Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which GPS to take on trip to England - Navman or TomTom ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which GPS to take on trip to England - Navman or TomTom ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug_dorbuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Which GPS to take on trip to England - Navman or TomTom ? Reply with quote

Hello, I live in the United States and own a Navman icn520 with the smartst2005 software and I also own the TomTom v5 software for my bluetooth pda. Each unit only has maps of the united states and canada and before I spend over $150.00 on maps of europe I would like advise on which gps family offers better coverage of western europe and which one will serve me best for this trip. For this trip we are traveling only in Great Britain but will return in a few years to visit other locations.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Doug
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a preference I believe. Personally, I prefer tomtom (which claims 99% coverage in the UK).

However, if you are coming here for a holiday and not returning for a couple of years, it may be better / cheaper to hire one from the car rental company. The maps will be out of date by the time you return.
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both have good coverage of England and most of the rest of Europe. But is does depend what you mean by "Great Britain" (of which England is only a part), because Tom Tom is not good at the moment for Ireland (North or South) - which I know is not part of GB but is sometimes confused as such.

It is down to personal preference and setting up for use in the car. Generally dedicated units are easier to move between cars as they have their own mounts, built in receiver etc, so that may decide it in favour of the Navman.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
doug_dorbuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. Our trip to GB will only include visiting London and then heading north into the country but not making it to Scotland. My wife is from the north and we will be spending quite a bit of time up in that area, she also has family outside London so we will be visiting places there too.
I guess I just want a little assurance that TomTom or Navman currently have better city wide maps of Great Britain. Navman will only sell me the version 3 of the western europe maps which I assume are older than the SmartSt2005 US maps I currently use on the navman. TomTom's v5 maps (at least on paper) seem to be newer. At this point I am leaning toward TomTom since the maps are cheaper than Navman.

Thanks again.

Doug
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

All of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) has been 100% mapped for some time now so you can be assured that you will get full coverage. Older maps may have a few errors in them but the coverage is complete.

You might want to have a look at Mapopolis, they have a demo that you can try and I think the maps can be used for 10 days. I'm sure a lot of people make use of this demo when they are going somewhere and they only need mapping for a few days.

Enjoy your trip!
doug_dorbuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy and everyone else. Thank you for your comments.
I plan on taking the TomTom now.

Thanks again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: