Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which phone and sat nav package should I choose?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which phone and sat nav package should I choose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sotonsparky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Which phone and sat nav package should I choose? Reply with quote

Could you possibly give me some good advice on choosing a suitable phone and sat-nav package. I am due an upgrade on my from Orange and decided that now would be a good time to choose a phone which would be able to run a sat-nav package. So this is hopefully where you lot come in, with all your knowledge and expertise.

I would like the following features / answers,

A suggestion for a good combination of phone and sat-nav.
Good voice instructions as I know the screen will be too small to see whilst driving.
An upgradeable package as they build new roads / housing developments around here every week.
An idea of the cost of running a live traffic system to avoid hold ups etc.
The ability to use a walking service.

I think that is probably enough for starters Exclamation

I look forward to your suggestions and comments.

Thanks in advance.

Sotonsparky Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum,
Your question is a little like asking someone to recomend a type of car prior to purchase.
Sat-nav and phones are down to personal likes and dislikes. May I sugest you ask the shop who supplys the phone as to its capabilities with respect to opperating sat-nav software before you purchase it, also consider switching supplier you might get a cheaper deal elsewhere.
Your comment about the screen being too small is true for most phones, why not consider a PDA style phone? great as a sat-nav display but large as a phone.
For Orange devices check out SPV M 1500, SPV M 2000, and the SPV M 5000, there are plenty of others to pick from that will work.
Once you get your device you will need the software for Sat-Nav, possibly storage card, a car holder and GPS unit.
Have a read around the various forums to get more info (try scrolling down to the OTHER GPS FORUMS, Windows Mobile 2002/2003 (Pocket PC), and Windows Mobile 2003 (SmartPhones) - Mike
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree the screen is too small to see when you are driving. I can see my mobile screen perfectly fine thankyouverymuch :P

Personally I would recommend TomTom Mobile 5, from various comments it seems to be the market leader.

Going from that you should look at the list of compatible phones on the www.tomtom.com site and then choose which ever one you think looks best for you.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the choice of software you have depends on the phone you choose for example a nokia 6600 with this you are limited to either tomtom or navicore the same can be said for the sony erricson p910i as you are limited to either tomtom or wayfinder

if you went for a windows powered smartphone ie orange spvc500 or c550 or a t mobile sda or motorola mpx then you have the choice of either copilot or tomtom or some medion software (sorry the correct name escapes me at the moment ) only having used copilot though I have seen ttmobile in action and my personal choice would be copilot 6 smrtphone as the display has much simpler layout and has all the features that totmtom has
copilot 6 is available on some motorola phones too

the is ofcourse wayfinder to but I wouldn't recommend it as having reviews of it it could expensive to run
all you need to do now is decide what phone you want or you could got the pda/phone route like the imate kjam or xda mini these run windows pocket pc smartphone and with this you could use any pocket pc software and you then get a wider choice of what is available to you

sorry if I've gone on a bit hopefully this might have helpped you

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at present i have TomTom Mobile 5 on my Nokia N70 which has worked fine for me over the last month or so. I have also been running TomTom Nav 5 on I-mate Jam which is a phone/PDA and again not had much problems but i would recommend that you do the ROM upgrades on the PDA. I also used Wayfinder on my older Nokia 7610 which is great if you travel Europe as you don’t hold the map data you download it as you go, only down fall is you have to pay for the GPRS.

All in all i would say tomtom mobile 5 is great if you want to use a more standard phone but if you are looking into a PDA/Phone then look at TomTom Nav 5 or Destinator etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: