Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V8 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V8 maps
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: V8 maps Reply with quote

please dont think I am stupid but whats a V8 map !!!!

jacjb
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin CitySelect is currently at V7 for the EU except, it would appear, for purchasers of new the i3; this has V(ersion) 8. Version 8 should be out for all other compatible Garmin models in mid-January, I've been told.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had an Email from Garmin today that seems to contradict some of what has been said.

I have copied and pasted it below for your information.

In regard to your email, many the first wave of StreetPilot i3's are made available with Version 7 as Version 8 had not been created. Now Version 8 is available with the newer units such as the i3. Mapping updates are usually released every 12 months around the end of the year. There have been no announcements when/if City Select Europe v.8 will be released and there is no cut-off date announced.

There is usually a month period for the cut-off date, where-by if you purchase within a month of the update being released, you would be entitled to a free update.

We do not even have a rough estimate of when any updates will be released for City Select Europe and will not until such an announcement is published on the Garmin website.
xander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again there seems to be a disparity about updates from v7to v8 - time to call in Watch Dog / Trading Standards!!!!
gazthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander wrote:
- time to call in Watch Dog / Trading Standards!!!!

Why??? how have you been mislead in anyway shape or form - you bought what was described - it is fit for the purpose - you have absolutely no comeback whatsover - if you bought an atlas would you expect the publisher to replace it for you when they bought out a new edtion?? get life and stop Censored!

Stop! No more namecalling of this nature, please. Tim
xander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin have been/are supplying two different versions of the same product at the same time and at the same price... Rant over
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander wrote:
Garmin have been/are supplying two different versions of the same product at the same time and at the same price... Rant over

And?

Practically every manufacturer I can think of has always supplied caveats about product specification may change at any time.

As to the price, that's down to the seller.

As to the difference in either firmware or map versions, how on earth would you suggest they could somehow co-ordinate everything switching over to a new version of maps? They are not in control of how much stock other companies have.

I suppose what they could do is simply ensure that all i3s just have v7 maps, then charge an upgrade price. But they haven't, they've improved their product by including newer versions of the maps, as and when they could.

And people are complaining about that??!!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
they've improved their product by including newer versions of the maps, as and when they could.And people are complaining about that??!!

No people are complaining that it is a v7/v8 lottery when you buy your unit and that is not acceptable.

In the past, Garmin have had a policy of free upgrades for existing units which shipped with old map versions. They will probably do the same with the i3 and this will resolve the 7 vs 8 problem and everyone will be happy.

If Garmin would make official statement on the matter then the problem would disappear.

I do agree that people are a bit to hung up on getting the latest maps though. My v7 maps still have errors which existed since the old v4 maps...
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
they've improved their product by including newer versions of the maps, as and when they could.And people are complaining about that??!!

No people are complaining that it is a v7/v8 lottery when you buy your unit and that is not acceptable.

Why is it not acceptable? What do you expect Garmin to do about it, other than not ship any with v8 maps?

Unacceptable - what tosh. What makes you think it's in any way unacceptable?

Skippy wrote:

In the past, Garmin have had a policy of free upgrades for existing units which shipped with old map versions. They will probably do the same with the i3 and this will resolve the 7 vs 8 problem and everyone will be happy.

If Garmin would make official statement on the matter then the problem would disappear.

What problem? Irrationality?

What demonstrably loss has anybody with v7 maps got, over somebody who's got an i3 with v8 maps?

Has Garmin suddenly cheated people who paid for their i3 on the understanding of what it contained? Has anybody been mislead?

Skippy wrote:

I do agree that people are a bit to hung up on getting the latest maps though. My v7 maps still have errors which existed since the old v4 maps...

Don't get me wrong - my i3 has v7 maps. And at some point, I'd like to think I could have the latest update, and it not cost me anything.

But I paid £199 for my i3 at the time, and was more than happy with what it contained and was capable of, so I fail to see what tangible complaint people have.

Some people have paid considerably less than I did, and whilst that grates, I have no true complaint, there.
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Garmin are perfectly within their rights to role out an upgrade to their maps and that those with v7 (ie me) can have no complaint with that.

I would also agree that, given the above, there is bound to be a period of time where both v7 and v8 units are being sold. In this situation, though, Garmin are very clear that those with v7 are entitled to a free upgrade to v8.

I agree with Skippy, though, that Garmin are causing some of the confusion and frustration because they are still saying that there is no v8 and that anybody who says there is has got it wrong. Clearly v8 (albeit City Navigator rather than City Select) is out in the market because people are buying i3s with it.

I also agree with Skippy that, whilst Garmin are not obligated to upgrade all v7 users to v8, various people have had various commitments from them that this is what they will do.

So - we know that v8 is out there, it would be nice if Garmin could (a) acknowledge that and (b) confirm (or deny) that they will offer free upgrades to all current i3 v7 users.

Then we won't have any more 'discussions' on the subject (until v9 is due, of course) Rolling Eyes
gonor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first I3 i got back in October from PC World in Swindon was a V8. :D
got It replaced yesterday at the same place due to duff power lead and this one is V7. Sad

However, after putting it through the mill today, I must admit that I am hard pushed to see any changes.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Why is it not acceptable? What do you expect Garmin to do about it, other than not ship any with v8 maps?

People think it's not acceptable because the a City Select map upgrade typically costs £80 and when you are spending 150-200 pounds on a Garmin unit then this is a significant portion of the cost.

People want to know if they will be upgraded to the latest map version for free or if they should hunt around and find a unit with v8 maps on it out of the box.

Garmin should clarify the v7/v8 situation by:

1. Admitting that v8 exists
2. Clarifying details of who will get a free upgrade
3. Informing customers of the cut off date for the upgrade

Quote:
What demonstrably loss has anybody with v7 maps got, over somebody who's got an i3 with v8 maps?

v7 has less detailed coverage of Northern Ireland than v8.

Quote:
Some people have paid considerably less than I did, and whilst that grates, I have no true complaint, there.

I agree 100%! I brought a new PC last year for £1000 and I could buy the exact same one now for £500. That's progress for you. You just have to get on with what you have and enjoy it!
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's all this c**p about? I thought it was clear cut that Garmin have agreed to update all V7 maps to V8 for all purchasers of the i3? which imho is very decent of them.
As for the price of purchasing new maps as reported £70 as compared to Tom Tom for £40 then I have to ask why so expensive? or do NAV-TEC charge more than TELE ATLAS?

Best regards
Minidish
CamerAlert on Galaxy S2
Wife 4 backup
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minidish wrote:
I thought it was clear cut that Garmin have agreed to update all V7 maps to V8 for all purchasers of the i3?

My cut and paste above does not appear to indicate that.

For my £0.02 worth, i3 is superb for the money paid but if I can upgrade my mapping for free I will.

From what I have heard though the difference between v7 and v8 may not be worth parting with too much money if we are going to have to pay for the upgrade.

Nick.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minidish wrote:
I thought it was clear cut that Garmin have agreed to update all V7 maps to V8 for all purchasers of the i3?

As far as I know there has been no formal announcement of this, only hearsay. The friction is occurring because the situation doesn't appear to be clear. Or I might be completely wrong - can anyone point to an official announcement on Garmin's website?

Nickwolf wrote:
From what I have heard though the difference between v7 and v8 may not be worth parting with too much money if we are going to have to pay for the upgrade.

I'm inclined to agree. I have v7 on my Quest (upgraded for free from v6) and I would have to pay for the upgrade. I think I wil probably wait for v9 maps to come out and upgrade then.

There are errors in the v7 maps which have existed since the first v4 maps I used so I don't hold out too much hope that all the errors will be fixed in the next release!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: