Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Non-Receptive Areas?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-Receptive Areas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naomi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Non-Receptive Areas? Reply with quote

Bought A TT1 a few days ago: first incyrsion into SATNAV for me but I am so impressed.
History: updated splash and added speed camera database yesterday. Went out and tested it, all worked impressively well.

So today, still in new toy mode, it was switched on as I drove the well trodden route to work. All Fine. As I reached work, it suddenly lost satellite contact. I was 5 metres from a 35 foot tall building, so half expected it. I did not expect it to remain once I had gone past and was 70 yards from the same building and on an open car park with no other buildings within 500 yards .
Messages on screen such as "lost GPS contact 1 minute 30 seconds ago" "No GPS Device". The unit also seemed to keep restarting...and then failing to pick up good GPS contact. And also it would dim the splash screen after a few seconds, and sometimes remained with the splash on screen. It would also not properly accept commands to change preferences, such as sound on and use daylight colours. So I went for a walk, and only once I had travelled some 500 yards, across a fairly open area, would it come back. Tried again lunchtime and only when I was away from here did the device again work properly. Returning post lunch in the car, same problem, same area. I even poked the reset button to no avail.

So the query is: Are there any GPS shadow areas within which I should expect these problems. How large can they be? It doesn't look as if my device is defective, just as if the area here is defective. All very odd, and I shall monitor it for a few days, and maybe walk off at 90 degrees to today's direction tomorrow.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to look at the sat info. Remember that the TT will need to have line of site to at least 3 sats.

Tall buildings can cause problems and getting a sat lock again mayy be a problem if signal is marginal do you have good signal when your TT is in the car?
Naomi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoeknee wrote:

Tall buildings can cause problems and getting a sat lock again mayy be a problem if signal is marginal do you have good signal when your TT is in the car?

Once out of this particular area all seems fine: even in a school quadrangle with tall buildings on all sides.

70 yards from the only nearby tall building, and one of only 3 stories , about 35 to 40 feet tall, surely all should be fine? It will be interesting to see the score on Monday.

Are the satellites in geostationary equatorial orbit?
GaryBeers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naomi wrote:
Are the satellites in geostationary equatorial orbit?

No - they move!
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naomi

While it is possible to have areas of poor GPS reception even under the open sky conditions (there could be sources of electro-magnetic interference around, such as computers, mobile phone network base stations, radio relay stations, etc, etc), everything else you describe points to some fault with your ONE. I would get it replaced if I were you.
Naomi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
Naomi

While it is possible to have areas of poor GPS reception even under the open sky conditions (there could be sources of electro-magnetic interference around, such as computers, mobile phone network base stations, radio relay stations, etc, etc), everything else you describe points to some fault with your ONE. I would get it replaced if I were you.

Thanks Eldar. I'll watch what happens for a few days first before considering a return. Once I had left that area it worked just fine for the rest of the evening. The building near which I had the problem does indeed contain a lot of computers/servers and comms gear so that is also worth my thinking about. A friend who works in the same building has a 300, so I shall ask him whether he has similar experience. I do know the chipset is different to the ONE.
I'll also drive into and between the higher buildings in Manchester today, so as to establish an idea of how the reception changes there.

Cheers
buyrvrvvtiu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a large area in Bolton ( at least a sq. mile) where my TOMTOM goes crazy. No tall buildings around. If it is interferance then it's permanent because even 12 months after the first time I noticed it, it is still bad.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: