Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best POI software ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best POI software ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedstagg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Best POI software ? Reply with quote

How do these POI asisst programs work? Does the program need to be running alongside TomTom? Does this have any memory implications?

Also, could anyone give me an idea how much the software costs?

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Best POI software ? Reply with quote

CheckPOInt is free, all run alongside TTnav and have a small memory overhead. CheckPOInt runs fine on my 3630 so it should be happy on anything. GPSAssist and POI-Warner are paid for apps, GPSAssist won't run on my machine as it has a larger overhead than others.

Give CheckPOInt a go (available on our download page here) grab our safety camera POI database here and follow the set-up guide at the bottom of that page
woodpecker
Occasional Visitor

I've read the reviews but would like some opions, which is the best POI software to go with Tomtom2? Mainly for camera warnings etc

Checkpoint 2.02

POIWarner

GPSAssist

Thanks.
genes
Occasional Visitor

Hi Woodpecker

I use Checkpoint as it is free and it works fine but make sure that you download version 2.02 from this web site as the latest version 3x is causing a few problems!

Terry
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

As the driver of a high top camper van I would like to know if there is any way of being warned about low bridges and also road narrowing/traffic calming/driver aggravating schemes?

I belong to a motorhome forum and two different members (both with TomTom 2) have written that they had been directed through Carcassonne this summer and had to reverse and then turn round (holding up lots of traffic) because of a low bridge!!!! I'm not talking about car parks and height barriers, but low bridges. What do lorry drivers do? Thanks, Buffy :0)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I'm with Terry - I use CheckPOInt, and I strongly suggest using version 2.0.2 rather than the latest version 3. You can get that from the downloads page on this site - click here to download directly.

If you find you don't get on with CheckPOInt, you can buy one of the alternatives - but why not try the free option first?

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Buffy Beagle on 29 July 2003

What do lorry drivers do? Thanks, Buffy :0)

Well I can't say what lorry drivers do, but looking at insurance claims, most bus drivers seem to just give it a go and wedge their buses under the bridge and wait for a crane to pull them out.
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

Thanks Dave :0] I think I need to write to Norbert Dentressangle or Eddie Stobbart. Wasn't there a joke about the lorry stuck under a bridge and the policeman said "Are you stuck under this bridge?" and the driver said "No, I'm just delivering it, and stopping to check the route as I don't want to get lost with this wide load".    Buffy :0))))))
genes
Occasional Visitor

Hi Buffy Beagle

I drive a Bessacarr E745 which is 10 ft 6 inches high and I use the Truck drivers road atlas to identify the bridges that I cannot get under.

Armed with this information I use Autoroute I pinpoint the long/lat and make my own POI file for TomTom.

I then either use Checkpoint to warn me of the obstruction or avoid that road by using the 'Avoid Roadblock' facility in TomTom

I have also added some width restrictions as I come across them.

Hope this helps

Terry
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

WOW! Terry, would you be willing to share your POI file?

Could it perhaps be included in the files of the motorhome forum I belong to at:

http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk

There are lots of POI files there already . . . so anyone that joins that forum will benefit. Buffy :0)))))

genes
Occasional Visitor

Hi Buffy

No worries but my low bridges are just UK - No European ones yet but I am happy to post to the forum for you.

I also have all of the Caravan Club and Camping and Caravan Club sites both their own and the CL's for TomTom if they are of use.

Shortly I will be doing the Motorcaravanners Club sites also.

Regards Terry
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

Excellent news Terry. Thankyou :0) Hugh has submitted National Trust, English Heritage and others so hopefully there will be something of interest to you. I have emailed the List owner as I am not sure what we do next, and will get back to you. Thanks again, Buffy :0)
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

Hi Terry :0) Until Hugh got home last night I hadn't realised the Pocket GPS forum has its own POI files, so I emailed Dave about netiquette and he suggests your file goes onto both forums.     

So, could you please email your low bridges POI file (and any others you are happy to share?)to Dave and he will add them to the Pocket GPS website and also to the POI-Sync service. Hugh will then add it to the Motorhome List. And thanks very much ;0)

I would have emailed you, but like us, you haven't advertised your email address on the forum presumably because of spam. Do those of you that include your email address notice an increase in duff mail? Buffy :0)

cornz
Lifetime Member

Well, I like POIwarner (www.navigating.de) Yes, it does cost ££ but its less than half the cost one speeding ticket, plus the author is helpful.. I dont mind paying for genuinely useful software like this. Give the demo a go. It does 100's of POI's but i use it solely for speed cameras.

Also, GPSassist rocks but there is nothing happening with it any more....Baited breath...

Cornz...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: