Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Comet UK - The Worse
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Comet UK - The Worse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galaxia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Comet UK - The Worse Reply with quote

Hello Everyone

After getting my Navman PiN 750 on Wensday as a gift from my mum for getting my Theory Test passed first time(hehe). All was well till I charged it up. After waiting 3 hours for it to charge fully I switched it on. Only to find a nice white blank screen.... So I waited about 15 minutes for it to come on and nothing so I took it back to Comet(Leeds) and they said

"Sorry we are unable to refund or replace this because it's had too much overuse"

Ok so taking it out of the box and chargeuing it up is overuse?
So I came back home and phoned Navman from there contact details on there site. Navman then gave me a number to tell Comet to call. So back to comet I went but they refused to call this number Rolling Eyes

So back home to phone them and I was told by them to phone there "Legal Office" and they then went onto phone comet and after messing about for 8 hours they finaly give me a replacement 570!
But the good news doesn't keep going after I tried to register my new 570 on the website with no luck I phoned Navman again and they told me the serial number was a registerd Demo 570 they used in store to show ppl it working.
So back yo Comet to sort it out AGAIN!
to put a long story short I started this at 9am and it was 8:30pm before I finaly got a new non demo working 570!!!
HURRAY FOR ME

so just a note to anyone dealing with Comet.
BE CAREFUL!
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They treated you disgracefully. Your contract is with Comet and they are obliged to ensure that the item is fit for purpose and reasonable quality. By the sound of it youe Navman wasn't. I suspect that you may be (relatively) young and they probably thought you would give in and accept what they told you. Well done for getting the result you were legally entitled to and shame on Comet for making you struggle to get it.
camel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep - nothing to do with Navman - you have a contract with Comet in this case for them to supply you with an item of merchantable quality, fit for the purpose described etc regardless of whether it was a demo or not (unless maybe marked as "sold as seen"/"not guaranteed", and even then ...)

Incidentally I assume that you/your mum was told this was an ex-demo model when you bought it ... otherwise very dodgy practice anyway - after all you wouldn't accept a "new" car at new price from a dealer with 2k miles on the clock would you ?

Well done for sticking to your guns (and congrats on passing your test Smile )
Galaxia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

my mother bought it as Brand New not ex demo or tester she picked the one she wanted the first one was new but didnt work the 2nd was the ex demo and finaly the last one is new and is PERFECT
smcaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moral of this story is don't ever shop at Comet. It is a lesson I have learnt more then once, They seem to think that the small print on the back of their receipts over ride the laws of this land (which of course they dont). I have not shopped there for a number of years due to their very dodgy practises, they are a shameful company who don't deserve to be in business. (note to mods, all this is based on fact, if they (comet) want to sue for lible then I am quite happy to present my evidence in court Laughing Laughing )
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say Navman customer services are quite impressive. Unlike....
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a palm zire organiser from comet over the internet. Took much longer to arrive than I'd paid for, then arrived on the wrong day at the wrong time. Charged it up and half the screen was burnt out :x Called them and they were fine about it, took it back, got a refund and bought one from dabs instead.
Road_Hog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had very bad experience with comet over a sat tv system which continually broke down plus the store manager's refusal to be proactive, I'd avoid them like the plague now.

In fact, I only use them as a bargaing chip when I go elsewhere to buy and drive the price down.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to comet the other week to buy a new Dyson as the old one had finally given up the ghost.

I found one there that was up for £209 or something, and the guy went away to get it and came back and said it was actually £239. I said that they have the price marked on the shelf as £209 so they have to sell it to me for that price. He wouldn't have it and said he'd meet me halfway at £225 or something. I told him to shove it (although not quite so rudely) and went and bought it from Allders.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go in store and wish to have your purchase delivered you will have to pay up to £20 for delivery. If you buy from the Comet website you get free delivery!

I have bought from Comet twice. The first time was a dishwasher in store along with a 5 year "premium refunded if you don't make a claim" warranty (yes, I did get the money back).

The last time was a washer 'cos it was the cheapest on the web. They took the old one away too so I my experience has been ok.
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
I went to comet the other week to buy a new Dyson as the old one had finally given up the ghost.

I found one there that was up for £209 or something, and the guy went away to get it and came back and said it was actually £239. I said that they have the price marked on the shelf as £209 so they have to sell it to me for that price.

No they don't have to sell it at that price.

The price is only interpreted as an invitaion to buy. By taking it to the check-out you are accepting an offer. However the retailer is prefectly within there rights to change their offer and charge a higher, or lower price.
Most stores will (within reason) reduce the price as a good-will gesture, but they are under NO obligation to do so. If worse comes to worse, they reserve the right to refuse sale or they can also withdraw the item from sale for a period of 24 hours.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's still misleading and they lost not only this business, but probably a reasonable amount of future business from me as well.

As far as I'm concerned, if a firm advertises a product at a certain price (which to me includes a ticket in-store) then I expect to be able to buy it for that price.
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but it's a common misconception that if a product is wrongly advertised, it's your right to have it at the reduced price.

I've had refuse sale before because a trainee has made a ticketing error. Didn't make me popular, but firms can't be selling items at a loss.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legal position is not that simple. The law of contract, and especially when and how a contract becomes binding has lots of little odd "rules". A contract is basically made when an offer made by one party is unconditionally accepted by the other Party. Prices in a shop are generally considered not be "offers", but are "invitations to treat". So the offer is usually made by the buyer, when he offers to buy the goods, and accepted by the seller when he agrees.

However in the case of buying the Dyson at Comet I believe there probably was a contract. The buyer had seen the item and offered to buy it at that price. The shop assistant had probably accepted that offer (on behalf of Comet) by agreeing to collect the item from the store. The contract became binding at that point and the shop could not renege on it without being in breach of contract.

The shop would not be able to rely upon their small print excluding such an event unless it was brought to your attention before the contract was made, i.e. before they accepted your offer. The chances of that are remote. In any event such small print would probably be voidable under the Unfair Conditions in Consumer Contracts Regulations.

See what I mean about being not as simple as it seems ....... It all depends on the facts of the case.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the law is completely clear, what can you do about it? The store refuses point-blank to sell at that price so what option is there? I could take legal action or something against them but that is obviously stupid and a complete waste of time and money.

All I can do is walk out and buy elsewhere, which is then an inconvenience but the only sensible thing to do.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: