Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS and ebay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS and ebay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: GPS and ebay Reply with quote

Just a word of warning - there are hundreds of scam listings for GPS systems on ebay at the moment. Nearly all are for sellers from Beijing, China or Beijing, Ireland or Chile or whatever.
All ask for Western Union payment and all have about 12 really dodgy feedbacks.
Unfortunately, there are those who completely ignore all the signs and are bidding on these items and then bleating afterwards that they have been ripped off. Saw a guy lose £450 the other day.
So if you see a GPS system for about 50 Euros, it's not a bargain, it's non existant.
nigel1100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post dougprocter.
I have also noticed that these sellers only have positive feedback for sellers , not buyers. So it looks like they buy a few small and cheap items to create a list of good feedback.
How many of us actually check to see where the feedback has come from?
I know I have started checking both sides, sellers and buyers, before bidding.
Also a good idea to only buy things from sellers who only accept Paypal, watch out for them adding Paypal fees though.
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigel1100 wrote:
... watch out for them adding Paypal fees though.

Any item I'm interested in which mentions Paypal fees being added gets this sent to them

'Please note that your statement '(Direct quote from the Ebay item page inserted here)' is not allowed under Ebay's rules.

See the section 'Surcharge Policies ... Electronic Money Services' at:-

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/community/png-list.html#14 '

I've had quite a few responses, ranging from 'Thanks ! - I was unaware I couldn't do this - I've removed it from the page', through 'Everyone puts this in - but I never insist on it being paid !' to 'I'll do what I like - keep your nose out of my business !' - the latter ones get reported to Ebay !

Every seller has had to agree to abide by Ebay's rules and they receive updates as appropriate, so there's absolutely no excuse for any seller to demand their Ebay or Paypal fees be paid by the buyer.

Philip
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, lots of people try many things on ebay to boost their profits. Inflated postal charges are another way of getting more money. Unfortunately, many don't read further down than the title and then wonder why they get ripped off, some for hundreds of £'s.
The latest mass posting mentions "pay by Western Union and payment will be proceeded and be by my side in two hours". Obviously no word for processed in Chinese/English dictionary!
As i sdaid previously, leave GPS well alone until after Xmas, it is very difficult to spot the real ones. Have a look yourself, some of the feedback given by these scammers is hilarious.
Doug
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd be careful with ebay. I am out $600 because of a ticket selling scammer and a few of my friends have been screwed with the new xbox.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the scams are really quite believable, it just takes care and some experience. The XBox over here is just as bad with people selling stuff they haven't got or even empty boxes!
Sorry for your loss.
Doug
netsurfer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that long ago someone got ripped for £470 for a PHOTO of an xbox 360 - be very careful with misleading advertisements, ebay dont seem to care about how they get their money these days.

A full report on the auction was posted on theregister, an internet and technology news site

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/08/xbox_photo_auction/

p
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

especially with the great deals around the holiday, i dont think ebay is a smart choice. I saw you can save $85 on the TT300 at bestbuy.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: