PPC or saved trips from the desktop version. It may take some time to find the right speeds to set for the different roads, but for a general rule of thumb, not exceeding speed limits and using different types of road, I find in Austrailia, 90kph a good average to work out how long a trip may take.

Once you are happy with a profile that you set up and adjust, to suit your driving styles etc, you shouldnt have to change the profile with the PPC program. If you need to set up another profile with PPC, thats fine, but you will have the original problem of the speeds being mucked up by the program. The advantage of setting up a profile using this slightly complicated task, is that when you put in a destination using the PPC version, and you run the trip, it will ask you which profile to use. If you use the profile as set up above, I find, you get fairly realistic eta's.

I finished last night a trip of 900k's. Using a saved trip from the desktop, and the above procedure, my eta shown from start to finish only varied by 10 minutes from the actual arrival time, even taking in consideration stops etc. Not too bad in my books!

Hopefully ALK will be able to put a proper patch to fix the original problem, but this procedure and more importantly read only files, stops the program from changing the speeds you set. The only draw back, is you have to use the desktop version to set up the files that, in a read only format, you place and use in the PPC version.

Jeff

[/b]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: