Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP6 bugs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP6 bugs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: CP6 bugs Reply with quote

When in planning mode, I have journey times numerically equal to distance in miles. There is obviously a coding fault. That probably explains why I had some daft ETAs when navigating
I didn't think you had to pay to be a beta tester!
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't yet know how frequently the following happens, or if it is the same as the fault reported by Robin2. I am noticing that the distance of a route with waypoints seems rather too often to work out exactly the same distance as the route without them.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be a coinsdense im just using whats point in trying to find bugs in it if get you from a 2 b via 15 waypoints or not then it works
if it wont it doesnt

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: CP6 bugs Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
When in planning mode, I have journey times numerically equal to distance in miles. There is obviously a coding fault. That probably explains why I had some daft ETAs when navigating
I didn't think you had to pay to be a beta tester!
Robin

Do you mean that the Planning calculation shows a resulting itinerary, with, say, 37 miles and 37 minutes?

It's not clear that this is a bug, if your average trip speed is 60mph, which is rather average for me.

I don't see this behavior in my CP6. Do you see it for many or all trips?
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With reference to Alix776's above post, because it may be coincidence is why I wrote what I did tentatively - which is not a bad principle to follow when one is not sure. If it is not clear that I am being tentative, then I'll try harder

Just as I CERTAINLY AM NOT trying to find bugs (in fact, I'm anxious to find that the product is viable this time), I trust that you, Alix, are not trying to gloss over them when they exist. By the way, there is more to it than getting from A to B, as we all know very well, so why don't we all try to work with that firmly in mind.

With reference to BMWBiker's query, I usually use Shortest routing, and I was referring to routes that came out exactly the same mileage, decimal points and all, when the routes look considerably different in distance.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: CP6 bugs Reply with quote

BMWBiker wrote:

Do you mean that the Planning calculation shows a resulting itinerary, with, say, 37 miles and 37 minutes?

It's not clear that this is a bug, if your average trip speed is 60mph, which is rather average for me.

I don't see this behavior in my CP6. Do you see it for many or all trips?

Try, in planning mode, an itinerary from Swansea to Reading. Mine shows (from home, just outside Swansea) 153.1 miles, 153.09 hours. Now that's really slow!!

Robin
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen exactly the same, length of trip in miles = length in hours. When driving the ETA rolls down like a mad thing.

My suspicion is that this was because I was using a custom routing profile, set to default it seemed ok.

For what it's worth, cpl4 routed just fine for me, cpl5 was mostly fine with the occasional oddity, cpl6 seems worse.

I'm South of Newbury and travel up the A34 dual carriageway to the M40 North of Oxford frequently to visit Warwick, B'ham, M'chester etc. cpl4 took me up the A34 to the M40. cpl5 took me to the M4 at Newbury, west one junction then up to the M40, cp6 now routes me down the M3 to the M25 and up the M40.

Testing my home postcode also was approx 3 miles off, meaning I cannot rely on postcode routing and I can't even use the old 5 digits + pick a town anymore.

Can't get capital letters for POI names.

Hate the new custom scroll arrows versus drop down boxes or normal scroll bars.

Do like the POI's being on screen, yet to see traffic advice but fingers crossed.

As a supporter of cpl4 and cpl5 this one has rather deflated me. Hope the team can issue some fixes.

Regards

Crash
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree ....... I was hoping to see some improvements to the bugs noted in CP5 but instead they tried to redesign the whole interface and in the process seem to have created more problems than they may have solved. I was fairly happy with the previous interface. I'm still working on this one and having trouble finding the options or selection I want before the screen autmatically returns me to the map. Hopefully, they will correct some of the problems with some update releases.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reluctant to confuse matters, but I have been experimenting and am no longer getting the problem I mentioned with Shortest routes showing the same mileage before and after lengthening/shortening the route waypoints. Equally curiously, I'm not getting the distance=time problem reported by Robin2.

This seems to suggest that these anomalies coincide with certain routing conditions, yet to be identified.

I can also report that, having been optimistic about routing, I am no longer so confident. The routes I tried today in Planning mode in my search for examples of the problems discussed above illustrated that only on certain combinations of road type does CP 6 produce reasonable approximations to Shortest routes.

I'd like to endorse lynnk's call for update releases to deal with these issues promptly. What we want is for CP 6 to be a success. As has been shown in the past, putting these things right is beyond user-tweaking. The updates called for are therefore the way forward.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CP6 bugs Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:

Try, in planning mode, an itinerary from Swansea to Reading. Mine shows (from home, just outside Swansea) 153.1 miles, 153.09 hours. Now that's really slow!!

Robin

Clearly a bug, at least in the UK version of V6. Do you see the same behavior on the continent?

I have never seen this problem in my USA version.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten my EU maps yet for V6, can't try out what you see.

CP seems to be using a universal speed of 1mph on your planned trips.

I assume you mean that in guidance mode the itinerary times and distances are reasonable (if not perfect)?
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess to being completely baffled by the ETA display.

I drove from Nottingham down to Surrey, leaving sometime after 8pm. The ETA showed me arriving at 23:04, which seemed reasonable - although experience shows that I can do it in quite a bit less time, cough, cough.....

So I start driving, and then notice the ETA counting down, about one minute each second. After about 25 minutes, it reset to 23:04, and did the same. Initially I thought it was telling me time to arrival (i.e. number of minutes left), but that made no sense - I had no waypoints or anything in.

It simply seemed to count down all the time - not always one minute per second, but not far off. I actually found the whole thing completely useless. It was neither telling me the actual estimated time I would arrive - which is what I expected "ETA" to mean - nor the amount of time remaining - which though I did not think ETA meant, would at least have been an explanation.

And yes, I'm going to report this as a bug to ALK.

I have also seen the planning mode issue above where it gives you the number of hours equal to the distance.

I've had to problems with postcodes, however. All have been reasonably accurate. It may be worth checking if something like streetmap.co.uk shows the same error. In Google Earth, my home postcode is displayed several streets away from where I really am.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: CP6 bugs Reply with quote

BMWBiker wrote:

I assume you mean that in guidance mode the itinerary times and distances are reasonable (if not perfect)?

Well no actually. I used it today for a 4 mile journey near my home in guidance mode, and the ETA was about 4 hours ahead. As I drove home the ETA was counting down rapidly, by several minutes every hundred yards. So I guess the same calculation error applies in both planning and guidance modes

Interestingly, the error does not appear when planning a route on the desktop. The same journey came out at 15 minutes on the desktop

Robin
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
As has been shown in the past, putting these things right is beyond user-tweaking. The updates called for are therefore the way forward.

I hope you get better luck than we did in the past - ALK steadfastly refused to fix CP5.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right I see where you mean now guys the only waypoint routes I have produced is on the desktop which may be why I'm not seeing the eta /distance problem

as for the eta counting down rapidly it may be that in basic routing the mortorway setting is set to 55mph if you travel at ahem70 then the eta recaluation being dynamic will drop quickly but wouldn't have thought that quickly

on a sidenote has anyone had any out of memory messages on the smartphone version as I've had a few over the last couple of days

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Ponderous who asked if the incorrect journey calculation applied to other countries. As I have the pan-Europe version I downloaded some French maps onto a spare SD card and yes, journey times in hours equal distance in miles.
And there is the same crazy routing as you try to put in waypoints on the Calais to Soissons run to try to pin it down to the sensible A26-D1 route. A 150 mile route is inflated to about 210 miles with all the loops and returns which CoPilot insists upon
Robin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: