Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie first post pocket GPS in a convertible
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie first post pocket GPS in a convertible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
estocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Newbie first post pocket GPS in a convertible Reply with quote

Hello

I am intrerseted in users experience about how GPS, specically Bluetooth enabled PDAs and Smartphones dislpays perform. I have need of a device supporting TMC (via Bluetooth GNS 5840) that will work in a convertible but a DIN slot is not available.

Can you tell me about your PDA and Samrtphones are they visible in the sun, are the speakers loud enough? Before I buy and try!

Cheers
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Ipaq 6340 which is a combined PDA and quad band phone. It works very well running on PPC 2003 with TT5.

Volume can be a problem with any none-built in unit, especially when your top is down and you are relying upon either the built in speaker or the little speaker on a power mount. However I have got over that by fitting a Parrot CK3300 combined bluetooth car kit and sat nav receiver. I have it wired up through the the car audio so that it functions in the same way as a built in unit. When I get a direction or camera warning from the sat nav the radio mutes (or comes on if it is off) and the sound comes through the car audio. Same thing when phone rings.

With phone calls the conversation comes through the car audio (and takes precedence over the sat nav directions) but the sat nav screen stays on the PDA, so I can still see the directions on that. I can make calls, look up my stored phone numbers and hang up using the Parrot control unit so i can keep the sat nav screen on all the time. The Parrot also has voice recognition so you can make calls by saying the name (and also hang up). Another advantage is that I can control volume of sat nav or phone by using the steering wheel volume buttons.

Reflections can always be a problem with any system screen. I have my Ipaq mounted on a combined holder and charger (can't remember name at the moment) that has a swivel mount - so I can normally position it to get the least reflection.

All in all I am very pleased with my system. The Parrot will work with many bluetooth smartphones, not just the Ipaq 6340. Also if you don't need the phone bit you can buy a Parrot 3100, but I am not sure if that can route the sounds through the car audio and how it would interface with a seperate car kit (could both try talking at the same time)

Make sure you get it fitted by somebody who knows about them (I would recomend www.justcarkits.co.uk). Also make sure the Parrot has been flash upgraded to the lastest software.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: